Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Did you hear any screaming and crying from the NW >

Did you hear any screaming and crying from the NW

Did you hear any screaming and crying from the NW

Old 09-30-2010, 09:22 AM
Power Poster

My mom was like that. my son is now 20, and i never nagged him to pick up stuff, ifelt it was his room and his mess. we recently bought a condo 2 bedroom and now i have room for everything. My son is very neat, personally, haircuts ever 2-3 weekds, 2 showers a day, like myself, and i figure, one day they'll outgrown it. I never was one for cleanig, always played outside with him and his friends, making bike ramps and such, I figure, why raise my blood pressure. if you can close a door, let them live that way.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:26 AM
Power Poster

regardign the bathroom, we had a small bath 5x5 with a shower stall, i got muy son a spicerack, in the top went his personals, toothbrush, toothpaste (with flip top, so i wouldn't nag him to put the top back on,) deodorant, towel hand grom where the papertwels would go. I also made hand towels that would hang from a shower hook on the towel rack, this way it wouln't fall off and drag on the floor.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:57 AM
Power Poster

My mom tried to train me.

She set a good example.

My husband usually tolerates the mess and clutter.

Life is easier when the surroundings are orderly and the laundry is done and put away.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:28 AM

A little off the subject, but I heard of a family who had several teenagers. Instead of waiting up for them to come in on weekends, each child had an alarm clock. The clock was set to go off at curfew time. It was the teen's responsibility to get home and turn their clock off on time before it woke mom & dad. Wish I would've heard about that before I had sleepless nights waiting up on my teens!
Old 09-30-2010, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Slow2Sew
A little off the subject, but I heard of a family who had several teenagers. Instead of waiting up for them to come in on weekends, each child had an alarm clock. The clock was set to go off at curfew time. It was the teen's responsibility to get home and turn their clock off on time before it woke mom & dad. Wish I would've heard about that before I had sleepless nights waiting up on my teens!
OH! That's a good idea!
Old 09-30-2010, 01:32 PM

Been there done that !!!!! Did't work for me they just hid them under the bed !!!!!
Old 09-30-2010, 03:00 PM

Good for you! About 35 yrs ago I put the barn wheelbarrow outside my younger daughter's door and heaved everything not put away into it. Even tho it meant going up stairs. Then I wheeled it down to the barn and dumped it in a stall! (clean)

End of problem! But even as an adult when she and her girls leave my house, I swear it *sighs*!
Old 09-30-2010, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by moonwolf23
Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
I remember that my mother would tell me, Maid and Mother both may start with M, but I am your MOTHER not your MAID.

Then she proceeded to empty my entire room of stuff that wasn't in its place and she burned it. Then I had to pay for all new. Trust me, I cleaned after that. There were only 3 or 4 shirts/pants and a journal or two, but I learned my lesson
See had my mother done, that I don't think I would talk to her again. My room is my room and my domain. Outside the room I can see, but be aware if your kids are as private as I am, you will get the consequences as well.

i told all 5 kids... it is my house.. you are just subletting that room. that makes me the landlord and you will do what i want you to

that being said, i can stand a certain amount of clutter, but when it reaches critical mass.. i want it showroom clean... at least to start out ..
Old 09-30-2010, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
Originally Posted by moonwolf23

See had my mother done, that I don't think I would talk to her again. My room is my room and my domain. Outside the room I can see, but be aware if your kids are as private as I am, you will get the consequences as well.
I think you misunderstand; occupying a room within the family home does not mean you own it. When you are writing the monthly mortgage check, paying the roofers, the yard guys, the service and repair people, the painters, keeping up with the maintenance ad infinitum, paying the utility and grocery bills, buying the furniture and linens for "your" room, THEN you can talk about it being "YOUR" room!

Private space to do as they wish is not part of the required parental obligation to ones offspring. You have a "room of your own" by the good grace of your loving parents, not by "rights".

Have another fat quarter, Love, this is not meant to bash you or anyone else, just gives a differing perspective.

Jan in VA (who was also a "mean mother" but whose daughter -- at age 15! -- once told her "Thank you, Mom, for being the kind of mother you are." I was so touched I cried.)

AMEN TO THAT.. our youngest (17) asked me why she had to fold the towels out of the dryer this evening when i got home from work.. i asked her why i had to get up early, drive her to school, work all day, then come home & fold towels...

she got the point... of course she's seen & heard a lot from the older 4!
Old 09-30-2010, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by May in Jersey
You know I'm not a perfectionist but I know when enough is enough. My boys weren't too bad when they were living at home but oldest son's room looked like we were robbed, his car was dubbed "The Closet" and he was always misplacing his wallet, keys, etc. Middle son is like me, knows where his stuff is most of the time. Told them they needed to empty their pockets because any money found in the laundry was mine. After oldest lost a few 5's and 10's he got the message.

May in Jersey
i used to love to do our oldest son's laundry.. it was always good for at least $20.00

now that he's married w/2 kids, he never leaves cash ANYWHERE!