Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Coffee creamer alternatives and a tea question. Can we talk?

Coffee creamer alternatives and a tea question. Can we talk?

So I'm really looking at my fav creamer, Coffeemate French Vanilla fat free, and after googling it I feel so disgusted that I've been drinking this fake and so bad for you substance for years. So moving forward I'd like to drink my coffee healthier but need something in it, and would like to know what you use.

And, what about tea? Have you gone from coffee to tea and why?

This is really getting me down...
    Nancy

Just keep going!

I drink green tea -- find it very calming. Course I have a chocolate chip cookie with it.

I mostly drink tea now, and green tea, at that. I used to add sugar but have weaned myself off of that with tea. I rarely drink coffee so when I do I like to splurge on a rich blend or import like Jamaican Blue Mountain. I use a very small amount of Stevia for sweetener. Stevia is a natural plant that grows in South America and I usually am able to find it at the health food store. Cutting sugar from my beverages has been great.
    "Only those who know enough is enough can ever have enough." Lao Tzu

Now I'm wondering if I even like coffee since I'm adding to it. Shouldn't I be able to drink it black-after all, that's the coffee!

A coworker has given me a Lipton green tea bag and I'll try it this afternoon. She says she hadn't had coffee for two weeks and feels and sleeps better. She uses stevia to sweeten. hm...
    Nancy

Just keep going!

Blog Entries
    oh I use the powdered creamer myself. my husband loves canned milk but we don't use it up fast enough, so I got the powered kind. I used to drink hot tea in the mornings but went to coffee because hubby wanted a coffee pot that made many cups, in case his family came visiting. only drink one cup each morning. one day i'll go back to tea.

There is a natural Coffeemate Creamer. I've purchased it several times, and it's not as sweet, but it's still satisfying...

http://naturalbliss.coffee-mate.com/
    People who start projects and never finish them are cooler
    than people who never start projects at all.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog.html

Power Poster
    I use vanilla soy milk in my orange pekoe tea and am trying to cut back to 1 tsp. of sugar in it. The sugar substitutes does not agree with me. I tried green tea and didn't care for it.

I use 2% milk and stevia for sweetner in my coffee. I'd rather use sugar, but I use way too much. The only tea I can stomach is Thai iced tea, with or without boba.
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.

Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but chuckle when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Power Poster
    You could try water with nothhing added to it for a bevarage.

I have heard that it is good for one and has zero calories.

I drink tea -- usually Liptons or Red Rose, but two bags, as I like to brew it strong. I use a tsp of sweetener, and always use half and half, so basically I drink my tea strong, light and sweet. I take half and half to the office as I can't stand the powdered coffee mate type additives. A good portion of the ladies in my office use half and half, too, now --- if you're going to drink a cup of coffee or tea, why not really enjoy it?

How about some real cream?
    It doesn't take much ... and being the real thing, it is much healthier for you than some of the other options.

For my tea ... I like it black and the stronger the better, so no help there for the add-ins.
    There's always lots of herbal and other sorts of teas which can give you oh so much flavour, and not be a regular plain black tea. Again, I don't add to those either.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

I use plain old half and half and a bit of truvia. When we were kids we drank coffee (just like mom and dad!) except it was half coffee and half milk. It is how I like it to this day.
    Have a great day sewing and remember to "not sweat the small stuff"!!

I put creamo in my coffee. I know its high in fat, but I only use a little and at least I know what's in it. The ingredients are milk and cream. That's it, no chemicals. I only drink one or two cups of coffee in the morning the rest of the day I drink regular black tea with a bit of skim milk or peppermint tea.

I quit drinking regular coffee about 10 years ago and switched to decaf. But I actually like tea better and drink a lot of tea. My favorite brand is Bigelow's because they have flavors that I like such as Constant Comment.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I grew up drinking tea. Hot, cold, room temp. I drink tea all day every day and have never learned to like coffee. Coffee smells so good that I try it every so often, but it still tastes bad.

I changed from coffee to tea - green and orange pekoe or black - with lemon and/or honey. I only drink coffee when I go to IHOP or other coffee shop. I found tea to be more refreshing and calming. At home I add lemon juice to my water for variety. I'm feeling better and have fewer headaches ... not sure it's related but something I've noticed.

Blog Entries
    how about almond milk you can make it yourself with a cup of almonds and water and a blender
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Blog Entries
    My dh used to drink a lot of coffee when he was in the Navy. Started having stomach issues and the doctor told him the acidity of the coffee was ruining his digestive system. He switched to tea.

I used to drink coffee with milk and sugar in it, then started having digestive problems. A cousin mentioned having the same problem and said his doctor advised him to switch to black coffee. I did that and *poof!* the digestive problems I had disappeared.

I tried green tea for awhile, but it discolored my teeth. Not sure if it was the brand or what.....

To my mind, there is really no need to add anything to tea or coffee (well, maybe a slice of lemon with black tea). It's a matter of getting accustomed to the taste. I get so much sugar from other sources, such as ice cream, I don't want it in my coffee too.

Blog Entries
    Okay........I am not as smart maybe as some of you.......My favorite morning (and sometimes during day) drink is my coffee with International Delight Creamer(Sweet Cream flavor). No need for sweetener. I still love iced tea with meals just as my family served all my life. Love Constant Comment tea and green tea with lemon. Of course, our favorite cold cola is diet Dr. Pepper....Hubby is diabetic.

What about sprinkling in powdered skim milk? Just dry. I use a teaspoon or less of plain powdered whitener once a day. When I get coffee out, I use milk. This is of course for people without lactose intolerance issues or food sensitivities. Mr. Stitchnripper can't have dairy, not because of the lactose but because it gives him migraines. So, he drinks one of the other "milks", like almond or rice. Can't have soy either, same thing.
    Alyce

Blog Entries
    I love my coffee and I will not use anything but a bit of half & half and sugar in it. I will on occasion add a few drops of vanilla or a shake of cinnamon in it. Tastes better than those artificially flavored coffees. I figure that some real dairy product is better than all the chemicals in the other stuff.

Hope you find a way to enjoy your brew!
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

I have never liked the taste of coffee but love the smell of it brewing. I think because that is what I smelled when I was little and I'd wake up in the morning. I'd smell the coffee and hear my mom and dad talking and I knew all things were right in the world. Anyway, I'm a tea drinker. I recently went into a store called Teavana and it's owned by Starbucks...I will only drink tea I purchase from them from now on...call me a tea snob if you must! It's fantastic tea. Now if I could just switch from Splenda to something better for me...sigh.
    I am too blessed to be stressed and too anointed to be disappointed!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I don't use anything low fat in my coffee. I use Bailey's Hazelnut creamer and the one that has Southern something. I drink my tea with a little honey barely a teaspoonful. (raw). I like a coffee that tastes like coffee and I will drink it stronger than my DH. We drink Folger's French Roast but I would go for stronger. If I have a brunch with my friend we add a little BAileys Irish Crème to our coffee. Not as much as you might think but it does give a lot of flavor with a little kick. It's barely a tbsp. Enough to just coat the bottom of the cup.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryMo View Post
    I changed from coffee to tea - green and orange pekoe or black - with lemon and/or honey. I only drink coffee when I go to IHOP or other coffee shop. I found tea to be more refreshing and calming. At home I add lemon juice to my water for variety. I'm feeling better and have fewer headaches ... not sure it's related but something I've noticed.
    The coworker who gave me the tea said the same thing - she stopped coffee two weeks ago and sleeps better, feels better, and doesn't get that "crash" from coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
    What about sprinkling in powdered skim milk? Just dry. I use a teaspoon or less of plain powdered whitener once a day. When I get coffee out, I use milk. This is of course for people without lactose intolerance issues or food sensitivities. Mr. Stitchnripper can't have dairy, not because of the lactose but because it gives him migraines. So, he drinks one of the other "milks", like almond or rice. Can't have soy either, same thing.
    I did try soy a year ago, for about two weeks, then all of a sudden I got really, really sick, so I stopped and felt better after a few days. Not sure if it was a shock to my system or what but I'm pretty apprehensive about trying the others now.

Quote Originally Posted by Diannia View Post
    I have never liked the taste of coffee but love the smell of it brewing. I think because that is what I smelled when I was little and I'd wake up in the morning. I'd smell the coffee and hear my mom and dad talking and I knew all things were right in the world. Anyway, I'm a tea drinker. I recently went into a store called Teavana and it's owned by Starbucks...I will only drink tea I purchase from them from now on...call me a tea snob if you must! It's fantastic tea. Now if I could just switch from Splenda to something better for me...sigh.
    Teavana is such an interesting place! I love the teapots but they are ridiculously expensive, at least for me. But I go in there myself.

So...I tried the green tea, all by itself, and I loved it! I actually stopped at the store on the way home and bought some so tomorrow, I'll try my first tea day and see how that goes.
    Nancy

Just keep going!

Coffee purist - sort of - here. I drink my coffee black. I half-caff because after about my 3rd or 4th cup in the AM I was mowing down co-workers in the hall.

For many, many years I used sugar as well as the dried creamer in my coffee. A friend, decades ago, mentioned that he had started using the dried creamers as he just wasn't using enough milk/cream before it went bad. He went to the dentist and had many more cavities than his norm. Looked at the labels on the creamer as that was the most significant change in his eating/drinking habits and found it loaded with sugar.

Very shortly after that exchange, I started weaning myself from both the sugar and creamer I was adding to my coffee. Mainly as I wanted to lose a few pounds at the time. Started off by lessening the sugar by 1/2 tsp. Did that for a wk or 2 until I was used to it. Followed suit with the next 1/2 tsp. Finally got to where I was using a 1/2 tsp of sugar and after a few days realized that was more trouble than it was worth. Same with the dried creamer. Bit by bit used less and less until, again, more trouble than it was worth.

I've been drinking my coffee black for a good 30 years now. Switched to the half-caff about 15 years ago. I can't even add liquor to coffee for an after-dinner drink as it sweetens the coffee too much for me. I only drink iced tea - just don't like hot tea. But that is unsweetened with lemon only when it's offered out somewhere. I prefer both coffee and tea quite strong. Absolutely LOVE my double decaf espresso!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast