Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Have you adopted a child from the State? >

Have you adopted a child from the State?

Have you adopted a child from the State?

Old 10-08-2009, 02:50 PM

They are going to look for things like sleeping accommodations -- not so much does he have his own room but does he have his own bed and adequate space. They will look for your house to be tidy (not perfect) and safe. They will look in your cupboards to see if you have adequate food. They will also look at your other children (and probably interview them) to see if they are adequately fed and clothed and if they are kept clean. They will look for safety issues like is your house childproofed (especially since he is so young and little ones get into everything). Good luck.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:20 PM

Some great advice has been given...BUT.....Things that perspective parents often over look, simple things that are also SUPER CHEAP and don't take any time to install but could be a huge life savor. I am sure having young children in the house you already have most if not all of this stuff but.....
Outlet covers, drawer and cabinet locks, the little things that go over the door handles so children can not get into certain rooms alone (the bathroom, they say a child could drown in the toilet. I know this is hard to do with a young child who needs to go to the bathroom NOW! lol) make sure all aplliances and entertainment centers/computer desks/dressers are secured to the floor/wall. Might even want to go as far as get a chain lock for doors leading outside if you don't alread. If stove knobs are on the front of the stove get the covers so the child can not turn it on.

I use to work hand in hand with foster families and I have been through many inspections with families before.

Good luck! I hope everything works out for the best of the child.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:49 PM
Power Poster

I wish for the best possible outcome for all concerned.

Blessings to you and yours - - - -

Make sure you think this out carefully and follow your heart - hopefully their decisions will match
Old 10-09-2009, 12:16 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Good luck with this IJM - what a wonderful thing to do. I can't add anything to the great advice given above as I have no experience of this however my commonsense tells me that you shouldn't present your house as a 'showhome' because it may appear that a young child wouldn't fit in to it. Clean - yes, mega tidy - no! Give yourself a break and leave the weeds where they are! :D
Old 10-09-2009, 02:11 AM

We adopted our son from the state and I thought the same way - clean house, room for the child (we lived in a three room apartment). When she came for her first of five interviews I had homemade rolls and coffee with my good cups and saucers and napkins, etc., and she was not interested in all that. She wasn't interested in the fact that he wouldn't have a room for himself or that he would have all kinds of clothes (I learned quite fast that little kidlings outgrow clothes and that is why we have garage sales and we knew about recycling 44 years ago). They were interested in not what we could give him materially, but what we could give him emotionally, what we could give him spiritually and that we would love him unconditionally. That was the most important!!!!! When the judge asked us if we could take this child into our home and love him like he was born to us, we said yes. We did, and he graduated from college, is married, we have three grandchildren. It wasn't a separate room, it wasn't good clothes, it was love. I wish you all the very best and God bless. Edie
Old 10-09-2009, 07:13 AM

If during the inspection they find something they want you to change, they will tell you. Some inspectors want to see that there are no dangerous things under the sinks. Gwyn

I have 3 adopted siblings. Adoption is wonderful
Old 10-09-2009, 04:21 PM

:D Good luck ....
Old 10-10-2009, 12:41 AM

I wish for the best possible outcome. Good luck!
Old 10-27-2009, 09:29 PM

I am new to this forum...just joined today..but we went through this with our son. We were his foster parents from birth. Being a foster parent can be both very rewarding and very challenging. Until the day the judge declares the child yours, nothing is absolute. We were foster parents for a few years before Adrian came to us. As far as the caseworker goes, if your house is tidy, enough room for the child, and safety items in place you are good to go. A fire extingisher in the kitchen is a good idea also a lock box for any meds. Obviously all guns/ammo need to be locked up in seperate places. In the end, it was all worth it as my son is now a bright, hyper, and happy 5yr old. I know this post is late in coming, but I hope everything worked out for you. I know of a great message board for foster and adoptive parents. If interested, let me know and I'll give you the site address.

Cathy - mom to Adrian 5yrs old
Old 10-28-2009, 05:45 AM
Power Poster

The judge will know the child will have no other place to go except foster care if not with you so don't fret about not being approved. As long as you can provide a loving and decent home environment that's all the judges want to know and that's all the state will be looking for too.