Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Help! Cat(s) keeps urinating on bed >

Help! Cat(s) keeps urinating on bed

Help! Cat(s) keeps urinating on bed

Old 02-05-2011, 09:58 PM

If your cat is not neutered he is marking his territory. Please get him neutered ASAP! Neutered or not he may have a urinary tract infection which can quickly become fatal. I have one boy who used to get urinary tract infections frequently (almost lost him :cry: ). Now he drinks distilled water and only eats Special Kitty Urinary Tract Health dry food. No problems in a very long time. Good luck with a solution.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:43 AM

iT could be several things. First, have him checked for a urinary tract infection. If he's not neutered, have that done also. Have your female spayed as well, it will keep them from getting reproductive cancers that are difficult to treat. Make sure each have their own litter boxes as well. Has anything changed in your house? Addition of another person or pet? Changes in your schedule? I would bet it's probably the female going into heat if she's not spayed but the fiorst thing I would do is get his urine checked for infection. Cats can be very sensitive to changes in routine and he may be expressing his displeasure with that change. Nature's Miracle is the best product for eliminating odor but I fear you may have to get new bedding.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:28 AM

Think cystitis. The cat may have kidney stones also. We had one cat we eventually had to put down due to this because she constantly urinated on furniture and they couldn't cure her of the stones. Once we realized that she must be in constant agony and the "peeing" was her only way to tell us. 00.Try behavioral things (check online feline sites for ideas) and neutralize the odor on the furniture, keep the bedroom door closed.
Good luck
Old 02-06-2011, 12:48 PM

I'll see if I can get them to the vet and see if there's something serious going on. But I find it a bit strange that I'll find a stain only when I come home from work. I had forgot to shut the bedroom door yesterday when I went to a funeral and I was gone for a couple hours...the bedding was still clean when I came back. And they didn't go later on that night when I was at home, but playing video games with my brother in his room for a few hours. Kind of makes me wonder if there's really something serious going on or if they're trying to tell me "I am SO displeased with you! Take that!"
Old 02-06-2011, 07:17 PM

My cat was already on prozac, and was still peeing on my baby's stuff, so doesn't always work, it is a good behavioral drug for cats though, it helped my cat with some of her other behaviors
Old 02-06-2011, 08:28 PM

I know exactly what you mean, I know jinx just doesnt want to go outside like she would in the summer. Now we have 6 inches of snow and she wont go out, but that doesnt exuse her from the litter box, im sorry. put her in the crate and she is sleeping in the litter box, tearing up the newspaper. but the urine thing might be a good idea to rule anything out. take a sample with you.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:54 AM

Have you changed the brand of the litter that you are using?
I had a cat that urinated on a rug because I changed brands.Of course I changed back and she stopped.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:17 PM

aren't cats just the querkyest animals? I have never used litter, only paper-- change cat box everyday. it's work but there is no smell of anything, and they don't dump it on the floor.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:49 PM

I third the disease rule-outs. My buddy, Beau, a handsome tuxedo cat jumped up on the couch and let fly. The funny thing was the cat sitter had accused the *other* cat of doing it. Because we were gone, etc, we thought it would be acting out...but he was a diabetic and couldn't control himself.

He began to travel with us in our VW camper and got insulin shots 2 x a day. If we had not been with him all the time, he would not have lived as long as he did as he was a so-called brittle diabetic. He would suddenly have his pancreas kick in, for example. He lived a good long life for another 4 or 5 years. He was such a chow hound we waited till he began eating and could shoot him up. My dh got really great at it.

But we have also had a bunch of cats with urinary tract infections, it's really common esp. in male cats. Please do see about fixing them if they have not been, it may be a contributing factor. Also, have you changed your litter, cat food, water source? I have seen a recommendation for one more litter box then cats, but there was no way we could do that!

Good luck with your kitties, I know how hard it can be with problems with them. The vet recommended Feliway, but FON, and 75% water/25% vinegar have also worked. The key is to make sure the smell is gone.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by greenini
The vet recommended Feliway, but FON, and 75% water/25% vinegar have also worked.
Yes, UTI is likely (and you've gotten great advise on that). . . but very possible it could be stress. Either way, you need to make some changes before it becomes a habit. I recommend changing your litter to "Cat Attract" for several months before gradually going back to your regular litter. It is chemically treated to entice cats to urinate in it. I also recommend Feliway pheromones. They now come in a few different products from 600 sq ft diffusers, aerosol sprays, and recently collars. These pheromones mimic those released when a sweet/loving cat rubs its cheeks/whiskers and provide a sense of acceptance/love.
In the quote above, I think there was a misunderstanding as Feliway does not remove pet odors. Once the stained area has been treated with enzymatic cleaners (to break down the proteins in urine) the Feliway is recommended to be sprayed on the offended area to retrain the cat to smell the cheek pheromone odors and want to rub it’s face on the area, not spray his urine.
I will PM you with additional information.