Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Good Grief no wonder we marched in the streets. >

Good Grief no wonder we marched in the streets.

Good Grief no wonder we marched in the streets.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:57 PM

It's good that some of these suggestions have gone the way of the Edsel, but my opinion is that the lives of most children these days would't be so chaotic if most of these were still in style.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:59 PM

I personally think there are some good ideas posted on the list. Clearing clutter is never a bad thing. I always feel better when my home is neat, tidy and uncluttered. Be happy to see him when he returns home. I'm always glad to see my husband when he comes home, it means he arrived home safely. I usually greet him at the door along with the dog and kids. I ask him how his day was and try to let him speak first because once I start talking he might not get a word in edgewise. I like to have dinner shortly after my husband gets home. My daughters and I are usually famished by that time anyway. It also means dinner and dishes get done and I have time for other things I enjoy like playing cards with my family, watching a movie or quilting. I sleep better when my dinner has had time to digest before bed. I do the cooking, cleaning, and laundry. I am also the one that is home more. I am SAHM and I homeschool my daughters. I guess you could say that I am the keeper of the home.Some things just work better for me and my family. Maybe I don't mind doing my best to take care of my family because my husband loves and respects me. He doesn't expect any thing from me but is thankful for all that I do. I love him and my children and am glad that my labors make life better for us all. If those things on the list were required of me of course I would rebell. Nobody likes being told what to do or when to do it. I'm glad that we have more options and are no longer 2nd class citizens.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:17 AM

:thumbdown: I think I would arrange his pillow for him on top of his face and hold down firmly. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
JUST KIDDING. If more of us followed these rules we would be living in a much better world. one of the problems today is we all tend to do what we want and not what we ALL want. the world is to full of me isms
Old 10-08-2010, 02:26 AM

[quote=Chasing Hawk][quote=catmcclure][quote=hulahoop1]
Originally Posted by Eddie
Originally Posted by JudyG
Originally Posted by Eddie
Wow, I really like that! It is so full of truth! :)
There is one rule that we should remember.

If mama ain't happy NOBODY is happy.
That is an old wives tale?.........LOL
Well, I am a very old wife and it's true around my house.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by catmcclure
Originally Posted by catrancher
Good Grief. They forgot to say "Lie down in front of the door so he can walk on you as he comes in."

And excuse me . . . Don't complain if he stays out all night? And if he gives you an STD, assume you got it from a toilet seat.
In the 50's if you complained about your husband's abuse to the cops (or your friends) the prevailing attitude was "What did you do to make him mad." It was always the woman's fault for not being "good" enough or "submissive" enough. The last one is why I no longer attend a Baptist Church.
This all sounds very familiar, but it wasn't/isn't just the Baptists. The problem with advocating subjugation is that it leaves the door wide open for exploitation. Notice that there is not one word in that thing about respect due to the wife? I have absolutely nothing against wives who choose to perform a traditional role, but I do notice that those who are happy to do this speak of the respect and love they receive in return. This document offends me because it is totally one sided.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:08 AM

**gag** No wonder women started burning their bras!
Old 10-08-2010, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by kellen46
Originally Posted by gloing
Hi kellen, If I remember right women could not sell any stock without there husbands permission up intill the 80tys. I could be wrong, I am an old lady of 70, and I do have senior monents. Have a great day. Love ya Glo
I have a friend in her late twenties who wants to have her tubes tied, she has her family and is content.
What if she's not married?
Well, presumably if she is not married then she shouldn't be having sex....Then there is the whole over thirty thing. I ran into that. I had to wait til I was thirty one. I will tell you a sad story about an old client of mine. By the time she was in her mid twenties she had had five children and all were removed permanently from her care. She lived in the drug culture by choice, which involved unprotected sex, and drug use during pregnancy. All of her five children were born drug affected. Now she wanted a tubal because she was smart enough and had just enough goodness left to not want to bring any more children into the world given her life choices. But she couldn't get any one in this town to do it for her. She was not over thirty and not married. Ok. so now she has two more children, both drug affected, both removed at birth. Finally with her seventh child the doctor took pity or disgust and did a tubal when she delivered the baby. She was very clear, I don't want to change my life style but I also don't want to bring children into this life either. How much better if she could have just gotten the tubal when she asked for it. We do have a right to choose if we want children or not. We do have a right to choose if we never want to have children despite our (adults only) age or marital status. I know unmarried women can get tubals, I did but I had to go to another town to do it as the town I lived in had only one hospital and they would not do them. If we can have a boob job on demand why not a tubal. Of the friend who wanted to curb her fertility finally her husband had a vasectomy, he did not need her permission and he was not over thirty....what is wrong with this picture. If you think we are now some how liberated or equal then just try to step outside the boundaries and see what happens. The territory may be broader, but they are still there. Women make up half the population of the word and yet still there are so many are given poor choice if any. Ahhh I still get mad about this.
I wonder what the world would be like if all women every where had true economic and reproductive freedom.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by gloing
Hi kellen, If I remember right women could not sell any stock without there husbands permission up intill the 80tys. I could be wrong, I am an old lady of 70, and I do have senior monents. Have a great day. Love ya Glo
I have a friend in her late twenties who wants to have her tubes tied, she has her family and is content.
What if she's not married?
Well, presumably if she is not married then she shouldn't be having sex....Then there is the whole over thirty thing. I ran into that. I had to wait til I was thirty one. I will tell you a sad story about an old client of mine. By the time she was in her mid twenties she had had five children and all were removed permanently from her care. She lived in the drug culture by choice, which involved unprotected sex, and drug use during pregnancy. All of her five children were born drug affected. Now she wanted a tubal because she was smart enough and had just enough goodness left to not want to bring any more children into the world given her life choices. But she couldn't get any one in this town to do it for her. She was not over thirty and not married. Ok. so now she has two more children, both drug affected, both removed at birth. Finally with her seventh child the doctor took pity or disgust and did a tubal when she delivered the baby. She was very clear, I don't want to change my life style but I also don't want to bring children into this life either. How much better if she could have just gotten the tubal when she asked for it. We do have a right to choose if we want children or not. We do have a right to choose if we never want to have children despite our (adults only) age or marital status. I know unmarried women can get tubals, I did but I had to go to another town to do it as the town I lived in had only one hospital and they would not do them. If we can have a boob job on demand why not a tubal. Of the friend who wanted to curb her fertility finally her husband had a vasectomy, he did not need her permission and he was not over thirty....what is wrong with this picture. If you think we are now some how liberated or equal then just try to step outside the boundaries and see what happens. The territory may be broader, but they are still there. Women make up half the population of the word and yet still there are so many are given poor choice if any. Ahhh I still get mad about this.
I wonder what the world would be like if all women every where had true economic and reproductive freedom.
Hm. I did an internship at a drug and alchohol treatment program for pregnant and parenting women. They were all encouraged to get a contraceptive implant when they came into treatment. Most did. Still, even among graduates of the program, few were able to maintain their sobriety or their families. It's very sad.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by noveltyjunkie
This all sounds very familiar, but it wasn't/isn't just the Baptists. The problem with advocating subjugation is that it leaves the door wide open for exploitation. Notice that there is not one word in that thing about respect due to the wife? I have absolutely nothing against wives who choose to perform a traditional role, but I do notice that those who are happy to do this speak of the respect and love they receive in return. This document offends me because it is totally one sided.
I agree, the article would have been much more tolerable if it mentioned the duties of the husband (which in the Bible include loving their wives as Jesus loves the church). But I think this was written only for a female audience and thus didn't feel the need to address the male's responsibilities.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:48 AM
Administrator

please do not exploit this topic as an opportunity to preach politics or religion. we'll be forced to either lock or delete it.

the article doesn't make me angry.
it doesn't make me sad.
it doesn't upset me in any way, or to any degree.

it's from "ancient" history.
articles like that are circulated now as humor.

so i'm laughing. :lol: