Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
high efficiency top load washing machines....and quilts >

high efficiency top load washing machines....and quilts

high efficiency top load washing machines....and quilts

Old 06-20-2012, 05:29 AM

I'm knocking on wood every time i do laundry that my old washer hangs in there.
I have had to replace my stove, fridge and dishwasher and everything is just built so cheaply and so expensive these days. My new dishwashers normal run lasts 2.5 HOURS to wash. the "quick" 1 hour wash doesn't get hot enough to clean the glasses sparkly clean. I hate it. How can something be "energy efficient if its running for 2.5 hours?
My first washing machine I owned lasted me 18 years...now people are replacing front loaders that really have not been on the market more than a handful of years.....but they are making more money....good for them..AKK
Old 06-20-2012, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Steady Stiching View Post
My first washing machine I owned lasted me 18 years...now people are replacing front loaders that really have not been on the market more than a handful of years.....but they are making more money....good for them..AKK
I will say this about the front loaders. Part of the problem is that manufactuers are not making the machines to the same specs as a commercial machine. My father owned coin-op laundries and he talked about this constantly. Also, they have been using front loading washing machines in Europe and other parts of the world for many, many years. I think part of it is the first generation of front loaders they really had not figured out how to scale the mechanics down properly so they took short cuts. My first FL had a tub assembly that was in two pieces joined together. Well, of course, after a certain time, not that long, it began to leak. To replace that part would have been about $2k. The manufacturer would not cover an obvious design flaw. The second one I made sure that assembly was a solid piece. I don't think they make anything for longevity now, which is a shame.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:20 AM

I have enjoyed reading all these comments about washing machines. I got a used Kenmore out of the want ads in 1972 that lasted me 14 years - who knows how old it was when I bought it. Then I got a top of the line Maytag in 1984, and haven't looked back. It's 28 years old now, knock on wood, and I hope I have it til I die, or move to a tiny place where there's not room for such an old monstrosity. I still love that I can do big or little loads, presoak or no, regular or gentle agitation, any temp water. It has all the adjustments I need, and actually more than I use.

That being said, I am green with jealousy at my daughter's new dishwasher. It is the quietest, quickest thing ever. and she can even just wash one shelf, if that's all that needs to be done. ( I love that cause my top shelf always fills up faster than the bottom, with just the two of us that's how it works out.) I especially love the quiet aspect because with open living space, the noise of mine is just too much. Since it just drives me nuts, I usually run it in the middle of the night. Hers is the cats meow!

Last edited by JoyjoyMarie; 06-20-2012 at 08:22 AM. Reason: correct a word
Old 06-20-2012, 02:17 PM

I have a HE top loader from Maytag and I HATE IT A LOT. I begged Lowes to take it back but they were rude and laughed. I have dry spots on my clothes and sheets at the end of the cycles and they are not clean and even still have odors in them-----some time but not all the time. I do have the 2 year warrantee but if the tech comes to your home and does not find anything wrong you have to pay for the visit yourself. It is really a rip off because if you have ever had problems with anything electronic you know that it is very common for the problem to happen on again, off again .
Old 06-20-2012, 06:38 PM

I have a top loader HE that I love. It's very gentle, as it does not have an agitator. Uses less water, but have been pleased with the way it cleans. I haven t had any problems washing quilts.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmom04 View Post
I have a top loader HE that I love. It's very gentle, as it does not have an agitator. Uses less water, but have been pleased with the way it cleans. I haven t had any problems washing quilts.
which one do you have?? thank you!
Old 06-21-2012, 03:28 AM

I was happy to read the replies from those of you on well water and septic tanks. We just added the washer hook-ups to my farm house and this is a new experience for me. I guess until I see it "in action" I will be nervous about using the washing machine using well water and the septic system. The new dishwasher hook up does not scare me since I have read that dishwashers use so much less water vs. handwashing the dishes, which I have been doing up to this point. Ah, lifestyle changes!
sandy
Old 06-21-2012, 07:14 AM

Reply to Sandygirl.....I have a septic system and well water and have not had any problems..... My Maytag top loader large capacity is 15 years old and It got a lot of use with a foamily of 4 children and 2 adults ....Aside from regular clean outs of the septic tank all has run smoothly and never had issues.....I hope all goes smoothly with yours too....Bea
Old 06-21-2012, 10:42 AM

I have a front load HE LG new washer and love it. It has a delicate cycle that I use for quilts and have had no problem at all. It does take longer for the cycle to run but makes up for it in the dryer cause it takes so little time to dry. We also have a septic tank and well water so using less water is definitely a concern for us. I was dubious at first but have been very pleased with the quilts washed in this LG washer. Good luck.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by ladynredd View Post
Thanks Neesie for your recommendation of the LG top-loading high efficiency washer. I have actually pinned it on Pinterest so when my current washing machine dies I will be able to remember what was recommended! I really dislike my current washing machine but it came with the house when we bought it and DH definitely doesn't believe in replacing appliances before they are worn out. He knows I don't like the one we have and is on notice that the new one won't be cheap!
In addition to not being cheap, the new washers have a much shorter life span due to the electronics in them these days. Our sales man said the new washers go about 6-9 years (thats right only 6-9 years). What a bummer! I do like my HE top loading washer though. You just have to follow the directions and despite it looking like there's not enough water the clothes come out as clean as before and I think softer.