Has anyone here had this?

Old 05-31-2011, 05:35 PM

I haven't ever heard of this. I do pray she gets better soon. Sending gentle hugs your way.

Angie
Old 05-31-2011, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by mzsooz
Originally Posted by isnthatodd
Sorry to hear this. Have you done a google search?
Yes...everything is very simply explained. She is getting over the infection. Her strep antibody number went from 880 to 412 but she still has a ways to go. The CRP number also went down a little. I guess this all will just take time but I hate to see her suffer. She can barely get out of bed and this has been going on for 6 months!! She had to drop out of high school because of it. :cry:

I asked the cardiologist about going to a rheumatologist and he was ok with it but thought it wasn't needed. I just want my old Darcy back
(1) See another physician.
(2) Get your daughter back in school. School districts are required to provide the most appropriate instruction for students and that includes sending certified teachers to the homes of ailing students. I cannot imagine why the school district allowed your daughter to drop out. Even if they weren't interested in her as a person, most get some pretty big bucks for every special needs student and they like those bucks.
(3) Don't let them intimidate you. You can look up what the law is and you can get a copy of the district policy book and be ready to quote chapter and verse to whomever you talk. Look up "homebound" instruction. froggyintexas (retired teacher and a school district's worst nightmare when it comes to taking care of kids)
Old 05-31-2011, 08:08 PM

I had rheumatic back in 1943 The only thing back then was they use heat on my legs I still have legs aches and it left me with a weak heart but I am 73 and I have had 5 children they might have some other way to treat in to day back when I had it they used heat and also aspirns
Old 06-01-2011, 07:02 AM

I'm so sorry to hear of your daughter's illness and hope she's better soon!
My father and his sister both had Rheumatic Fever in their teens. They both were diagnosed with heart valve impairment in their 50's that their MDs thought might be related to the RF. Dad had mitral valve replacement at 60. His sister died of some sort of circulatory problems in her 60's, not sure of exactly what as they had lost contact over the years. We do know that she suffered from severe varicose veins. Related to the RA??
Had they known of the possible connection, could the valve problems have been prevented? I certainly don't want to scare you, but please ask your daughter's doctor, perhaps confer with a cardiologist?
Old 06-01-2011, 07:07 AM

I want to add that my Dad is now 89, and his heart will still be going loooong after the rest of him gives up!! It's now the healthiest part of him!
Old 06-01-2011, 11:20 AM
Power Poster

Discover magazine, May 2011 issue, has a two-page "Vital Signs" case report on a patient with rheumatic fever (pages 20-21). Apparently it has become extremely rare in the U.S., so the article says there were just 112 cases in 1994, the last year the U.S. tracked rheumatic fever cases.

What impressed me from this article is that your dd will need to be very vigilant about getting any future sore throat checked for strep. The woman in the case report had had RF as a child and got it again in her 50's. The doctors were very slow to correctly diagnose it and, as a result, it did some damage to her valves the second time around.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:24 AM

Poor kid! I hope her pain can be alleviated. Both my husband and my sister had rheumatic fever in the 40's and I remember going to visit my sister at the hospital...from the outside, waving to her through the window. They both were left with heart murmers which seem to have resolved themselves and both are 74 and in good health now.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:56 PM

God Bless her and you. Praying she heals soon and completely.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:40 PM

Trying to get her into a rheumatologist. Called to set up the appointment and they won't do it until they talk to the cardiologist. So, this may take awhile. But hopefully it will be worth it. Meanwhile she is in terrible pain. It is so hard to see your kids suffer.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:20 PM

Now my poor kid has 16 cavities and needs a root canal! I'm wondering if Rf affects your teeth too. The dentist didn't really think so. She just doesn't take care of her teeth right. Probably feeling horrible played a part.

I did find out that the Arthritis clinic has contacted the cardiologist for her records so that is good news.

After the rheumatologist and dentist I'm going to get her to an endocrinologist and probably an opthamologist to check her eyes. I think the RF is affecting her eyes too. My cousin that RF wound up nearly blind after her bout with it.

Any of you end up with bad vision afterwards?