Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Good Grief no wonder we marched in the streets. >

Good Grief no wonder we marched in the streets.

Good Grief no wonder we marched in the streets.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
Thanks for the laugh.

I do a lot of those things for my husband cheerfully.
That's how I was raised, a woman takes care of the home her husband provides for her. My husband makes sure I have what my heart desires, a new truck every few years, a fantastic sewing room and plenty of laughter in the house.
Ditto- Im only 40 & I do alot of those things too..and my hubby is spoiled, spoiled, spoiled!!.. He lovingly brags about it too.. I do it out of respect , love and admiration.. I'M fortunate to be a SAHM, brand new car, and a wonderfully stocked sewing room.. I was raised to take care of my man, my family and my home...
We must be a dying breed.
:)
Old 10-06-2010, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by kellen46
Puuleezee give us a break, this was the prevailing blah blah back then. They forgot to say not to chide him for having a mistress because his job is so stress-full he needs to spend time with someone younger and hotter than you, and oh yes, he likes his scrambled eggs soft but not runny, his shirts with light starch and the socks rolled from the top down. I don't know who wrote this but he needs to be turning on a spit in a hot place full of angry women.
That last line says it all... A good wife knows her place???? Yes, she does, it's usually at work, the same hours as HIM! My DH does anything around the house that I ask, as long as I work at something, while he does it. He likes to feel he is saving me from being overworked! Works for us. :thumbup:
Old 10-06-2010, 09:20 PM
Banned

I have read that before, and I remember laughing about that then, I think I read it to hubby to and asked if he would rather me not work, and stay home and try mind you to be this way. he new it would never happen, besides I made good money and carried all the health benifits. God bless.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:52 PM

Didn't read past the title - new it wasn't ever going to apply to me!
Old 10-07-2010, 12:11 AM

Remember the Proverbial/virtuous woman in the Bible, Proverbs 31: 10-28?
Old 10-07-2010, 04:28 AM

I am very blessed to finally be able to stay home and be a full time wife and mother. I love being able to make a home where my husband and kids (two left at home) can find a place of peace and comfort at the end of their day. I thoroughly enjoy cooking and cleaning, shopping and seeing to it that healthy, nutritious, hot meals are on the table every night. I try to make sure we each get a 'favorite' meal from time to time (we have seen to it that our children are not picky eaters so this is very easy). Is our house always spotless - no, do I 'prepare' our children before my husband comes through the door - no, do I greet him with a warm/cool drink - sometimes, not always, do I change my clothes for him - if I'm especially unkempt - yes, I do. I want my husband to love coming home to a place of quiet and comfort - he's been out working all day and has been dealing with customers all day - he does not need to come home to a place of chaos, etc. Do I think for myself - most definitely. I am a well-educated woman born in the early 60's, raised with a stay at home mom and went on to college after high school. Was on my own for 8 years before marrying. I DO know being a SAHM is stressful no doubt, but after years of making sure we raised our children (TOGETHER) and training them we now have a home with teenagers in it who are not rebelling, who do help out (yes our boys have been trained to take out the garbage, do the dishes, sweep the floor and one is an excellent cook, with the other beginning to learn, they can both sew on buttons and hem a pair of pants. Our daughter is preparing now to be a SAHM as they look forward to their first child. She, too, will do as I've done. The women's lib movement did do some good things - voting, education, etc. but it did do great injustices for women also. Proverbs 31 did come to my mind after reading the first post. Thanks for mentioning it here. Now, I'll get off MY soapbox. :)
Old 10-07-2010, 05:59 AM

Yes I have seen that before. Can you imagine that is what used to be the norm?
Old 10-07-2010, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Grammy o'5
OMG!!! You are right ... no wonder ...
Is this straight from "Leave it to Beaver"?
I wonder if there really were women who tried to be this way?

Anyway ... it ain't happenin' at this house!!! LOL
My family (grandparents, 6 children & spouses, numerous grandchildren and great-grands - about 60 people) always had reunions, large Christmas dinners, etc., The rule was - men and children ate first and then the women got the leftovers.

A newly married into the family wife thought this was terrible. Then, when the women got ready to sit down at the table she was astounded to watch the good pieces of chicken come out of hiding. The women always put the breasts, etc. (as well as the sweets)that they wanted in the cabinet until it was "their" turn to eat.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:41 AM

I'd rather be single than adhere to that list. My husband knows not to expect ANY of those items unless he plans to reciprocate. We both work full-time and we both provided our home. When his male ego tries to show its supposed superiority, it is quickly quenched by the female ego in the house. We each do our own laundry. At times when I am tired of making a decision about what to have for dinner, I will ask him what he plans to serve for dinner. Sometimes he grills and sometimes we eat out when he does not feel like cooking. LOL
Old 10-07-2010, 07:59 AM

Good Grief. They forgot to say "Lie down in front of the door so he can walk on you as he comes in."

And excuse me . . . Don't complain if he stays out all night? And if he gives you an STD, assume you got it from a toilet seat.