Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Grumpy attitude- a bit of whining >

Grumpy attitude- a bit of whining

Grumpy attitude- a bit of whining

Old 03-05-2010, 06:29 PM

This is from one more who suffers from clinical depression. Talk to the dr about it and see what he/she thinks. I am intolerant of most mainstream antidepressants but I do have a great dr and a therapist both of whom I see regularly. That helps me but may not be for everyone. When I was going thru a particularly difficult period, my pastor (who has life experience with depression) helped me more than did the other 2 professionals. When I am down, I put on gospel and old inspirational hymns and that does help but so does walking my dogs and just getting out of the house.
I agree with the poster who talked about circles of control and influence. Your family is either in the middle or outer circle and the only thing you can control there is your own reaction to and actions towards them so let go and let GOD!!! He is in control all the way and all the time. God's blessings on your situation and your stress levels. God bless you also. Chris
Old 03-05-2010, 06:38 PM

Oh, my. Too many of us have been there! I started having problems several years ago when my husband (who I have since lost) was getting sicker and sicker, my job was getting more and more stressful, and I just couldn't see any way out of it all. His doctor recommended someone for me to talk to, which of course at the time my attitude was 'I'm just fine. I'll suck it up and be okay. I don't need help.'

Fast forward 6 months, and I absolutely needed help. I went to see this person - she's a life coach. She saved my life. Having someone to talk to that you are not related to is a wonderful thing. She never told me what to do, but asked me a lot of really good questions that helped me get a better understanding of what was really bothering me, what I really wanted in life, and how to get there. She taught me that you can't control what life throws at you, but you can control how you react to it.

Whether or not you are clinically depressed, I sure couldn't give you a diagnosis. But coming from my experience, I know that connecting with the right person who will listen and not judge can make all the difference in the world.

Today, I still visit my life coach every couple of months - mostly because we really enjoy each other's conversation, and really can laugh together. Lord knows, I spent enough time crying in her office, it feels good to laugh now.

I wish you peace and joy. You can find it in spite of all the downs that life can sometimes bring. Sending white light your way!
Old 03-05-2010, 07:05 PM
Power Poster

You really do sound depressed. Do you have a trusted Dr. you could talk to. My sis is the happiest person you could meet, but when she has a ton of problems in her life she took antidepressants for a while. They helped her.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:01 AM

First off, God loves you, messy house, crappy attitude and all. Secondly, you're going on my very special prayer list.

Thirdly, as so many have suggested: Get to the doctor! They can give you even a "little" something that will help immensely until you get yourself back on an even keel.

And here's something that usually works: Imagine you are in say, a Wal-Mart Super Center with 45 minutes to wait. You don't want to spend any money, so you're not looking to purchase anything right now. What department will you go to for the 45 minutes and what will you look at? - That's your current passion. Pursue it!

As to the pity pot, we all "need" to visit it from time to time. But when we forget how and when to flush, that's when you get to the doctor. Man! If I didn't have my hormones, I'd be the wicked witch of the west.

Most of all prayer will pull you out of this pit. I'm honored to send a few your way. Hang in there; we're all here for you. Do stay in touch.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:37 AM

I was in a blue funk yesterday also, DH couldn't look sideways at me LOL...then invited DD to dinner and I was having leftovers. Gleefully she called and couldn't make it LOL...I can just laugh because I know this will pass and then it dawned on me, you dummy you took a sleeping pill last night and just can't wake up. by 5 PM things looked better, theres always a silver lining isn't there?
Old 03-06-2010, 06:44 AM

I think we all feel this way at times. Just hang in there. Reminds me of a country song- dont know who sings it, but its called: Sounds like life to me. You know our Lord and Savior didnt have it made on this earth, why should we expect perfection for ourselves. The lows make us appreciate the mountain tops. God loves you!!
Old 03-06-2010, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Karyn
I think we all feel this way at times. Just hang in there. Reminds me of a country song- dont know who sings it, but its called: Sounds like life to me. You know our Lord and Savior didnt have it made on this earth, why should we expect perfection for ourselves. The lows make us appreciate the mountain tops. God loves you!!
I like this
Old 03-06-2010, 07:51 AM

help out sombody who is worse off than you,,,
Old 03-06-2010, 08:06 AM

I think the main thing is don't listen to anyone that says just snap out of it. If is persists, get help. There is no shame in admitting you are depressed. If it is clinical, you need help, don't depend on time or prayer to heal you. It may help but if it is clinical it will come back and frequently. I can't tell you how wonderful life is once I got help.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:11 AM

There is just no need to feel sheepish about venting. Sucking it up only works to a point; sometimes you have to let it out instead.

Here's hoping you got those few things done that you planned to do. If so, you should feel a little better, both for the accomplishment and for the improvement in your surroundings.

Enjoy that Dr. Pepper! Sometimes you just need what you want.