Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Dealing with disappointment re gifting >

Dealing with disappointment re gifting

Dealing with disappointment re gifting

Old 12-29-2010, 09:22 AM
Power Poster

What a great idea!
Old 12-29-2010, 09:22 AM
pal

I have learned the hard way that "Oh, that's beautiful!"
doesn't mean "I'd like to have that"

Sometimes we read people the wrong way, and then are hurt when we see what has become of our gifts.
And no matter how hard we try not to let it influence our behavior, it still really hurts and shows.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by JanieW
I hope this the right section for this topic.

I've been reading a lot of threads where some of us have been hurt or disappointed by the reaction of some recipients to our home made gifts.

That happened to me a few years ago and I was actually humiliated in front of other people by the reaction to my gift. It was a real wake up call to me that not everyone wants or likes quilted articles . It's not even about not appreciating the work or effort or expense. We like what we like.

I am addicted to quilting/fabric/sewing. I decided not to be bitter about ungrateful people, but to share my skills with those who can benefit. I satisfy my addiction by making quilts for the preemies at our hospital and quilts for the children at the women's shelter. I use my best fabric for these donated quilts. I only ever buy my supplies on sale and I buy with these quilts in mind. The recipients are not fussy, the hospital staff is so grateful whenever I show up.

Don't get me wrong, I also sew for my kids and my grandkids, but they have input into what they are getting so I know they want it and will like it.

So for those of you who have been hurt by less than enthusiastic responses, think about sewing your hearts out for babies or kids or seniors that need it. You'll feel good, trust me.
I keep seeing over and over on different threads the reference to home made gifts. I think this is, in part, at the heart of where the problem in not being appreciated lies. Some people see our quilts as home made. We (and others who appreciate our gifts) see them as 'hand' made.

I used to be an eductor for Pfaff and always tried to stress the little tricks used to change something that looked like 'loving hands at home' to a 'one-of-a-kind designer original'. But part of that is changing our attitude as well as others.

In our society of 'throw away' furniture, vehicles, clothing, electronics, etc, we have forgotten the value of something that is 'hand' made.

We can begin to change this by starting to educate others about the fine art of hand made items. But first, let's change the way WE see our 'home' made gifts. We are fiber artists!

(Although I will confess compared to some of the foks on this Board my quilting is more like matchbox houses with curley-que smoke coming from the chimney than art quilts, LOL.)

Stand proud!
Peggy
Old 12-29-2010, 09:36 AM
Cyn

Originally Posted by IBQLTN

I've been reading a lot of threads where some of us have been hurt or disappointed by the reaction of some recipients to our home made gifts.

That happened to me a few years ago and I was actually humiliated in front of other people by the reaction to my gift. It was a real wake up call to me that not everyone wants or likes quilted articles . It's not even about not appreciating the work or effort or expense. We like what we like.

I am addicted to quilting/fabric/sewing. I decided not to be bitter about ungrateful people, but to share my skills with those who can benefit. I satisfy my addiction by making quilts for the preemies at our hospital and quilts for the children at the women's shelter. I use my best fabric for these donated quilts. I only ever buy my supplies on sale and I buy with these quilts in mind. The recipients are not fussy, the hospital staff is so grateful whenever I show up.

Don't get me wrong, I also sew for my kids and my grandkids, but they have input into what they are getting so I know they want it and will like it.

So for those of you who have been hurt by less than enthusiastic responses, think about sewing your hearts out for babies or kids or seniors that need it. You'll feel good, trust me.
I keep seeing over and over on different threads the reference to home made gifts. I think this is, in part, at the heart of where the problem in not being appreciated lies. Some people see our quilts as home made. We (and others who appreciate our gifts) see them as 'hand' made.

I used to be an eductor for Pfaff and always tried to stress the little tricks used to change something that looked like 'loving hands at home' to a 'one-of-a-kind designer original'. But part of that is changing our attitude as well as others.

In our society of 'throw away' furniture, vehicles, clothing, electronics, etc, we have forgotten the value of something that is 'hand' made.

We can begin to change this by starting to educate others about the fine art of hand made items. But first, let's change the way WE see our 'home' made gifts. We are fiber artists!

(Although I will confess compared to some of the foks on this Board my quilting is more like matchbox houses with curley-que smoke coming from the chimney than art quilts, LOL.)

Stand proud!
Peggy
Peggy- Your comment is so right on! Thanks! Cindy
Old 12-29-2010, 10:12 AM

I have not read every posting on this subject, but I don't wonder that perhaps the problems are because we have lost the true emaning and spirit of Christmas. At 75 I can recall getting present I didn't want..but hopefully accepted with grace. It is after all a gift...and that is what Christmas is about . The gift of the Christ child and Savior. If I don't get a thank you or enthusastic thanks, well that's that. I hope I won't hold a grudge ....life is too short. I always told my kids that regrets are the hardest things to live with and not worth it. Go on from your disapointments...there are plenty out there who need and will appreciate your giving. Bread cast upon the waters does come back to you. Be on the outlook for the miracles that come into your life.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:24 AM

Absolutely agree with you...:)There are soooo many people/children who need and appreciate quilts...:)

Old 12-29-2010, 10:29 AM

I haven't actually finished a whole lot of quilts but was so excited to give my Mamaw a finished quilt that I made. Just actually finished it on Christmas Eve. She loved it and actually said she didn't want to use it! LOL She said she was going to put it up and keep it from getting messed up and I could have it back. She always thinks like that. I was so excited to get to give her a quilt because she has always made them for everyone else in the family. Now that she doesn't quilt/sew I thought how it would make me feel to give one to her. I think that because she knew how much time it goes into one she was appreciative!

Hugs to you all. :wink:
Old 12-29-2010, 10:55 AM

My heart goes out to those of you who have put your heart, effort, time and money into making a beautiful quilt for someone who treated it like a dirty rag. You know, everyone has their own likes and dislikes but there is no excuse for lack of manners. I have gotten things I didn't particularly like but still said thank you because it is the proper thing to do. After that do with it as you wish but don't be so mean to the person who was so very thoughtful of you.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:03 AM

I realized on Christmas this year that I'll be better off to completely avoid quilting for my nieces and nephews. 4 out of 5 never even said "thank you" for large gift cards this year . It would have been even more painful had I made them something.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:10 AM

A lot of parents are not teaching their children to say thank you. I taught my children that no matter what someone gave them it was proper to say thank you. If they didn't like it they could give it to someone who did, but never, nerver hurt a person who was so thoughtful. God Bless us all. May we always remember to be gracious to others who don't know what that means. A lot of people have to learn by watching. Let's all be teachers.