Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cancel your credit cards before you die

I THINK THAT THESE PEOPLE MOST LIKELY DEAL WITH FRAUDULANT DEATH CLAIMS ALL DAY EVERY DAY. PEOPLE MOSTLY LIKELY GET IN OVER THEIR HEADS, CAN'T PAY THEIR BILLS AND CLAIM THAT THEY HAVE DIED. OR THE CARD HOLDER IS SCAMMING THE CREDIT CARD COMPANIES WITH DEATH CLAIMS. I DON'T THINK I'D BLAME THE COMPANY AS MUCH AS I WOULD THE SOCIETY THAT WE LIVE IN.

They have insurance just for that reason. You just got hold of a couple of dump a.........

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
    : Cancel your credit cards before you die!!

HOW TRUE THIS IS...DEALING WITH THESE TYPES OF PEOPLE...

A REAL SHAKE YOUR HEAD

Now some people are really stupid!!!!

Be sure and cancel your credit cards before you die.

This is so priceless, and so, so easy to see happening, customer service being what it is today..

A lady died this past January, and Citibank billed her for February and March for their annual service charges on her credit card, and added late fees and interest on the monthly charge. The balance had been $0.00 when she died, but now somewhere around $60.00. A family member placed a call to Citibank.

Here is the exchange :

Family Member: 'I am calling to tell you she died back in January.'

Citibank: 'The account was never closed and the late fees and charges still apply.'

Family Member: 'Maybe, you should turn it over to collections. '

Citibank: 'Since it is two months past due, it already has been.'

Family Member: So, what will they do when they find out she is dead?'

Citibank: 'Either report her account to frauds division or report her to the credit bureau, maybe both!'

Family Member: 'Do you think God will be mad at her?'

Citibank: 'Excuse me?'

Family Member: 'Did you just get what I was telling you - the part about her being dead?'

Citibank: 'Sir, you'll have to speak to my supervisor'

Supervisor gets on the phone:

Family Member: 'I'm calling to tell you, she died back in January with a $0 balance.'

Citibank: 'The account was never closed and late fees and charges still apply.'

Family Member: 'You mean you want to collect from her estate?'

Citibank: (Stammer) 'Are you her lawyer?'

Family Member: 'No, I'm her great nephew.' (Lawyer info was given)

Citibank: 'Could you fax us a certificate of death?'

Family Member: 'Sure.' (Fax number was given )

After they get the fax :

Citibank: 'Our system just isn't setup for death.. I don't know what more I can do to help.'

Family Member: 'Well, if you figure it out, great! If not, you could just keep billing her. She won't care.'

Citibank: 'Well, the late fees and charges will still apply

(What is wrong with these people?!?)

Family Member: 'Would you like her new billing address?'

Citibank: 'That might help....'

Family Member: ' Odessa Memorial Cemetery , Highway 129, Plot Number 69.'

Citibank: 'Sir, that's a cemetery!'

Family Member: 'And what do you do with dead people on your planet???'

(Priceless!! )

Cancel your credit cards before you die!!

HOW TRUE THIS IS...DEALING WITH THESE TYPES OF PEOPLE...

A REAL SHAKE YOUR HEAD

Now some people are really stupid!!!!

Be sure and cancel your credit cards before you die.

This is so priceless, and so, so easy to see happening, customer service being what it is today..

A lady died this past January, and Citibank billed her for February and March for their annual service charges on her credit card, and added late fees and interest on the monthly charge. The balance had been $0.00 when she died, but now somewhere around $60.00. A family member placed a call to Citibank.

Here is the exchange :

Family Member: 'I am calling to tell you she died back in January.'

Citibank: 'The account was never closed and the late fees and charges still apply.'

Family Member: 'Maybe, you should turn it over to collections. '

Citibank: 'Since it is two months past due, it already has been.'

Family Member: So, what will they do when they find out she is dead?'

Citibank: 'Either report her account to frauds division or report her to the credit bureau, maybe both!'

Family Member: 'Do you think God will be mad at her?'

Citibank: 'Excuse me?'

Family Member: 'Did you just get what I was telling you - the part about her being dead?'

Citibank: 'Sir, you'll have to speak to my supervisor'

Supervisor gets on the phone:

Family Member: 'I'm calling to tell you, she died back in January with a $0 balance.'

Citibank: 'The account was never closed and late fees and charges still apply.'

Family Member: 'You mean you want to collect from her estate?'

Citibank: (Stammer) 'Are you her lawyer?'

Family Member: 'No, I'm her great nephew.' (Lawyer info was given)

Citibank: 'Could you fax us a certificate of death?'

Family Member: 'Sure.' (Fax number was given )

After they get the fax :

Citibank: 'Our system just isn't setup for death.. I don't know what more I can do to help.'

Family Member: 'Well, if you figure it out, great! If not, you could just keep billing her. She won't care.'

Citibank: 'Well, the late fees and charges will still apply

(What is wrong with these people?!?)

Family Member: 'Would you like her new billing address?'

Citibank: 'That might help....'

Family Member: ' Odessa Memorial Cemetery , Highway 129, Plot Number 69.'

Citibank: 'Sir, that's a cemetery!'

Family Member: 'And what do you do with dead people on your planet???'

(Priceless!! )
    MAN I CAN NOT BELIEVE HOW STUPID PEOPLE CAN BE DEAD IS DEAD,JUST KEEP BILLING.

I could add our experiences to the list, as we received dunning letters after my MIL died. It was crazy. And that was nearly 30 years ago. I do not blame the credit card companies for wanting proof of death, but surely they could contact the lawyer, as requested, rather than the grieving family.

This same thing happened to us. Our daughter was killed in an accident and her cell phone company kept calling about her bill. I kept telling them she was dead but they kept telling me that she had a contract and was obligated to pay. It was so painfull every time I took a call from them.

Pinecone

Can't stop laughing - probably be laughing all day...

I love/hate that commercial

Blog Entries
    some times death happens- unexpectedly- it is not possible to cancel in advance-unless you have an expiration date stamped somewhere.

Blog Entries
    Three years after my mom passed I received a doctor bill from the insurance company. I sent it back with a death certificate and told them if they did not know she was dead after three years that was there problem there was no money left. Never heard from them again.

I had a similar situation, but not with a death. My dad had been in a nursing home in IL (where he lives), but when they moved him to another one (in IL), they started sending me the bills in CA (where I lived).

Since he is responsible for his own bills, I just sent them on to him, but they did have his address, so I was curious why they were sending them to me. Eventually, he got it straightened out.

If it weren't such a nightmare, it would be funny. My mother-in-law died and someone forwarded all her mail to my house. Every place I called was an ordeal. They would ask for death certificates....at $25 per copy here I would give them the address of the clerk of records at the county office. When I called to turn her phone service off they asked if I was taking responsibility for her bill..."No", I answered. The lady said I could ndodt turn the service off unless I was so I told her to forget the call and swallow the charges when someone decides to run up the bill. It took fully 2 years to put an end to everything.

funny but sad at the same time.

OMG - really makes you think !

I'd cancel them just before I was going if I knew when I was going. Nah, on second thought, let THEM figure it out. I'll copy the address to the Pearly Gates and give them that, LOL.

It seems funny now but this could almost be a verbatim account of issues we had with our Mother's VISA acct after she died!

Blog Entries
    When my mother passed away, my sister in law got very defensive about her SSN. When I asked "Why?" she informed me that identity theft was rampant and did I know what that was? :lol:

"Yep", I told her, and then asked just how someone stealing Mom's identity now was going to hurt her credit rating, and how that would affect her?

She shut up. ;)

Blog Entries
    priceless it is!

Quote Originally Posted by chance
    Pinecone

Can't stop laughing - probably be laughing all day...

I love/hate that commercial
    :thumbup:

My grandparents were very politically active and we still get phone calls for them. (We have their old phone #). I tell the caller they are working from a very old list as they died in 1996!!! Can hardly wait for the next election....NOT. I also got a bill from the local hospital 5 years after DGF passed. I told the billing dept. I like your humor, I hope is address is now "Heaven". She laughed and that was the end. Such is life.

piney

Smack dab between Dallas and Tyler, Texas
    Simply sad, to much bureaucracy over death and there isn't any excuse for fraud of a persons identity who has died.

I had similar problems with the cable company. They told me that I couldn't cancel my father's account and he would have to call them. The problem was he had died the month before. They kept insisting that he had a contract and it would have to be honoured even though I kept trying to tell them that he had died, the account was closed and the bank would not cash any of his post dated cheques.

WOW! Great "heads-up" when considering our own mortality. Sure don't want to burden our survivors with this kind of pain. At the moment, I am trying to put my affairs in order so that my kids actually have a "list" of what to do and when. I'm wondering what, if anything, works to stop this sort of badgering? Any lawyers out there with simple advice to share?

When my DH passed away I called Capital One to get his card closed and they told me I had to send in the death certificate and a letter stating he had died. So after hanging up I had a brilliant idea - I gave all of his information to my SIL and asked him to call and say he was Ralph and he wanted to close the account. It worked, but there was no balance on the card at the time. Never got another bill or anything from them.

Since he passed I have moved 3 times and I still get mail for him at my new address where he never lived. I feel like calling these people and saying while weeping "Do you know how upsetting this is?"

Quote Originally Posted by kwilter
    I'm wondering what, if anything, works to stop this sort of badgering? Any lawyers out there with simple advice to share?
    I am a lawyer, and in a nutshell: no.

Lawyers are having this argument with various credit card companies and utilities companies all the time when they are trying to deal with winding up an estate.

It is, unfortunately, "normal" to be dealing with this level of stupidity in this sort of situation.

When my husband passed away I had to send a death certificate etc so I could collect part of his pension. I had to call there and this one woman insisted she had to talk to my husband before any changes could be made. I told her he died and wanted to know where they were on the claim. She still insisted she had to talk to him so I asked for a supervisor who could not believe this woman insisted on talking to him. I told her a couple of times do you know what dead means? Just makes a person wonder?

Are these people taught stupiity or is it a natural talent?

Quote Originally Posted by galvestonangel
    Are these people taught stupiity or is it a natural talent?
    I think its an epidemic!!! When my stepfather died, my mother tried to cancel his cell phone. They needed to talk to him because that would be changing his plan and he had a contract..blah blah blah. Well, she brought him in to their storefront and plopped him down on the counter --- his ashes. The clerk who she was dealing with earlier was stunned. Finally said "I think I'll have you talk to my supervisor". They did cancel the service without any penalties after that. But, she says they're now sending him "we want you back" junk mail!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast