Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Did you grow where you were planted? >

Did you grow where you were planted?

Did you grow where you were planted?

Old 10-23-2011, 06:31 PM

Have always lived within 15
miles of where I was born.

J J
Old 10-23-2011, 06:34 PM

I grew up in East Texas, graduated, came to Houston for a job..Hurricane Carla hit in '61, drove out east of Houston to small community to look at the damage..thought this is like a little country town...I liked it...who was to know the following Jan. met my DH and he lived in this little country town, married in May, been here ever since, will be 50 years next May..however its not a small little country town any more...but we are still married...Only going back to East Texas for our final resting place...to another small country town..
Old 10-23-2011, 06:43 PM

I'm something of a nomad...born in San Diego, CA, moved to Colorado when I was 8...lived in several places in Colorado before meeting my second husband who was a diamond core driller...we moved 29 times in 1979, following the jobs. Moved to Montana in 1988, lived there until 2001 when we moved to Wyoming. Hated it there, so when this job in Oregon came available, we jumped at it. Don't much like it here either, I think it's way expensive, and the first chance I get, I'm outta here! Right now tho, in this economy, a job is a job...
Old 10-23-2011, 07:37 PM

I was born In Louisville, Ky. My grandparents all lived near Morgantown KY, in the country. I visit there once a year, only cousins left, but it is beautiful and peaceful. During WWII, my Dad was a gov. inspector and we lived in Jacksonville, Fla and Old Town Main. Came back to Louisille, moved to Middletown in 1951 just east of Louisville, then moved to Nashville, TN for 2 years, then Hollywood Fla, then Coral Gables Fla, then to Houston, Texas when I was 17. Later met my DH, lived in Houston for 4 years then moved to Pearland, country setting but close to the big city, touched Houston on the southside, lived there for 29 years, then moved to Galveston. We are in our 3 and last house here. I went to 13 schools in 12 years of school, being at one school for 4 years, and went to 4 schools in my senior year. I loved living differnt places, and that may be why I love to travel.

My husband is a native born Texan, he doesn't even like to go on vacation out of Texas. I would stay here anyway because my children and grandchildren are in the area, I would never leave them behind. I don't like the cold but it does get very hot here in the summer, thank God for AC.

I've learned that where ever you are is home. But in some ways I wish I had stayed planted because of family and friends. There is history there.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:38 PM

Well, sort of We have been married 23 years and moved 13 times. Our oldest moved with us 6 of those times. By the age of 6 or so he could look at a house and say- kitchen layout os all wrong. Nice ceiling clearance- too shadowed and so on. We lived in the midwest- east coast, west coast, overseas.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:48 PM

Born and raised in Oregon. Have always lived here except for 14 months I lived in Alexandria, Egypt.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:29 PM

Born, raised and will probably die in the same place. Must have really long roots in our family. We all stayed in town and their were five of us kids.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:04 AM

I grew up in a small town just over 100 miles East from where I now live, I wasn't born there but moved there when I was 3 mo. old. We (parents, brother and I) always came to Pecos on the 4th of July to the Rodeo each year. Never dreamed I would ever live here. DH was born and raised in a small town 100 miles South of us where DD now lives. DS lives over 500 miles away - too far, between San Antonio & Austin.
I lived in my home town until age 15, and moved with parents and brother to Ky., because of Dad's oil business. Lived in 2 small towns in Ky. for 2 years, graduated from High School in the town, where my ex SIL & oldest Niece now live. Moved with family in 1961 to W. Va. started to college there and lived in that small town for 7 years, moved back to Tx. with parents in 1968. Met DH in 1968 when we were both working for Pennzoil Sulphur Co. near a small town that is 54 miles from us. DH was transfered to Pecos in 1969, I was transfered here in 1970. We married Aug. of 1970, both children born and raised here, we are still here in Pecos 41 years later. So we are both about 100 miles away from where we grew up. Both of us are native Texans. I'm retired form 25 years of teaching Elem. school, and DH is still working,but now as Asst. county Auditor, after a semi retirement when Pennzoil closed property here. You may not always be where you want to be, but I don't know where I had rather be, work has kept us here, our home has long ago been paid for, and we know so many here - small town. I wouldn't trade being back home in Texas for anything. I never plan to leave again at least not while still living.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:20 AM

I have moved from Melbourne to the UK, Europe, Africa - the big trip - then to Adelaide, Sydney, Wollongong, Adelaide, rural New South Wales, then back to 10 miles from where I started :P.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmau
Born in California-5th generation-spent time in all the western states as my grandfather had itchy feet. Joined the Navy-got married-had kids-moved from MD to Fl back to CA then back to MD over to PA then to CO. Divorced - was talked into marrying again (different man-better man) four years later-moved to Hong Kong then Australia-14 years later- now in CT. Told DH if we move again I will shoot him!!
Love Southern New England.
I sure hope you don't have to move again, I would hate to read about one of our own on the board being on trial. lol