Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
got a question for all you quilters who took over your kids rooms. >

got a question for all you quilters who took over your kids rooms.

got a question for all you quilters who took over your kids rooms.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:13 PM

Both my girls know....if you move out, you CAN come back, but you will also have to share the room with my sewing things. They don't mind. I love having my kids home, but I also love having them gone, but when they are gone, I do miss them like crazy......
Old 02-17-2010, 04:18 PM
Banned

I remember my mother turning my room into her sewing room after I got married and moved out. She had been using her bedroom as the sewing room all those years (we only had a two bedroom house). I felt sad that she had to wait so long to have her own room to sew in.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:03 PM

My son is moving back in with me next week-- after being gone for quite awhile- but no job, no money- hey, I won't let him live in his car. So, I give up the guestroom-- where I sleep since my DH is so sick and I need to sleep. I'm going to have to downsize the stuff in my sewing room to fit a bed in there for me. This is not the best, but I'm his mom and I'm there for him.
We'll adapt. And I need to downsize anyway.
Cheryl
Old 02-17-2010, 05:16 PM

When DD got married, left for her honeymoon, I gutted her room. Took her bedroom furinture to her new house. She came back to visit, finding her room - my sewing room. Since then I've changed that room to my fabric room. DH enclosed the garage for my sewing studio. Love it. I've sewed all my childrens life so I'm sure they weren't surprised.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:49 PM

Starting in 1999, my son went away to school and I kept shrine #1. He graduated from that school, got his B>SC and his masters in biology and the shrine was kept. Bought his own house and the shrine was kept. His room was one of the two small bedrooms. Erin went away to school in 2002 and even though I coveted her bigger bedroom Shrine #2 was established and kept until 2008. She graduated from university last year and is working on her teaching credentials and lives in her own house. When I retired I decided enough with the shrines. Now I have two small-ish guest rooms. One has some classy Star Trek memorabilia decorating it and the other has a delicate collection of music boxes and figurines. AND I have a beautiful BIG sewing room that gets the morning sun and has two lovely storage closets. Hubby and I have the fourth bedroom (also a big room) and for the 10 or so nights that they spend in our house each year, Erin chooses the guest room that has the queen sized bed and if Ryan is home at the same time he lets her have her pick. I think they are both happy that they don't have to sleep on their narrow mates beds anymore!
Old 02-17-2010, 05:53 PM
Banned

If shes married and out of the house, well its not her house and she dosent have a say, and your mom has a right to have a nice sewing room. After rasing her children tell her to injoy her new sewing room!
Old 02-17-2010, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I don't know I never asked them! They are my kids not my 'have to check with me first to do what you want with your house' bosses.
AMEN to that! :)

Mine will be 18 in April.. says she is moving out asap. Funny, no job, no car, but she says she's gone. LOL

I have been making plans to take over her room for a year now. If she needs to come back we can squeeze her in the other room.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:58 PM

I can't completely take over their rooms yet since they come home for college breaks. As soon as they graduate, I won't feel any obligation to keep 'their' rooms for them anymore.

Of course, one of my daughters thinks that we should be keeping not only her room as a shrine, but the house as well. She was shocked when I said something about moving some day. 'you can't sell this house - I grew up here'. I told her she was free to buy it if she wants. :wink:
Old 02-17-2010, 08:15 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Actually... I had the room first, before the boys came and took it over. And a nice room it is, with windows on three walls and a wood floor (which is much better than carpet, when you're working with pins and littering threads).

And yes I do want it back someday. But I think maybe I'd rather have it as a bedroom, because it is right under the eaves and the rain on the roof makes such a lovely lullaby at night...
Old 02-17-2010, 08:55 PM
Power Poster

I started turning my son's room into my sewing room about an hour after he moved. Hey, he was getting married so why not? What could he say? :lol:

Now he's separated and back home and sleeps in the LR on an aero mattress, and we share my sewing room.