Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How Did You Meet Your Spouse >

How Did You Meet Your Spouse

How Did You Meet Your Spouse

Old 08-19-2010, 02:17 AM

I met Hubby-To-Be in 7th grade, in junior high school. We actually had gone to elementary school together, but I didn't know him then, because we were a year apart. Going further back, we were even born at the same hospital. :mrgreen:

In junior high, he lived across the street from my parents' business, and we rode the bus together in the afternoons. I had the hots for him since Day #1. :lol:

I wasn't allowed to go on a real date until I was 16, but we went to church together and went to a lot of school activities together until then. We dated all through high school, went to the same college, and 3 weeks after I graduated (my courses took longer than his), we got married. Huge church ceremony with 300+ guests. My parents had tons of friends, and he has a huge family, so there were people there that we didn't really even know! But they all brought gifts! LOL! :lol: I was 20 years old; he was 21.

That was 22 years ago, and we're still on our honeymoon. :mrgreen:

We went together and picked out my engagement ring before he actually proposed. He really didn't need to ask. We both already knew the answer. But he asked anyway. I couldn't say yes fast enough! :-)

No kids, partly by choice and partly by fate (medical problems on my end), but we've got oodles of fur-, fin-, and feather-kids. :wink:

My dad didn't like him at first ... but then again, he didn't like ANY boy who might be "stealing" his daughter. :wink: They're big buddies now, and DH has definitely earned my dad's respect over the years, which isn't something easy to do. My dad's a good man; he's just picky when it comes to his daughters! he he My mom liked him from the very beginning. :-)

He's definitely a keeper. One couldn't ask for a better husband or best friend!

And he fully supports and funds my quilting/crafting "habit"! :thumbup:
Old 08-19-2010, 02:48 AM

During the summer of 1963 my family moved to a small NH town from a large MA city. My sister and I decided to take a break from unpacking and spend the hot day at the State Park beach in the town. There I met a local resident named Karl, who was working at the park for the summer before going back to college. Within a week we began dating, and a year and half later we married and have been married for 46 years. Corny as this sounds, he truly is my best friend, my love... yes my soulmate.
We have two sons and a daughter, two granddaughters and yes, three great grandchildren, one girl and two boys.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:51 AM

I met my hubby in my own home when he came to show mum and dad the sights of perth. (we had only been in australia for a few months) and he worked with my dad. the first words he heard me say was "MUM MY DRESS DOESN'T FIT" she had washed my new dress and it had shrunk I was going to wear it to a ball I had been invited to.
the next day he asked me out a week later he gave me a friendship ring a month later we got engaged and a year later we tied the knot that was nearly 46 years ago.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:24 PM

I met my DH through a personal ad my girlfriend talked me into doing. It started out as kind of a joke, but when I met Ken, it became serious fast. We were married two months later....That was twenty years ago. It is hard to remember life before him. He makes me laugh every day.We are happily growing old together.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:11 AM

My BFF and I went to a lot of country/western dances when we were in high school. She began dating a boy she met, I got stuck with his friend (Justin). We double-dated all summer, then went our separate ways. I thought that was it, but one night I got a phone call from Justin asking me out on a "real" date. We dated for three years, were engaged for three (I wanted to finish college) and we have been married now for sixteen years! He is my best friend and the love of my life!!!
Old 08-20-2010, 09:56 AM

Another Match.com made in heaven match......I was leary about attempting it again, fore I had melt a couple read duds.

But after 5 years I gave it another try. He winked at me, we talked for 2 months online and after the 2nd week online, I allowed him to call me (we would talk upto 4 hours on the phone each night.) We had over 500+ miles between us, so I thought I was pretty safe. Then he went on a snowmobile trip with late wifes' brother's in Montana and decide to (this happened during the week of Valentines - the most beautiful dozen red roses were delivered at daughters house) cut it short and came to South Dakota to meet me in person.

Very much a christian gentleman. Sang in a Country Gospel group in the Turtle Mountains of North Dakota.

The next day he wanted to meet my parents and my oldest daughter, so we drove 180 miles to their houses. A week later we met halfway between each others homes, and he asked me to marry him. Two weeks later, I met his two boys and families. A month later he asked my dad for my hand in marriage. We had planned on waiting a year, but about the end of August, he wanted me in the North Dakota. So we planned a small wedding for Sept 15th at a little country church that he grewup in. This coming September it will be 3 years, but it seems like way more.

He lost his first wife of 28 years (childhood sweethearts) to her 3rd bout of Cancer in 2006, I lost my husband in 1994. And if his wife could of chose anyone for him, I was told it "would of been me". When you fill out the online questions, we matched on everyone of them. He makes my heart melt when he looks at me and he takes my breath away. I have 3 grown children with 5 grandbabies and one on the way this November 2010. He has 2 grown sons with one granddaughter.

And he knew I quilted and did sewing all the time. When he came to visit the first time, I had made him a plaid flannel western shirt. He was floored.......course after that I had to promise to make him one a month (just a few behind). But he understands, cause I have to keep up with all the sewing I do for 6 grandchildren (5 adopted him as grandpa right away). His granddaughter got the first grandchild full bed quilt I made, other then babyquilts that I had done for my own.

Just two people meant to have a 2nd chance at love...........and the story goes on.

Wedding picture Sept. 15 2007
[ATTACH=CONFIG]100326[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-100321.jpe  
Old 08-20-2010, 10:15 AM

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

My sister introduced us at a local pancake breakfast. I looked at him and just knew. However, we were both married to other people at the time. Both really bad marriages. But, both of us were committed to making our respective marriages work. I was living in a different state at the time, just visiting my sister for a weekend. Went back home and proceeded along with my life and my marriage, raising my son. 18 months later my husband at the time lost yet another job due to his drinking, etc. and we moved to California where my sister had found him a job closer to her. One day my son, 4 at the time, saw his dad push me down and try to choke me and I realized that I couldn't let him grow up thinking that this was okay. It took me several months to save enough to move out and start my divorce,but move I did. About two weeks before my divorce was final, my sister told me that Karl's (my current and last husband) wife had left him for her high school boyfriend for the second time. I ran into him a few weeks later and I asked him out for lunch. We've been married 19 and a half years, raised his kids, my son and now have a 13 year old daughter of our own...He is my best friend and I am so blessed to have such a wonderful marriage.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:41 AM

DH was my neighbor's boyfriend. She ask him to take me to dinner bc I was newly divorced. The rest is history. We've been married 40 years
Old 08-20-2010, 11:13 AM

He was my boss and it was Christmas and the group decided we
were elected to go out and buy the big boss's gift. We did and walked around Georgetown in the snow for hours window shopping. When we got back to the car he didn't propose he just said "I am going to marry you!" A week later he gave me an engagement ring and a year later we were married and that was 43 years ago.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:18 PM

Mutual friend told each of us about the other. I gave friend my # to give to my huby and he called. Talked for two weeks off and on and then went out on a blind date. Ask me to marry him two months later, married two months after that. Married for 13 years next month.