Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Help! Cat(s) keeps urinating on bed >

Help! Cat(s) keeps urinating on bed

Help! Cat(s) keeps urinating on bed

Old 02-05-2011, 06:28 PM

I suspect he has a UTI and a series of antibiotics should take care of the problem.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:30 PM

I would have the male checked for kidney problems, then I would have them both neutered. Otherwise it will never stop. Soak the entire area that has urine on it with vinegar, let it air dry, repeat before washing, that should take all the odor out and neutralize the area. Good luck
Old 02-05-2011, 08:15 PM

Take them both to the vet and insist on exploring this in depth. One of them is trying to tell you something, and it's not, "I have decided to become an evil, unloveable kitty."

My best buddy cat developed diabetes without my realizing it. He tried his best to get to the litter box, but with the amount of liquid that was gushing through him he also ended up peeing his brains out in other places in the house before I picked up on the clues -- like HUGE clumps in the clumping litter. An easygoing cat can be managed with diabetes. Unfortunately Spook wasn't one of those and I decided he had to be put down immediately. I might have gotten the first insulin shot into him, but my arms would have been tattered shred if I tried a second.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:34 PM

two days in a row my cat has come up next to me, sat down and pooped right next to me>>>>>>> i went nuts each time. If you have or can borrow a crate, keep him/her in it for at least two weeks with the cat box in there. I dont know wen jinx may get out as this is not the first time. We have only been here a little over a year now, gave her a break when we first got here. she might go to cat heaven if she doesnt act right soon. as for the quilt use white vinagar to wash them, 1/2 cup or so along with soap. should take out the smell. it will also take out stains in fabrics.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:42 PM

I would agree with the others. If a cat stops using the litter box they are trying to tell you something. Need to see a vet ASAP.

If the vet doesn't find a problem right now - one of mine had cancer and they couldn't find it for a long time. Anyway - one of mine now has a behavior issue and Prozac a $4 script from Wal-Mart works wonders. One 1/4 to 1/2 pill a day keeps him right.

Also does the quilt have wool? I had a feather duvet once. It went to the dumpster. Strange smells will set them off as well.

I had a vet tell me once that no self respecting cat can walk past a basket of laundry. Well, we just learned to adjust to things so it wouldn't set them off.

I do find that a Feliway plug in also helps - Amazon.com has the best price on those.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:53 PM

what part of "NE Maine are you from? I'm originally from Portland.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:54 PM

that sounds like a sick cat to me. My male cat once had a similar problem and while my husband and I were trying to figure out what was going on, he almost died from a UTI. After the vet visit and the cats stay at the vet for almost a week, when we brought him home it never happened again. that poor cat must be in misery. Take him to the vet. i have seven indoor cats, and any of my cats that starts acting strange, its a trip to the vet. Unfortunately, our animals cannot tell us when something is wrong, they just try to show us.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:03 PM

We used to have a male cat that would spray even after he was neutered. We had to give him 1/4 of a Valium tablet in his food every day! (Yes, it worked!)
Old 02-05-2011, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
Sounds like UTI in the male. Get him to the vet pronto!
I agree...maybe even a diabetic problem...or pancreatitis.
I had a male kitty who suddenly developed a problem, which led me to take a trip to the vet, where they diagnoses diabetes. On the day he was to come home I went to get him only to find the vet and his assistants running around crazy ... only to later tell me that they had given him his morning insulin then found him in Insulin shock....turns out he didn't have diabetes after all...pancreatitis which resolved. They gave him glucose IV and he was a good as new in seconds!

Have yours checked...even with the snow ...
Old 02-05-2011, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by kathome
I had the EXACT same problem. It was a urinary tract infection which is far more prevalent in males. Get him to the vet.

As for the odor, the best product I've every found and used is "Nature's Miracle". It's available in my local Pet Smart, but thankfully I haven't had to use it in years.
I agree. I use Nature's Miracle for all pet mishaps. Take them to the vets for a check-up and clean the area to get rid of any possible residual smell.

Good luck.