Favorite Breed

Old 09-30-2011, 06:40 AM

I had 2 Silky Terriers and adored them. They lived to be 16 years old. Both were rescued and we got them from "Silky Rescue"...if I were going to have a dog again I would go back there. For now, the Peach (cat) is enough.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:50 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

My favorite breed is a rescue !! but I love poodles & dauschunds ! they have a personality of their own ! Had both types of dogs (Poodles & dauschunds),my baby poodle thought he was a dauschund as the dauschund was 2 years old when we got the 8 week old poodle ! LOL had the traits of the dauschund rather than the poodle..
Old 09-30-2011, 07:00 AM

Rottweilers ,I have 3
Old 09-30-2011, 07:16 AM

I have to agree that a Mutt is the best breed. I had one Cocker Spaniel that came with a lot of medical expenses. The mutts are usually healthly. Their are a lot of dog that need rescuing - that's where I get mine from. My current dog is named "Chance" - we gave him a second chance at life and we took a chance taking him, a pun on his name.
His size is intimidating, but he is just a big teddy bear.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:43 AM

Right now I have a greyhound. I've had several over the years. They are loving and very laid back. I've also had Siberian Huskies, ShiTzu's and German Shepherds. They all had their good/bad qualities. I'm partial to rescues so we'll probably get another greyhound. Can't stand the thought of them being put down just because they can't run anymore. They have to retire them from the track at 5 years old.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:43 AM

I think I am kind of a "love the breed you're with" kind o' girl. I have had a Boston Terrier, a Newfoundland, a lab, a shepherd, and a shepherd/husky mix, bassett hounds, and aside from the Newfoundland, they were all great dogs. The Newf had some breeding issues and as a result had some agression issues. He had to be put down after trying to remove my mother's and my faces. But, that being said, I would not hesitate to get another Newf from a reputable breeder.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:16 AM

I simply love dogs -- have had one on and off as long as I can remember. The first I remember was a springer that appeared in my lap at breakfast om my first day of kindergarden. He was followed closely by a stray -- a cocker who wandered into our yard pregnant and stayed. Then Dad was sent from Texas to Alaska and we gave our dogs to a loving home and wound up with a malamute pup and then a full grown malamute. The pup was hit by a car and while we loved the adult, he stayed in Alaska when we left -- I think he was my favorite since he went everywhere with me.

Since then I have had a real variety of dogs -- both papered and not and they were all loves. We just put our girl down (that's her in my avatar) -- she was was a handful and all love. It gets harder to say goodbye as we get older. We may look for a new one soon -- we had talked about getting an adult shelter dog, but a friend just got a chocolate lab pup that was hard to give back to her when we left.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:17 AM

I like most animals, 1st dog poodle loved me hated my husband, Second mutt mix Great dog, third cocker poo, great dog so lovable, 4th Westie Great dog, 5th Westie, and my last dog is Peke who is so sweet. This is over 40 years I've had these dogs and each one had their own personallity and I loved them all. See I also worked in a pet shop selling dogs and I explain evrything before selling a dog. I even let them read on the breed they we're thinking of buying,. They were all like my own dogs and it was a wonderful job for a true animal lover.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:20 AM

I have has many different breeds - german shepherd, poodle, beagle, chihuahua, mutt and border collie. I was at the shelter looking for another border collie (mine was so smart) and saw a shih tzu....and fell in love. I had to wait to 2 days before adopting her since she was new and there is a waiting peroid for families to find their lost pets. Her family claimed her and I was heart broken, but found Penny - my avatar. I would adopt another in a minute. You receive so much love from them and they are not yippy at all. She is my baby :)
Old 09-30-2011, 08:37 AM

I've heard a couple of you mention your heart dog, and if by that you mean the dog that stole a big part of your heart, that would be my Valentine.
She was my black and red mini doxi. I got her when she was just over two weeks old because she was the runt and her momma pushed her away. I fed her and raised her. She would cuddle with me, sleep in the bed with us. If we went somewhere we would put her in a back pack (before those fancy dog carriers) and take her. She would just ride around not making a peep, peeking out occasionally.She had a rough time health wise, she was attacked by a basset hound, lost the use of one eye, had a bout of breast cancer, suffered epileptic seziurs, plus other health issues. When she died at 10 years old part of my heart went with her, even now I think of her and get emotional. up. I miss her so much. She was my little sweetie. As much as I love my dogs, she is the only one I have been that attached to emotionally. I think that is because I had been through so much with her.
That is also where I got my name, Valsma.