Daughter Moved Out

Old 10-02-2010, 02:13 AM

My daughter and grandson have lived here since his birth(she was finishing her teaching degree when she got pregnant).My husband and I told her she should stay here until she could afford to buy a house as renting is such a waste of hard earned money.Well she now has a house and is moving into her own home soon! My grandson is now 3;so just imagine how hard this is going to be!No more pitter patter of little feet in the morning or sharing toast and melon.Thankfully she DID buy a house only 20 miles away from us because she didn't want to take him too far.Anyway I know what you are feeling.
Old 10-02-2010, 02:37 AM

Sure they can & will learn to cook ,as they'll learn other things.I was married very young & only thing I'd ever cooked/baked was Dad's fav cake :-)

When DD married to what we thought was worst choice (he was)....it took us a long time to get thru it.Looking back,I should have known she'd get it straight eventually.

Agree with you....all we can do is smile & pray things work out.My parents made a great impression ,when they never said the 1st bad word about our marriage.Even tho we've been married over 50 yrs,they had no way of knowing if it'd work.Good luck. Cry when you have to & smile when you see them. JMO

Originally Posted by MISHNJIM
Thank you everyone for your kind words....I'm sitting here crying just reading all of your responses. I should be happy that she didn't move to far away and right now they will be coming home every weekend to do their laundry until they can afford to get a washer/dryer. Now, I should also set up a night that they can come over for dinner too. She makes mac n chz and he can make grilled chz sandwiches....LOL Can't live on that alone.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:57 AM

I know you are very worried. None of us can see ahead clearly. We can hope and pray for them that they will get along with each other. They will start from scratch and build a life together. That is good. Coming home for a meal once a week will give them a chance to ask for a recipe, or method.I knew I would miss my oldest daughter so much because I was so supportive of her activities. Her last year in HS I began classes at the Community College. My 2 yr. degree took 4 years but I directed my attention to something that absorbed me. It helped her to know that I was studying into the night too. But I never get over missing her now and she is 39. These young working people with children are so busy they hardly seem have time for a phone call.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:20 AM

I'm the mother of 3 sons so maybe their getting married and leaving the nest wasn't too much for me as they had finished college, had good jobs and their wives seemed well suited for them. Oldest 2 sons lived in different towns but both within 1 hour of us so when the grandkids came that was good. Youngest lived about 6 hours away and we felt sad that we didn't see him, his wife and kids as often as we would have liked but these 2 kids are the closest to us somehow. Keep your chin up and get that sewing room set up and invite your DD and her DH for weekly dinners and enjoy this new period in your life. May in Jersey
Old 10-02-2010, 05:50 AM

It's amazing how busy young couples are.With children they have sports,tutors & who knows what all. They seem to run all day long,well into eve.

I'm thinking they will be lost when their kids fly the coop.Just as we were.It's a good time to start another part of your life.Kudos to you for going back to school.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:38 AM

Be there to listen. Be there with love and hugs. Sure sounds like a home-cooked meal would be greatly appreciated now and then. Get busy doing what you have wanted to do for yourself. It will take a little while, but with time you will find the empty nest "ain't so bad".
Old 10-02-2010, 09:45 AM

yes it is hard when they leave but like you say they will be back. new experiences all the way around. after you've had a good cry you can get ready for a new idea of what to do with the room. it will get better. :thumbup:
Old 10-02-2010, 09:47 AM
Power Poster

I can relate to what all of you have written.

Hope things work out well for your daughter.

I did enjoy my empty nest - for about the two weeks that I had it!
Old 10-02-2010, 09:55 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Reading all your post I began to cry even though my only daughter is just 5 !!! I dread the day she leaves. I know its along time away but the thought still saddens me..

I hope you find a way to lift the sadness.. I agree, make a quilt, pour your heart in it..
Old 10-02-2010, 09:58 AM

Oh wow! When we took our daughter to live at college, I thought I would be SO cool....until it came time to go. She put her arms around me, and held onto me like she had when she was a little girl. She got tears, and she was so scared she was shaking. That did it! I cried the whole way home!

I thought my husband was the cool, collected one until a week later. He missed her so much that he seriously wanted to go pick her up and bring her home. I had to talk him out of it!