Daughter Moved Out

Old 10-02-2010, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
Reading all your post I began to cry even though my only daughter is just 5 !!! I dread the day she leaves. I know its along time away but the thought still saddens me..
i know it broke my heart when my daughter went to live with her father her last year of h.s. but i had to let her go. it took a lot of time to get over it but she is happy and doing great so......you gotta let them go. they do come back. :)
Old 10-02-2010, 10:18 AM
Power Poster

if you already don't have one, make it into a sewing room. Make her a new quilt for her new chapter of herlife. start on those baby quilts, coz hopefully, grandbabies will be in her future, good luck
Old 10-02-2010, 10:24 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lynnie
if you already don't have one, make it into a sewing room. Make her a new quilt for her new chapter of herlife. start on those baby quilts, coz hopefully, grandbabies will be in her future, good luck
I hope grandbabies only come when she (daughter) is ready for them.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:44 AM

Mom, you need to stay busy. Make her a recipe book of all of her favorite meals. You could also add your own personal notes too about her childhood or the first time you gave her a pickle.!! lol lol lol
She will cherish it forever!!!
Old 10-02-2010, 11:53 AM

I had a wall bed with shelves and drawers on each side installed in my guest room. Only takes up 18" when not in use. The rest of the room is my sewing room and I can use the drawers to store projects when we don't have guests.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by MISHNJIM
Thank you everyone for your kind words....I'm sitting here crying just reading all of your responses. I should be happy that she didn't move to far away and right now they will be coming home every weekend to do their laundry until they can afford to get a washer/dryer. Now, I should also set up a night that they can come over for dinner too. She makes mac n chz and he can make grilled chz sandwiches....LOL Can't live on that alone.
You will adjust just fine. I had 4 children, 3 of them married with kids of their own. The youngest is a bachelor with a home of his own. Just don't make yourself too available for them. They have to learn to live on their own and be self-sufficient. I remember when my oldest son decided to move into an apartment with his girlfriend (now his wife) the first question I asked him was how close a laundromat was to the apartment. You know, he never brought his laundry home. We hate to have them grow up, but when they do we have to get accross to them that the decision they made is theirs and that we will support them in those decisions, but not do it all for them. Good luck, and hang in there.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:10 PM

I hope her the best. I am thinking New quilting room!! Yea Yea!
Old 10-02-2010, 03:16 PM

I am now sitting in my younger daughters bedroom which I converted into "my" room!
I love the empty nest. Both girls are out of the house and on their own and independent (which I encouraged so much) and now its time for hubby and me to rebond. He retired and we are enjoying our "golden" years.
One girl is married and lives a few miles away and the oldest one moved 1,000 miles away....if they are happy, then I am happy!
It sounds that your daughter has her direction set in life so be proud of her. Our children are going to do things we don't approve of but, they have to make "their" mistakes as we did ours.
Post a pic of her bedroooom when you convert it.
Old 10-02-2010, 03:19 PM

you didn't lose a daughter. you gained a son. i got my only 4 sons that way.
Old 10-02-2010, 03:38 PM

I can sympathize with you. When my two oldest moved out, I was upset, but got over it. When the third one told me, she said I hope you are not going to cry momma. I said no, you will do what you want to in the end anyway, and I have shed my last tear over some kid leaving home. All five are doing well, and some had to come home once or twice, but just hope she will be happy and be ready to help her if she is not. Remember we are always the mother and they are always the child...no matter how old they are. Just love them unconditionally.