Do You Sleep With Men?

Old 02-25-2010, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Elisabrat
Pillow for the back? snoring is worse if they sleep on their back.. sides the air gets in better for some reason. I think the old delivery works pretty good a gentle tap with a sharp cold knee.. works wonders at getting someone to turn over. Chill your hand first then apply it to a belly should get that puppy on his side in no time at all.
Mine snores too, but I was thinking more along the line of a pillow over his face.....
:lol:
Old 02-25-2010, 09:32 AM

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

Please have him checked for sleep apnea. If they say he doesn't have it, find someone else and have him checked again. By the time my husband was finally diagnosed, after six years of the symptoms progressing, the test results came back that he was stopping breathing more than 70 times per hour. The longer it goes on, the greater the impact on his heart and brain, due to lack of oxygen. It got so bad that I wouldn't let him drive with the kids in the car because he couldn't stay awake at work, and would nod off while driving. I didn't want him driving himself even. Due to his lack of focus and the constant exhaustion and inability to stay awake, we had almost no relationship left by the time he got his CPAP maching, but within days, he was almost back to the man I fell in love with. Don't delay, get a second opinion.

In the meantime, get him a back wedge, which might help because gravity helps keep their throat open. There is also a throat spray that numbs the throat muscles and helps prevent them from collapsing, in milder cases. Good luck.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:53 AM
Banned

My husband and I sleep separately most nights -- he's on medication that makes him jerk around as he sleeps. I'm a really light sleeper (and have issues with insomnia), so to be suddenly jerked awake and then not able to fall asleep again is really the pits. But we always cuddle a bit before going to bed, and when we get up, and so it's all okay :)
Old 02-25-2010, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
Many people seem to have the sleep apnea problem. I know several in "real" life and many of you on the board have mentioned it. Do you think this is getting worse or did our grandparents just suffer because we didn't know about it?
I don't think aleep apnea was a known disorder (for adults, at least) until the 1960s, so our grandparents just suffered with it. but I don't think it was as prevalent back then, either.

One cause of sleep apnea is obesity, and obesity is getting worse, so probably more people are snoring for that reason.

High blood pressure is another cause.

I think nasal polyps can also cause snoring, though I don't know whether they are a cause of sleep apnea.

Check your "snore score" here: http://www.sleepapnea.org/resources/...norescore.html
Old 02-25-2010, 10:41 AM

There's no doubt that obesity is one of the causes....however, there is some question as to the high blood pressure. My husband's doctor feels that the high blood pressure was caused by the sleep apnea. And, in fact, when he got his CPAP machine his blood pressure dropped right away.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:44 AM

If I'm already sleeping when he comes to bed, it's usually not a problem, but I'm such a light sleeper that if he were to fall asleep before me, just his breathing wakes me up or keeps me up. He doesn't snore loud, just a little, but it does wake me... especially now that I'm having to get up to pee several times a night, I go back to bed and can't sleep :)
He doesn't grind his teeth, but he does click them, and it drives me crazy!
When he starts to snore a little, he's usually on his stomach or on his back and has his head craned all the way back. I try kicking and poking, and if that doesn't work I wake him up and tell him to turn over. Luckily, he's not grouchy about it, I think he feels bad about keeping me up... it's not like he remembers me waking him up to tell him to turn over anyway. Most of the time he'll just argue that he wasn't snoring, he wasn't even sleeping (yeah, right!) but he still turns over to his side.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by mosquitosewgirl
There's no doubt that obesity is one of the causes....however, there is some question as to the high blood pressure. My husband's doctor feels that the high blood pressure was caused by the sleep apnea. And, in fact, when he got his CPAP machine his blood pressure dropped right away.
Oh, good point! How nice that treating the apnea has resolved his blood pressure problem. No more pills, though I imagine a CPAP machine is more expensive and cumbersome.

But if someone does snore and have high blood pressure, that would be a reason to get checked for sleep apnea. Whichever one causes the other, you'd want to fix the condition.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Lisanne
Originally Posted by mosquitosewgirl
Oh, good point! How nice that treating the apnea has resolved his blood pressure problem. No more pills, though I imagine a CPAP machine is more expensive and cumbersome.

But if someone does snore and have high blood pressure, that would be a reason to get checked for sleep apnea. Whichever one causes the other, you'd want to fix the condition.
Absolutely. The CPAP is covered by almost all insurances and overtime it pays for itself by helping decrease or eliminate the cost for the meds. I have a love-hate relationship with the machine. It is cumbersome, and while I am grateful that personality-wise, mentally and physically I have my husband back, I sometimes I hate that it makes snuggling up all night difficult, at best. And, then I feel guilty for being so petty. What's a girl to do?
Old 02-25-2010, 12:59 PM

No man, but I have a cat with a nose whistle...
Old 02-25-2010, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by yorkiemom
No man, but I have a cat with a nose whistle...
lol, I spit out my drink reading that ;-)