Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Good Grief no wonder we marched in the streets. >

Good Grief no wonder we marched in the streets.

Good Grief no wonder we marched in the streets.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by catrancher
Good Grief. They forgot to say "Lie down in front of the door so he can walk on you as he comes in."

And excuse me . . . Don't complain if he stays out all night? And if he gives you an STD, assume you got it from a toilet seat.
In the 50's if you complained about your husband's abuse to the cops (or your friends) the prevailing attitude was "What did you do to make him mad." It was always the woman's fault for not being "good" enough or "submissive" enough. The last one is why I no longer attend a Baptist Church.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by kellen46
Puuleezee give us a break, this was the prevailing blah blah back then. They forgot to say not to chide him for having a mistress because his job is so stress-full he needs to spend time with someone younger and hotter than you, and oh yes, he likes his scrambled eggs soft but not runny, his shirts with light starch and the socks rolled from the top down. I don't know who wrote this but he needs to be turning on a spit in a hot place full of angry women.
Not gonna lie, I think there's a lot of helpful suggestions on there. Then again, I've always been a bit conservative. Still, I respect women's right to disagree with all that was said there...I just find it works for me! :)
Old 10-07-2010, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by dljennings
two sayings guarenteed to make me nuts

any woman "my husband lets (or won't let) me________"

any father "i have to babysit so the wife can ______"

my oldest ds said the babysit thing ONCE, dh just backed away from the dining room table & told him, "you are on your own" he's never said it again!
love the babysitting thing HELLO its not babysitting when it is your own kid!!!!

and someone asked me once if my husband would LET me do something and i just laughed in their face and i told them my husband and i dont LET each other do anything-we do what we want we may consult each other but we dont ask permission that is why we left our daddies house!
Old 10-07-2010, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Lady Shivesa
Puuleezee give us a break, this was the prevailing blah blah back then. They forgot to say not to chide him for having a mistress because his job is so stress-full he needs to spend time with someone younger and hotter than you, and oh yes, he likes his scrambled eggs soft but not runny, his shirts with light starch and the socks rolled from the top down. I don't know who wrote this but he needs to be turning on a spit in a hot place full of angry women.
Not gonna lie, I think there's a lot of helpful suggestions on there. Then again, I've always been a bit conservative. Still, I respect women's right to disagree with all that was said there...I just find it works for me! :)
There's nothing wrong with doing everything on the list if it is gratifying to you; and, I would expect that in your life something to comes back the other way too. I also expect that this is a lifestyle choice you've made, not a mandate. The list here implies that the only thing the woman should expect from life is the gratification she gets from serving her husband. Further, children are not "treasures," they are people. They have their own needs, and not just from their mother, but from their father too.

It's not realistic or even healthy then or now to expect women to be completely self-sacraficing with nothing coming back in return. And I don't care how gratifying it might be, no one can give from an empty cup year after year after year.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by gloing
Hi kellen, If I remember right women could not sell any stock without there husbands permission up intill the 80tys. I could be wrong, I am an old lady of 70, and I do have senior monents. Have a great day. Love ya Glo
There were lots and lots of laws on the books regulating women and what they could or could not do....still even...I have a friend in her late twenties who wants to have her tubes tied, she has her family and is content. So she can't have one without her husbands permission or until she turns thirty....Has anyone heard about informed consent? She can have any type of cosmetic surgery she wants but not this. It is her body and if she wants to curb her own fertility with out taking a pill that might have long term effects that is her choice. We still are not in charge of our own bodies.
Back in the late 70s when I wanted a tubal I went to a Planned Parenthood Clinic they said I could not get a low cost tubal unless I might be Hispanic....so I was a Hispanic for a day to get my tubes tied...now that is just racist. What I am for is freedom of choice. If you want to be the kind of woman who submits to husband or church, OK, do it but don't push it off on everyone and don't try to tell us that it is the only right way to be. I don't submit well to anything but age and budgetary restrictions. It is all I can do sometimes just to obey all those road signs command me to merge or reduce my speed. I do because I am not stupid however I hate being told what to do even from a sign. Maybe I am just ornery and contrary as everyone keeps telling me or maybe I just like being able to think for myself.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:14 AM

Hi kellen, If I remember right women could not sell any stock without there husbands permission up intill the 80tys. I could be wrong, I am an old lady of 70, and I do have senior monents. Have a great day. Love ya Glo
I have a friend in her late twenties who wants to have her tubes tied, she has her family and is content.
What if she's not married?
Old 10-07-2010, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by catrancher
I have a friend in her late twenties who wants to have her tubes tied, she has her family and is content.
What if she's not married?
in ohio you have to be at least 25 2 kids and if you are married husband has to give consent same for a vasectomy i do beleive husbands have to give consent for a hysterectomy also my question is what is going to stop someone from lying about being married duh! i know men who have done it!
Old 10-07-2010, 11:02 AM

This was the way it was until the late 70's when women were not chattle, and we could file abuse cases in court.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:18 AM

Yeah...... I always cook in High heels as shown in the photo!! Makes me laugh!! Whats next mowing the lawn in heels?!
Old 10-07-2010, 11:20 AM

Sorry I double posted