boy was i ever ripped off!

Old 07-05-2010, 12:40 PM

I would ask the owner to send me a two yard piece of the one that should have been two yards and tell her you will send her back the one yard piece. That should convince her you aren't just trying to be difficult.

And if that fails, I would let her know that you are involved in some quilt boards that you will be sharing your bad experience with, and naming the store. You have a duty to warn others when you know of a store that has a pattern of poor customer service.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:40 PM

I always check receipts and fabric before leaving stores. If you don't understand the receipt ASK someone about it. Unfortunately, people are human and make mistakes (some stores rely on a computer inventory system that doesn't completely get the correct price updates, etc.) and not everyone is out to get us. When a discrepancy has occured I have never had an issue. If I feel there is a deliberate mistake I get an immediate refund and walk away. If there is a no refund policy that I find out about AFTER the fact then I make sure I never use that establishment again.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:18 PM
Power Poster

you really have to watch them ring things up these days. even in grocery stores.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:23 PM

The Hancocks here in OKC has a handheld gadget that puts your sale price on a code strip. They don't write anything down anymore. Most of the people at the one I go to are new and young. I ask them the price on each piece they cut just to be sure everything is working correctly. Also, I watch them cut because they try to cut EXACTLY on the line for the yardage you have asked for. If I ask for 1/4 yard and they cut crooked by an inch or two I may not get the strips I need.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:25 PM

The lesson here....if the bill seems high....check it before you leave the store...Sorry you had such a bad experience. Hopefully the owner will make it right....I would also tell her about the rude way her employee talked to you!! :|
Old 07-05-2010, 02:00 PM

If this happened to me I would try everything possible to stop the payment. If I wrote a check or used a debit card - I would pay the stop payment fee at the bank. If using a credit card - I would be calling the cc company to see if the purchase was large enough to be covered by the guarantee policy. I would certainly report this store to the Better Business Bureau.

I agree with you - it sounds like they are making mistakes on purpose. I am sick of feeling like I've been robbed everytime I go shopping or open the mail. I have started fighting back and I don't care who I make mad. Good luck with this - I hope the shop owner makes things right for you and apologizes for the rude, poorly trained employee he/she has hired and trusts with their customers and business.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:03 PM
Power Poster

If you paid with a credit card and you don't get satisfaction from the shop owner, you can write to the credit card company. They will stop payment to the store until the problem is resolved to the credit card company's satisfaction. It's very easy to do. The instructions and mailing address should be on your credit card statement.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:04 PM

Wow, I can see one mistake, but three???? How may other customers are they short changing. I think you have fair cause to report them to the local better business bureau. There sloppiness and bad attitude need to be reported.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:09 PM

Wow, I can't believe they are that careless, and then rude about it. My LQS is so different. I've never had them be anything but extremely helpful, they make reasonably generous cuts, and several times she has caught small mistakes (like precut strips that were 2 1/4" and not 2 and 1/2", so she just gave them to me for free.)

It's just habit for me to watch as my fabric is being cut, however, since it can get confusing when you load them up with a stack of four or five bolts and have different yardage requests for each.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:09 PM

Sorry that happened to you. I always watch now. LQSs always seem to cut right on the line and it seems like their cuts are always an inch or more off.