Favorite Breed

Old 10-07-2011, 09:29 PM

Having worked in an animal shelter for almost five years, I have seen more than a few breeds come through.
I have a soft spot for German Shepherds. When I was younger, I trained one as a guard dog and he was my boy. He and I would take off in the car pulling the trailer and go up in the mtns. camping, hiking, and fishing. I never ever had a problem with anyone.

Currently though, I am very fond of Collies. My avatar is my 10 yo plus totally blind Laddie. He is the best dog, loves to run and play, chase the ball, steals my slippers and 'dig's' a hole in the carpet and bury them for a later date. If we leave them where he 'buried' them, he comes right back days later and picks it up and starts all over again. He knows my moods and reads them well. He knows when I am having a bad day and always sticks his nose under my arm for a scratch. He was a shelter dog and I love him dearly. We have a friend who still does not believe Laddie is blind because of how well he gets around. Of course, if you move furniture or park the car where it shouldn't be. he bumps his beautiful nose. If he starts running towards an object, we simply say, "easy" and he turns or stops. I even taught him to roll over about two years ago for his treats. He sleeps on the floor at the foot of my bed every night and when I get up to pee, I have to step over him or fall. If I am sick in bed, he sleeps on the floor next to me and puts his nose up every once in awhile to check on me. He has been known to try and herd the chickens and even the goat. He will attack anything that he believes will hurt his momma. One day while checking the goats hooves, Pete (the goat) got goofy and wanted to play. I finally had to 'pop' Pete on the nose and say "no" and before I knew it, Laddie was barking like crazy running at us full force. He was going to take care of whoever was hurting me. Uh oh, I wrote a book again. Sorry.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:55 AM

I love them all and the bigger the better, as rescue I have housed many breeds most of them at the same time...lol the one I like the best is the lab no mater the color they are the best with kids and family.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:00 PM

Aren't they wonderful! They are my favorite breed and at present we have 5 -- yuppers 5. One was a pet store puppy that the owner just decided he didn't want any more. She is a little minx and probably has some Maltese or something. The other 4 are retired show dogs. They certainly don't look like show dogs at our house. But we like them natural and clipped fairly short. Crossed the Bridge were 5 more from years ago.

However, we do have 5 additional dogs at present -- a Golden, a Shih Tzu, a Maltese, a Mini Schnauzer, and a pound puppy from the local shelter.

We can't seem to turn down a dog in need of a home.

Originally Posted by Tudey
I didn't know I had a favorite breed till I owned a bichon frise. What a great breed they are! Unfortunately, we had to put ours down 7 weeks ago, but when we are ready for a new fur baby, I want another bichon!
Old 10-08-2011, 12:05 PM

YAY! Sibyl... We have 10 and people think we are nuts. Love those guys, every single one of them. There is always room for one more.

Originally Posted by Essiescott
Oh a subject dear to our hearts. We are a dog family. We currently have
Shadow, he is an 18 year old fawn chihuahua,
Spike, he is a 15 year old black and tan doxie,
Misty she is our 11 year old fawn chihuahua
Copper he is a sweetie he is a 10 year old red doxie
Pancho is a mixed breed--was supposed to be a chihuahua but he isn't
Can't have a pancho with out a Cisco, he is a double dapple black and white doxie--both of them are around 10 years of age.
Then I have my Rainy girl she is a very sweet gray chihuahua she is 9 years old.
Holly is our long hair black and tan double dapple doxie--she is 8 years old
Then we have Dutch---he is a steel colored no haired chihuahua he is also about 8.
Liberty she is a cute fawn colored pug she is 4 1/2 years old,
Stormy is also a pug, but black, and she is almost 4.
Dottie she is our white and black dapple doxie, she is a rescue dog she is also deaf she is about 3 1/2.
Then comes Justice he is the pug father and head of the pug protection agency. He is a super sized pug and is probably around 6 years of age---he is also a rescue dog.
After that comes our sweet Patriot, he is a Boston Terrier mix, he is the best lap dog anyone could ask for. We almost lost him, and he has my daughter wrapped around his little paw.
After Patriot, comes Freedom, she is a full Boston Terrier and is my husbands sweetie. then we saw this cutie patootie of a cocker spaniel, and just had to get him from the pound. He is a black and white parti cocker, his name is Oreo.

There you go, our hearts and home are full of pups we would not have it any other way. Yep they are all inside dogs, they get along with each other, don't make too many messes. Even keep quiet when we have guest in the home. We won't have any grandchildren, so we have granddoggies, and granddoggers.

sibyl