Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
got a question for all you quilters who took over your kids rooms. >

got a question for all you quilters who took over your kids rooms.

got a question for all you quilters who took over your kids rooms.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
How did your children react when you took over their rooms after they left the nest and turned it into a sewing room?

My DS won't let our parents do anything to her room. she has been married for 4 yrs. and lives 4 hrs away. She is the baby of the family and spoiled(not by me). When I left home my Mom packed my room and did the same with my DB. Making sure we didn't come back to live just visit.
The way I see it, unless your sister is paying the mortgage on your parents house. She has no say on what happens to her room after she moves out. So tell Mom, knock out a few walls, add that long arm with that really long frame and have a blast...lol

Quilters united!!! As soon as the ink is dry on those diplomas, start redecorating the kids rooms with fabric swatches.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:05 AM
k3n
Power Poster

I've got a way to go before this is an issue as my kids are 7 and 5 but I guess when it came to it, if they wanted me to keep their rooms I'd say 'fine, but then I get to have a room of MY own in YOUR house'! :mrgreen:

Having said that, I can remember the feeling when I went back home from Uni for the first time and my Mother had torn down my posters, boxed up my stuff and redecorated... :?
Old 02-17-2010, 08:20 AM
Power Poster

I don't know I never asked them! They are my kids not my 'have to check with me first to do what you want with your house' bosses.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:05 AM

My situation was a little different. When kids left home we really didn't need the family room anymore so my hubby took it over for his office (he likes to multi task in front of the TV) and I took the office for my sewing room. The kids still have a place to go when they come home (I also use their rooms as guest rooms) and everyone is happy at our house. :-D :-D
Old 02-17-2010, 11:41 AM

Oldest daughter moved out when she was engaged. I turned her room into my sewing room because it had the best light. We had a spare room that was a combination guest/sewing room, so that room became only a guest room. Low and behold, engagement off, a devastated daughter back home. First there were a few extra tears about me "stealing" her room, but since she sews, too, she learned to appreciate the better space and light.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:47 AM
Power Poster

I would not ask my kids, a couple did have to move back for a short while. They slept in the rooms, I hadn't gotten back into sewing at that time. I figure they are too old now and can get a place of their own, 47-43-40.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:40 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Thank You everyone for your stories. I really enjoyed reading all of them. I still have a ways to go before I can take over any rooms. My oldest is 16 and plans on staying home while going to college. I don't have a problem with that except I told her that she would have to work too if she wants to live here.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:44 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
Originally Posted by cjomomma
How did your children react when you took over their rooms after they left the nest and turned it into a sewing room?

My DS won't let our parents do anything to her room. she has been married for 4 yrs. and lives 4 hrs away. She is the baby of the family and spoiled(not by me). When I left home my Mom packed my room and did the same with my DB. Making sure we didn't come back to live just visit.
The way I see it, unless your sister is paying the mortgage on your parents house. She has no say on what happens to her room after she moves out. So tell Mom, knock out a few walls, add that long arm with that really long frame and have a blast...lol

Quilters united!!! As soon as the ink is dry on those diplomas, start redecorating the kids rooms with fabric swatches.
Mom does what she wants. If I even suggest such a thing she just gives me dirty looks and walks away while my Dad is saying that sounds good to me. ;)
Old 02-17-2010, 01:04 PM

this was a non-issue for us. Just before we moved I had a come and get your stuff or it will be tossed party!
Old 02-17-2010, 03:02 PM
Administrator

when i got home the first time after joining the army, my mom had made a lot of changes to my room. i definitely did NOT like it. i felt like a visitor in my own home. :hunf:

AND there was a dishwasher, a microwave and the color television they had refused to buy when my brothers and i were growing up. double :hunf:

the nerve! :lol:

i was married and had a baby of my own when my parents sold the house i'd grown up in. i was happy for my parents because they were off to start their new life, but was also quite sad. to this day, i still think "those people are living in MY house." :lol:

the thing is that those moments brought home the reality that i had left the nest. i was out on my own and obligated to take care of myself. of course, i got over each "shock" in a few minutes. for one thing, those were the moments that proved my parents recognized i was an adult and were confident i could take care of myself. how bad could that be? ;-)

i left my son's room alone until he'd been in the air force for a few years. he had no intention of moving back to this "one horse town" and i saw no reason to try dragging him back.

wouldn't you know it? i had his room nearly converted to a sewing room when .... "er ... ummm ... hey, Mom. would it be ok if i came back home long enough to finish my degree?"

of course, dear. who needs a dining room, anyway? (ok. i confess. he's free to leave again whenever he wants to. i wouldn't dream of trying to talk him out of it. but i don't mind even one little bit that my roommate also happens to be my one and only son.) (did i mention he mows the lawn?) :XD: :XD: :XD: