Has anyone here had this?

Old 05-31-2011, 04:00 AM

I havent had it but my Dad did when I was a child, I remember he had to have a special diet ,it contained heavy cream with ginger in it, I still like it over my cold cereal like that as he shared his with me. lol
Old 05-31-2011, 04:05 AM

I know you have a lot on your plate...but in the school arena, have you considered homeschooling your daughter? There is so much information on the internet on how to get started...try simplycharolettemason.com for some direction. At the very least, you could begin reading to your daughter (if she is too tired to read to herself) from the classic stories and talk with her about what you are reading together. This is an amazing level of learning when you read and your child narrates back to you. The library is a wonderful resource of good books to choose from.

It's just a thought...seems to me that you have so much to think about right now, that the worries about your daughter's education and trying to get the public school system to send out a tutor would be overwhelming to any of us. I know that reading to your child, regardless of age, is really good for all. So sorry you are going through this....hang in there.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:03 AM

I had the same thing when I was little. It did leave me with a heart murmer and an irregular heart beat. I am now in my (CHOKE) late 60's and still live a very active life.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:06 AM
Power Poster

I am sending Prayers!
Old 05-31-2011, 05:31 AM

Hope to quilt is right. They might even have to write an IEP and extend the school year for her. PM me for more info.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:03 AM

My son had rheumatic fever when he was 11. It took a long time to get over the physical pain from it. He was able to go back to school, but had to come home and rest every day.
We did have a rheumatologist in on the treatment. He, too had to take penicillin for several years, but now only before, during, and after dental work. He is 32 now and it is as though it never happened. We will be praying for your daughter.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:05 AM

I will keep her in my prayers... and you. Being a mom is one of life's toughest and most rewarding gifts...
Old 05-31-2011, 06:20 AM

Thanks everyone for your comments. I will try to respond to all comments in one message here.

As to school. She is in high school. The dr refused to sign the home hospital papers for us so we have decided to do internet high school.

I guess what I was wanting to know most was about the pain. Is it really this bad or does she have something else going on. Sounds like it is normal.

We will watch her diet better and try to eat foods that help with inflammation.

I am a little worried about the comments about the heart murmur. The cardiologist did an echocardiogram and said that her heart was normal so I'm hoping that this means she won't have later complications. He says no if she stays on her antibiotic and keeps those strep antibodies down.

Thanks again. Since this came up I'm amazed at how many people have had rheumatic fever. The cardiologist says that usually it doesn't get caught and then he sees them later to deal with the damage to their heart. I had two drs in on the discovery and it was me that kept asking about rheumatic fever until I finally got one to do the blood test. It is so frustrating when you have to force drs. to open their minds and do the tests that are needed.

Thanks again, you quilters are the best!!!!
Old 05-31-2011, 06:31 AM

My mom had that when I was in junior high. She did get over it, but it did take time (but not a year). I'll be praying for the two o you.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:48 AM

Always get a second opinion!!!