Butter or Margarine

Old 04-02-2012, 08:38 AM

We are also butter eaters here. I don't believe the "experts" are as expert as they claim. I have a friend who had high cholesterol for years, it was up to 320. She went on the diet, no butter, no red meat, no eggs, and took meds for 25 years. The lowest cholesterol reading she was ever able to get to was 240. Then, she started breaking out in rashes, went to lots of doctors who did nothing to find what the cause was, only prescribed creams for the rash. She finally went to a naturalist (amazing, since she's the very definition of a skeptic), did some testing. She had to stop eating all corn products, flour, soy, sugar, and everything processed. But, she DID start eating red meat, eggs, and clarified butter. Her cholesterol dropped to 200!!!

FYI, while I agree with those who dislike margarine, the "one molecule away from plastic" argument doesn't impress me much - hydrogen peroxide is only one molecule away from water, lol.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by lvaughan View Post
Now, I will probably shock some of you, by saying, I bought some Lard last week. Of course, I grew up with my Grandmother and Mom cooking with lard and remember how tasty pan fried potatoes were.
I think studies are showing that lard isn't as bad as they thought. http://www.slate.com/articles/life/f...9/06/lard.html

I've been watching Rick Bayless on PBS and he uses lard all the time. At first it freaked me out because "lard is such a bad fat" but I started researching. I remember growing up mom always saved the bacon and saugage grease for pan frying later and it made everything so much more tastier.

It looks like you have to read the label careful, they have hydrogenated lard now. Which is crazy, because lard is firm at room temp. Wasn't that the reason behind hydrogenating?

To the OP, I use the low cal Smart Balance because it's easy to spread and doesn't go bad as quickly as butter. I like butter best, but I use such small amounts occasionally that it picks up fridge and freezer odors so badly or goes rancid. So for dinner parties and baking I use butter when I know I'll use most of the package.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:14 AM

I sometimes hear people say that they use margarine or some other concoction and they say "it tastes just like butter," I want to ask on what planet? Almost the same as "it tastes like chicken," when they are talking frog legs. LOL
Old 04-02-2012, 09:42 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Painiacs View Post
I like butter but doesn't spread on toast and in humid areas goes bad fast! I also have high cholesterol so what do I use??
I use whipped butter for spreading and keep it outside the fridge. Have never had it go bad. Maybe worth trying a container of it.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:05 AM
Power Poster

I use sweet cream salted butter when I need to use butter. I use organic expeller pressed coconut oil instead of butter in most baked goods and as a spread instead of butter. Your body does not absorb the fat from coconut oil as it does other oils. The coconut oil is solid like butter not pourable like oil. Only the virgin coconut oil has a slight taste. Do not use LouAnn's coconut oil. It's expressed with solvents. Walmart sells the good stuff in a pint jar, about the cost of real butter.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:13 PM

I too have been using real butter.....i remember my mom who lived to be 99 1/2 always using butter and eating an egg each morning......her mantra was everything in moderation. Yes I remember her pies always baked using lard.....She was as sharp as a tack to the end and walked everyday.....
Old 04-02-2012, 12:46 PM

a caterer I used to work for showed us how to make whipped butter. instead of oil use ice chips. put butter in bowl and add a few ice chips at a time and just keep mixing with a mixer until you have whipped butter. much better than oil.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:23 PM

Butter! That other stuff has too many chemicals in it.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:48 PM

Ain't nothing like the REAL thing!! Never could stand margarine or spread...If I wanted fake maybe...
Old 04-02-2012, 02:50 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by crtwelvecats View Post
a caterer I used to work for showed us how to make whipped butter. instead of oil use ice chips. put butter in bowl and add a few ice chips at a time and just keep mixing with a mixer until you have whipped butter. much better than oil.

Why add ice chips (and/or oil)?
.... keep it pure and plain butter for the BEST!!!!