Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
House Cleaning - House Work >

House Cleaning - House Work

House Cleaning - House Work

Old 12-01-2017, 05:16 PM
Power Poster

I don't walk out of my bedroom in the morning until bed is made, furniture dusted, floor is dust mopped. I don't leave the bathroom until sink and mirror is wiped, shower is wiped down with towel, toilet bowl swished. DH is up before me so when I leave the bedroom everything is clean. Takes about 15 min. extra after dressing. Same with kitchen. I leave when it's all clean including wiping down front of fridge, oven, dishwasher. I have nothing on my counter tops so it's easy to wipe them clean. Put dishes in dishwasher and clean coffee pot. Sweep floor. Done. About 20 min if food is cooked for breakfast. The living room has a quick dust mop and furniture wipe. Done. I start with a deep cleaning of the rooms then do the upkeep everyday. It's cleaning a clean house, don't wait until it gets dirty. Big cleaning jobs are done one room at a time on a Sat. morning. One room per one Saturday. Takes about 40 min. including the windows in that room. I go to bed with a clean house and wake up to a clean house with not much effort or time involved. A Mennonite woman showed me how to clean and maintain a home when I was first married. She said I needed help when she saw me folding clothes on the sofa. I've never done that since. LOL

Last edited by Onebyone; 12-01-2017 at 05:24 PM.
Old 12-01-2017, 05:58 PM

I do a daily pickup of the house.
Kitchen gets cleaned after meals.
Vacuuming is every other day.
Dusting is done every other day (due to allergies). I use a damp cloth as not to rile up the dust.
Bathrooms are completely cleaned (tub/shower, sinks and toilets) twice a week.
Laundry is twice a week.

I don't consider it a chore to do housework. It's just something I do to keep our home comfortable.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I don't walk out of my bedroom in the morning until bed is made, furniture dusted, floor is dust mopped. I don't leave the bathroom until sink and mirror is wiped, shower is wiped down with towel, toilet bowl swished. DH is up before me so when I leave the bedroom everything is clean. Takes about 15 min. extra after dressing. Same with kitchen. I leave when it's all clean including wiping down front of fridge, oven, dishwasher. I have nothing on my counter tops so it's easy to wipe them clean. Put dishes in dishwasher and clean coffee pot. Sweep floor. Done. About 20 min if food is cooked for breakfast. The living room has a quick dust mop and furniture wipe. Done. I start with a deep cleaning of the rooms then do the upkeep everyday. It's cleaning a clean house, don't wait until it gets dirty. Big cleaning jobs are done one room at a time on a Sat. morning. One room per one Saturday. Takes about 40 min. including the windows in that room. I go to bed with a clean house and wake up to a clean house with not much effort or time involved. A Mennonite woman showed me how to clean and maintain a home when I was first married. She said I needed help when she saw me folding clothes on the sofa. I've never done that since. LOL
I'm impressed. You dust and dustmop your bedroom every day? How dusty does it get in just one day?

And why did the Mennonite lady disapprove of folding clothes on the sofa? Let me guess--it's more efficient to stand and fold/put away at the dresser or wherever the items go?
Old 12-02-2017, 03:48 AM

We just recently sold one of our retail specialty food, bakery and housewares businesses that ran our life for 10 years...my other retail business is a women’s clothing and accessories shop which does not require as much of my time except traveling for apparel shows and I have great ladies who work for me.

Anyway...I now have more free time to quilt (YAY), cook and clean. Since we sold the business in September I have gone through closets and kitchen cabinets....one by one. It feels good to be able to keep up with routine housework such as floors, laundry, bathrooms and dusting) without any stress. And now I have more time to do things I havent’ been had time to do in years...I am in the process of staining and polyurethane steps into my new sewing room built over the garage and I stripped and finished a beautiful desk I picked up at an auction for my sewing room.
Old 12-02-2017, 06:08 AM

Zozee: I'm impressed. You dust and dustmop your bedroom every day? How dusty does it get in just one day? [Quote]

I live in the country on a dirt road. We are one mile away from a main road, but there is a lot of traffic here. Farmers would rather take the dirt road to town than have to drive on the main road with all that traffic. There is always dust. Especially when the wind is from the wrong direction and I would like to open the windows.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:01 AM
Power Poster

I figure God made dust before vacuum cleaners. I may as well admire God's handiwork for a while before removing it.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:04 AM

wow this came up just as I dragged the vac out. I vacced the rug then had to sit down. I don't know why, it makes my back hurt. I did a little dusting too.

Routine chores - dishes and keeping kitchen clean. Everything else falls under the category of only when I can't stand it anymore.

I don't make my bed everyday (or ever) but once I get my quilt done, I will. No sense fancying up the bed if it is just blankets.

Now I really need to dig around in the corner under my laptop desk, and sort out all the wires and get rid of all the dust. Ugh.
Old 12-02-2017, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
wow this came up just as I dragged the vac out. I vacced the rug then had to sit down. I don't know why, it makes my back hurt. I did a little dusting too.

Routine chores - dishes and keeping kitchen clean. Everything else falls under the category of only when I can't stand it anymore.

I don't make my bed everyday (or ever) but once I get my quilt done, I will. No sense fancying up the bed if it is just blankets.

Now I really need to dig around in the corner under my laptop desk, and sort out all the wires and get rid of all the dust. Ugh.
You are my kinda gal!!! There are so many other things to do besides cleaning! I hate it! I would rather be quilting or sewing pillowcases or answering e-mails or ANYTHING! I do keep the kitchen clean but we are such clutterers!! Need to just pitch so much stuff but there is always something else to do.
I clean the bath countertops when I am in there and the toilet when it needs it.
Life is too short for a clean house (unless company is coming!). When I can write my name in the dust, I dust one room...maybe two...
Don't come and visit without a warning, please!!!
Old 12-02-2017, 03:14 PM

sailsablazin- I saw a funny suggestion a while ago- put some get well cards out around your house. In case you have drop in company, they will think you have been sick! HaHa!

Like everything else, I think we all just have different levels of comfort regarding house cleaning. I like to have things clean, especially kitchen and baths but I'm not ridged about it. My dad said to me once that my house had that "lived in" look, lived in by what, I'm not sure. Then he laughed and laughed. He was a character ! That was at the time I had 4 young children and was going to nursing school. Probably the most organized I have ever been in my life, really.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:58 PM
Power Poster

For many years I kept a very clean home I was kinda young. For years I worked and home was still pretty clean I was getting a bit older. Home is still kinda clean, I am now retired, getting even older. I use to clean our home for fun, no fun in it now. Most of the time my house is as clean as most.
I want to make quilts as long as I can and donate to kids in foster care. I feel that is more important than a spotless house.