Has anyone here had this?

Old 05-31-2011, 06:50 AM

OMG ... my co-worker is still recovering from this. She is now back to work and doing better. Darn it ... I'm going back to read the thread now to see if I can answer any of your question ... was so astonished at the post I hit post too quick :oops:
Old 05-31-2011, 07:31 AM

You and Darcy will be in my thoughts and prayers. Will lift both of you in prayer. Hang in there. The road is very bumpy. She is young and will bounce back. If you get a second opinion, maybe that DR. will sign papers for home tutoring. Worth a try. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:03 AM

As a mom this is where you have to get nasty- if the doctors are giving the -just wait it's not good enough. They need to be very specific.
Regarding school- and Mom's this is to all of you...
We are finding more and more that schools are telling parents what to do instead of parents putting their foot down and demaning the schools do as they are supposed to and be accountable to parents.
When I was in high school (29 years ago) I faced a dilemma that no kid should have to. My Algebra teacher insisted I was unteachable and whined so much about it she had me forced out of the class with a audit on my records. At the time I was releived not realizing the trouble this would cause.
I took the only class still open that late in the year which was drivers ed- a 1/4 credit. Come my senior year I was told I did not have enough credits to graduate and would have to go elsewhere to get a GED. When I went to the school I was told so sorry you're not our problem. I becamed furious and waited for hours for the principle to finally give up and admit he was in his office. He sat smuggly behind his desk explaining this wasn't their problem and I needed to leave. Now normally I am very withdrawn and avoid confrontation but this was not the time for it. I pointed out that he was the one who signed off the demands for me to be removed form a class based soley on what a teacher said and at no point was there verification of her claims or any disruption or conflict caused by me to her classroom mearly a student who sat at the back of the classroom doodling because nothing made sense.
It eventually came down to threatening him with a visit to the school board and media release of his mismanagement and abuse of his position. In order to get my diploma I had to return for another semester following me senior years and was required to take a full class load even though I needed a 1/4 credit which I did and recieved my diploma even though it was a year late. Do not let the school tell you this is you're only option. You have to fight for her and sometimes that isn't pleasent but if you won't no one will.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:05 AM

I read somewhere reciently that measles was making a return to the states. People who travel abroad don't always get all the shots they need and bring it back home with them on their return.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:27 AM

Check 3 web sites: National Institutes of Health (nih.gov), Mayo Clinic, and Cleveland Clinic to verify if your daughter's prescribed treatment coincides with the standard treatments shown on these sites. I expect that there is a contact place on these web sites to get your questions answered. Also, some health insurances (like the Blues) have a nurse hotline that you could use.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:44 AM

I can pray for all of you
Old 05-31-2011, 11:05 AM

Have you thought of a child cardologist? ( heart Dr.) I would think they would be good for a second opinion.I had rheumatic fever as a child but that was many years ago and it can affect the heart. What ever you do I would get a second opinion even if it is just for your own self to deal. I am going to be 77 this year so I survived my bout.
Hope this helps and doesn't scare you but if it was my baby I would want a second opinion.
Love and prayers. Pickle
Old 05-31-2011, 12:49 PM

I had rheumatic fever when I was 10 yrs old. It came from strep also. I remember pain in my joints (mostly legs) for a mo. or so before I could not walk at all, one night I screamed until they call ed a dr. He made a house call at 6:A.M. I remember talking a lot of pills, I missed 6 weeks of school, which I made up later. It seams I never had much energy, but always tried to keep up with my farm chores. Now I`m 72 yrs old, we have 5 kids, we worked very hard all the time, @ the age of 23, I got a severe case of arthritis(could not pin a diaper or lift a pitcher of milk) I say get a new Doctor now! It shoulden`t take this long. I was in bed 3 months.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by writerwomen
As a mom this is where you have to get nasty- if the doctors are giving the -just wait it's not good enough. They need to be very specific.
We are finding more and more that schools are telling parents what to do instead of parents putting their foot down and demaning the schools do as they are supposed to and be accountable to parents.
When I was in high school (29 years ago) I faced a dilemma that no kid should have to. My Algebra teacher insisted I was unteachable and whined so much about it she had me forced out of the class with a audit on my records. At the time I was releived not realizing the trouble this would cause.
I took the only class still open that late in the year which was drivers ed- a 1/4 credit. Come my senior year I was told I did not have enough credits to graduate and would have to go elsewhere to get a GED. When I went to the school I was told so sorry you're not our problem. I becamed furious and waited for hours for the principle to finally give up and admit he was in his office. He sat smuggly behind his desk explaining this wasn't their problem and I needed to leave. Now normally I am very withdrawn and avoid confrontation but this was not the time for it. I pointed out that he was the one who signed off the demands for me to be removed form a class based soley on what a teacher said and at no point was there verification of her claims or any disruption or conflict caused by me to her classroom mearly a student who sat at the back of the classroom doodling because nothing made sense.
It eventually came down to threatening him with a visit to the school board and media release of his mismanagement and abuse of his position. In order to get my diploma I had to return for another semester following me senior years and was required to take a full class load even though I needed a 1/4 credit which I did and recieved my diploma even though it was a year late. Do not let the school tell you this is you're only option. You have to fight for her and sometimes that isn't pleasent but if you won't no one will.
The school did not refuse, the doctor refused to sign the note. I handle all the homebound paperwork for the school district where I work and without that doctor's signature saying homebound instruction is necessary, the student is not eligible for tutoring. Your situation and this one are entirely different, so demanding solutions from a school that is following state and federal requirements is just going to create more problems than it solves. I support those who have said a second medical opinion should be sought. A doctor that refuses to sign for a student who is in that much pain, isn't much of a doctor in my opinion and I would definitely take my child to another doctor for help.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by quilter in the making
Originally Posted by writerwomen
The school did not refuse, the doctor refused to sign the note. I handle all the homebound paperwork for the school district where I work and without that doctor's signature saying homebound instruction is necessary, the student is not eligible for tutoring. Your situation and this one are entirely different, so demanding solutions from a school that is following state and federal requirements is just going to create more problems than it solves. I support those who have said a second medical opinion should be sought. A doctor that refuses to sign for a student who is in that much pain, isn't much of a doctor in my opinion and I would definitely take my child to another doctor for help.
- I'm confused by this reply- are you infact the parent of the child who originally posted this and the same parent of the child who had to drop out of school due to illness? No school can force a drop out like this though they believe they have the right to do so and it is not the doctor who is responsable for their education- the doctor in the case you are refering to must be held accountable for his care and his/her superiors must be contacted and held accountable- if not the medical board of the state- however- it is the school district who are mandated to ensure every child recieves that education unless the parents refuse to comply and provide an alternative educational program for the child. In that case it is turned over to welfare agencies who will intervene on behalf of the child when the parent does or can not. As I said above- whether you like to or not- you have to fight for your child- frankly I don't care anymore who might not think I'm the perfect school Mom. You have one oppurtunity to give your child what they need to achieve any thing in life and sitting on your hands not wanting to ruffle a few feathers says nothing more then others opinions of you are more important then your child. And if you work in an office that handles 'homebound' paper work what exactly is done to ensure that parents are made aware of every step needed to get the help they are elegible for. Ensure means more then a blind letter or email.