Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: February weight loss 2016

I got the lab results today from my blood work. The bad cholesterol was lower and the good cholesterol was higher. The one I am most happy about is my triglycerides went from 288 down to 143. My doctor was very happy. The bad news is she said keep doing what you are doing. I was hoping to relax a bit on the diet. Oh well. I think I will anyway. I had a cupcake at my quilting group today. Yummy!
    Crab cakes sounds so good mj.
    I went to a quilt store that is clearing out all their fabric and only keeping yarn. All their fabric is $3.50 a yard. I think I bought 52 yards. Now that was fun!

Blog Entries
    Annaquilts your box is full.

Blog Entries
    Wow Pam what a good deal at the LQS. I am trying not to buy fabric but would have walked out of there with some too.I had a snow day off school yesterday.The kids were extra wound up today. I guess I don't understand how things work but I am working with a different student lately. He is nuts, can't even sit in a seat. He is in second grade he just wanders around the classroom and pretty much does what he wants. He upsets the whole room. They can't put him on an IEP because he is absent too much. Not sure why. My autistic kid is trying a different placement for now. Not sure how long mom will go for it. He screams just as much there as he did in the old classroom. There are so many troubled kids these days.
    I went to spinning tonight and rode 18 miles in 50 minutes. I feel so much better when I go. Tomorrow is deep water boot camp class.

Pam, congrats on the great results - your triglycerides are awesome! What an exciting purchase you made.

meanmom, my trick to not buying fabric like Pam found is simply to stay out of the store!

I think I am back on track. I started out keeping track of calories in vs calories out, but I got thrown off by my colonoscopy last month. Only took me two weeks to get back on the wagon, but I did get on.
    Lynne
    Austin, Tx

Hey everyone. I'm wondering if any of you have any suggestions for exercise? I need to find something I like and will stick with. Thanks so much!
    Quilting is definitely not for the faint of heart.

Wow great job on the cholesterol #'s Pam. Nice fabric score too!

I walked on the treadmill yesterday & shoveled a bunch of snow, so that was good exercise. Looks like more of the same today, minus some of the shoveling. My husband did the driveway with the snow blower last night & my favorite brother in law must have been over earlier this morning with his snow plow because we're all cleared out. I'll still go out & do the front walk. It's still coming down though. I went to the fabric store earlier in the week to get some background fabric for 2 different quilts, but didn't see anything I really liked. So here I am with a snowy day & nothing to work on. I'm sure I can find something to do up there.

Jcarpentier, the only exercise I do with any consistency is walking. This time of year on the treadmill watching tv!

Thanks for all the great comments everyone. I've let myself have a few splurge days. After waking up with a migraine the last two mornings I know it is time to get back to my healthy eating.
    In the summertime I walk for my exercise. In the winter I do work out videos. I have a walking workout, Zumba, and one with salsa dancing. I just do whichever one I am in the mood for that day. I also have one for Pilates and one for yoga. I need to get those into my mix.
    Last edited by Pam H; 02-11-2016 at 08:53 AM.

Blog Entries
    I find i do better exercising hen I take classes. I workout harder and longer than I would on my own. Currently I am doing 3 days of spinning and 2 days of water bootcamp. There are a couple of other classes that sound interesting but they don't fit into the time frame that I want. I will eventually switch to something else. I have an elliptical machine here at the house, but I get bored using it. I do use it occasionally. I do have a tv to watch while I use it.
    I am off Friday and Monday this week:-) The only thing wrong with being off is I have access to too much food when I am home. My DH is suggesting pizza for tomorrow. Not a good idea.

Hey everyone. I thought it ironic I went to see my doctor yesterday and he did not weigh me. He usually weighs me every visit. I didn't want to sound like a weirdo and ask to be weighed so I didn't. I think he would have been pleased with the results. I have gained a pound but will work on losing for the rest of the month. You are all an inspiration!

I finally made it to 24 Hour Fitness. My son has been trying to get me to go with him for the longest time. He was so happy and tried to show me how to use the equipment. I also used the stair step machine and checked out the dry sauna. I got a 5 day free pass to try it out. This particular place is a bit far from us so I might check some other places closer by. I did not get a super work out or anything but I don't think my body could have handled that anyways. We plan to go a couple more times this week just for me to try it out in the trial period. I am not planning to take classes at this time.
    Anna Quilts

Hello 'losers',

Hard to see the month is half gone. Sounds like some of you are staying consistent. That always pays off for me.

I'm at my son's in Austin. My heart goes out to other families trying to get some order and normalcy back into their lives. Mostly, I hurt for my son and his battles. This is one thing I can't fix, and treatment is too slow.

Best wishes. Sounds like there weren't any Valentines disasters.
    Lynne
    Austin, Tx

Quote Originally Posted by Leann View Post
    Sounds like there weren't any Valentines disasters.
    Besides the Coconut creme cheese Valentine's cake and my birthday this week?
    Anna Quilts

Quote Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
    Besides the Coconut creme cheese Valentine's cake and my birthday this week?
    Oh, but that doesn't count as a 'disaster'.
    Lynne
    Austin, Tx

Quote Originally Posted by Leann View Post
    Oh, but that doesn't count as a 'disaster'.
    Thanks! I guess it didn't as my weight seemed OK and I went to the gym again tonight. I went on the stair step and thread mill along with some well deserved dry sauna time. I am a happy girl. Now since this is all new to me, how do you all manage showering over there or do you shower at home? do you take everything or just the minimum? I felt there was inadequate space to keep my stuff dry when I showered. My son says he locks everything in his locker and walks like Adam to the shower and back. I am a bit bashful.
    Anna Quilts

Blog Entries
    i usually just shower at home. On Saturday I do shower at the gym so I can go shopping. I usually use the handicap shower since it is almost always open. I have never seen anyone who appeared to need the handicap shower use it. I undress in there and only take my shirt etc and undies and dress that for in there. I walk out in my undies to put my pants on so they don't get wet. The shirt etc I hang on the hook.
    I had my kids all over on Valentines Day for my DD birthday. My mom and uncle were supposed to come but we got 5 inches of snow on Sunday and when I went to pick them up the traffic was awful so I came home. Dinner was't too bad for me, it was the dessert. I made chocolate mousse and butterscotch pie. I didn't eat too much dessert until Monday. Hopefully I cancelled it out with spinning class.
    Snow last Sunday and now it is supposed to be sunny and 60 degrees this Saturday. My sister and I might go for a bike ride at the bike path. Not sure if it will work into my schedule yet. My DH birthday is next week and we are supposed to go out to dinner. Also my Son in Law's dad is in really bad shape so it is hard to plan things as the grandkids might be here.

I just joined a gym today. The closest one is about 10 minutes away. The one that has the classes (yoga, pilates, spinning, zumba, etc) is about 15 miles away. I quit going to the YMCA 25 years ago because I thought it was silly to drive 5 miles into town to exercise. My walking buddy wanted me to join a gym with her so I did. I hope I use it enough to make it worthwhile. I signed up for 3 months to see how I like it. They have private showers but they are small so you would have to leave your clothes out in the locker room. When I went to the Y it was a group shower with 6 shower heads. I hated that!

Hi everyone. Nice job in joining a gym, Pam. I hope you find you like it. I'm about to make me some breakfast then I have to be at work at 8 am EST. I hope you all have a wonderful day!

It is hard for me to get to a gym since I don't get home from work till PM, so I have been meeting
    my husband at the mall and we walk around together. I usually make 8,000 steps during the week and over 10,000 on the weekend. I sit most of the day at work, so any exercise will help! I am doing pretty good saying no to snacks but sure miss the breads and pasta.

Blog Entries
    Pam good job joining the gym. Going with a friend is helpful, hopefully you will talk each other in to going. That can help keep you going. Many years ago my YMCA had those 6 head showers too, I never used them. The 3 YMCAs I use all have individual showers now. I hope I can keep up my exercise schedule. My eczema has flared up a little bit. I am hoping it isn't connected to the pool water, but it seems to have started about the time I started water aerobics. I skipped tonight, partly because of the eczema and because my left( not the one I just had replaced) knee is a little bit sore. Both problems should be better in a day or 2 and then I will go back and see how it goes. I guess I could find a different class.

Happy Friday to all. It's supposed to be about 50° warmer here this weekend than last. OK by me!

I've never belonged to a gym except a "Curves" type, circuit workout gym. I've always been a walker, but since moving to OH from southern CA 2 years ago that has tapered off too. I think I could benefit from one but I'm a little intimidated to join. There's only one here in town where absolutely everyone goes & I'm not sure that's for me.

Whats everyone one working on? I miscalculated the measurements for a quilt I made a year ago- figured for a drop on all 4 sides instead of 3. I'm using those blocks & some fabric from my stash to make a quilt for my brother. I'm going on a cruise next week & have been doing hemming & mending too.

Down an one pound this week. I'll take it!

Blog Entries
    Great being down a pound this week Maggiemay. Not sure where my weight is right now, I haven't weighed in about a week. I am annoyed that the scale isn't moving more with my increased activity and I have been eating pretty well. Hopefully it will move better soon. They are starting a biggest loser at work. It starts in early March. I'm not sure how long it goes on. I plan on joining. Several people are planning on living it up next week before it starts.
    My Kindergartener, Courtney had a DAY yesterday and today. The principal was walking around thru the special ed areas with his boss as part of his performance evaluation. His boss wanted to see Courtney- they just walked in and were watching what was going on. Courtney saw them and immediately started running her mouth. She said "is that his wife" I just kept saying no, get back to work, "is that his girlfriend," "are you sure that isn't his girlfriend", "do you think they are going to the Prom together" "does he have a wife" "does his wife know" OMG, the poor principal, they left cracking up. Today she was worse. She was sent home. She was threatening me. Not sure what they are going to do with her next year when she is there all day.

"Walks like Adam" - LOL! I'm with you Anna, I'm not on display. I'm not sure men have any inhibitions - they seem to love to flaunt what they've got. (or don't got!)

Our weather has been really warm and I've been able to ride the last 3 days. Hubby rode while I was in Austin 4 days early this week - has had 4 flats this week, one overnight after he had repaired it! This is a record even for him.

My eating has been mostly miss, but I have been eating a salad nearly every day. I'm trying to ADD better choices in the hopes that will squeeze out the unfavorable choices - unfavorable for fat loss. Another thing I'm working on is being diligent to track my calories - no matter how ugly it is.

meanmom, hate to hear about SIL's dad. Pray things turn around quickly.
    Lynne
    Austin, Tx

Blog Entries
    The weather here was gorgeous this weekend. It was 70 degrees yesterday. I went to spinning class in the morning and a short walk outside in the afternoon. Maybe a mile. It wasn't quite as warm today but still gorgeous. I went for a bike ride along the river. It was a little big windy but nice. This is really unusual weather for this time of year here. They are predicting snow on Wednesday.
    Eating was awful today. I made some chocolate caramel bars for my sister in law for her birthday. Of course I had to make sure they were ok, I taste tested way too many. It is my DH birthday on Tuesday so I had to make hime a lemon meringue pie, I had to make sure that was ok too. He also had to have biscuits and gravy for breakfast. Back on the wagon in the morning.
    I bought myself a new FitBit with my Christmas money. It isn't working correctly. I plan on emailing them. They are really good about customer service. I did 5 flights of stairs today, it only registered one. It also isn't counting my steps correctly. I walk pretty much the same every day at work. I walk a minimum of 7000 steps at work, usually a lot more. It isn't counting all of the steps:-(

Hey all. Busy busy here is all I can say. We are having some weather right now with light snow that is supposed to change over to sleet then freezing rain then rain. I wish Mother Nature would make up her mind and have it be Spring already! I'm not sure of my weight either but someone commented that it looks as if I have lost weight, so that's good.

Hello, all.....Going to for sure join you in March. I am currently at an all inclusive resort in Mexico writing this so after a week here I will need to seriously buckle down.
    I have been gaining anyway recently and this hasnīt helped! (Although it has been fun!)
    See you all in March!

Watson

PS....MeanMom....bless you for helping these kids. I am a chef in a childrenīs crisis centre where we also have a lot of behaviours and it sure isnīt easy work that I watch the staff do with these kids. I sure couldnīt do it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast