Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How do you take it?

I've not had that problem.............yet. And if there is mmmm, a lack of response or enthusiasm. It's theirs to do with as they wish. However, in saying that, I would have a very hard time ever making another one for same person(s) if I saw it being used like a dust/dish rag or a pet bed, unless that is asked for specifically. It takes little (even if you are not an admirer of quilts) to try and at least be gracious and express thanks for a handmade gift of any kind. Bad manners is not acceptable in my world.

I have been hurt a few times, but mostly I give to people that I know will love what I have done, Hubby, sister, brother-in-law.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
    And some people just don't like or want a quilt. I quilt for my own pleasure primarily. I might make a baby quilt if I want to and have an indication that it will be appreciated.
    If someone doesn't like/appreciate my gift I just "let it go". I must confess, if someone gives me a gift that I don't like I just smile and say thanks. I donate the item. How bad is that?

Quote Originally Posted by yngldy View Post
    Amazing the girl turned out so gracious, in spite of Mom and Grandma!

I made a quilt for my niece, found a panel, they did not have all the coordinating fabric, so off to two or three other stores, some 30 miles away, to get "perfect" fabric. Spent about $200 on project. Asked sister if niece's baby uses quilt. "Yes, she uses it every time he takes a bath." She thought it was a bath mat, maybe because it had minky on the back?? Then I started getting online pictures, and there it was, on the floor, under his snack table, protecting the carpet. I am VERY selective of who gets my quilts now. They might not be perfect creations, but my time (and feelings) are worth something.
    hmm..at least she is using it. And likely washing it too. I don't see a problem with this. I would bet the pics are pretty!

Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Quote Originally Posted by crafty pat View Post
    I never make a quilt for anyone who has not ask for one or said they would love to have one.
    Good response! We all have friends whom we know will not appreciate or even like quilts. Not a crime. We all have our favs. I gave a table runner to a good friend who I know wanted it. Our mutual bestie told me that she did not want one so don't give her one. All 3 of us just giggled and I replied..."no problem". She likes her home spoless and zero clutter. I tease her that her house is "on the market" ready when she wants to sell it...just put the sign out! Lol!

Ironically, that friend and her husband have won TWO quilts in the last couple of years at their church fundraiser and they don't know what to do with them. I suggested that they re donate them back for the next raffle. They should have just told them to draw the next name. Yes,the quilts are in the closet.m

sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

I know back in the day when everyone was doing ceramics (the hand painted, precast kind) I lived in fear that someone would give me one as a gift. I found them uniformly horrible. So I don't give quilts to anyone I don't think would appreciate them.

I made one for MIL and FIL, they picked out the colors to go with their bedroom. A few years later, they changed the colors and gave away the quilt. However, they gave it to my sister-in-law, who LOVES it and cherishes it.

So far...mine has been received with much happiness except a couple who for for reason loves crochets afghans. I've only seen one thrown in closet and that one was recently. Oh well, can't win them all !
    take plenty of pic of family & friends, keep tabs on loved ones but make time for yourself !

First of all, no one will ever get a king-size quilt from me. Mug rugs, yes, king anything no. I make recycled sweater mittens and every recipient loves them because they all live in cold climates. I knit socks for my niece, DIL, and sister. They all appreciate them. I have only one friend that I wouldn't make a thing for. She gets a coffee card from her favorite shop because she's there all the time. Done.

I no longer quilt for several family members because they never say thank you. They don't take care of the quilts when I make them. I have made baby quilts for many of the new moms at church and rarely get a thank you. Later it got back to me how thrilled several were at my gift. Thrilled but not even a verbal thanks does not cut it with me. I'm old fashioned and this is one of my pet peeves. Bottom line for me is I no longer take the time or spend the money unless it is for someone who appreciates it. This attitude sounds cranky but I was raised to be polite and taught my kids the same. Thankfully most of the grands are the same.

Blog Entries
    I make a king size and machine quilted it on my Designer 1 for son & DIL. Never again I might say..........but I don't know what happened to it. It's been more than 16 years. Perhaps the dog chewed a hole in it? But my DIL is a matching kind of girl and she had changed her colors. I've not asked as it was there's and not my business. However the twin size TV quilt I made for my son recovering from surgery is still visable in the family room. calla oh, for my sewing buddies we make items for each other...........we share the same seam.................

Blog Entries
    I made a king size and machine quilted it on my Designer 1 for son & DIL. Never again I might say..........but I don't know what happened to it. It's been more than 16 years. Perhaps the dog chewed a hole in it? But my DIL is a matching kind of girl and she had changed her colors. I've not asked as it was there's and not my business. However the twin size TV quilt I made for my son recovering from surgery is still visable in the family room. calla oh, for my sewing buddies we make items for each other...........we share the same seam.................

I made a lap quilt for my wife's best friend and gave it to her when they were here for a visit. Her attitude about receiving it and the somewhat rude comment she made about my having given them quilts before made me take her name off my "quilt list." There are many, many others -- cousins, nieces, nephews, grandsons -- who keep asking for quilts from me. I just moved their names up on my mental list. Believe me, it's not difficult to figure out who is appreciative and who is not.
    Sometimes I try to act "normal," but it gets boring so I just go back to being myself.

A simple "Thank you" goes a long way with me. It isn't in some peoples vocabulary so they are never on my list anymore. That is a huge pet peeve of mine. I try not to let it bother me so much but that is how I was raised & it is hard to change. Also I don't want to change! It is not hard at all to say "Thank you" as I told the girl in the grocery store the other day. That's a whole different post! lol

Blog Entries
    I gave my sister in law a quilt for her second born. he's 8 1/2 now. never saw it once, when I was there or they came here. a big disappointment.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Since many family members to some type of crafts, we appreciate each other's work. I always figure baby quilts will be used--as a play mat, on the floor, etc--and will have plenty of "body fluids" so frequent washing. And all my kids have snuggle quilts for watching tv, etc which also get hard use. But that is what they were made for. I have to laugh--I made a t-shirt quilt for niece when she graduated HS and off to college. She sent a picture of new dorm room--the quilt was hanging on the wall and she had a "plain jane" bedspread! I was at first a little hurt by her not using the t-shirt quilt on her bed!

I made a churn dash quilt out of old shirts for my son. I loved that quilt. I was a little hurt when I visited and he opened up the trunk of his car to get something out, and there is was! He and his girlfriend (now wife) were using it as a picnic quilt. I got over it tho, and figure if that is how they enjoy it, no harm in that.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

When the first Wizard of Oz fabrics came out I made a quilt from the free pattern & had it quilted. My mother in law saw it when I was putting the binding on & flipped. Just loved the movie & the quilt was wonderful. Other things she has seen just got 'Oh that's nice'. Since she is difficult to buy for I wrapped it & gave it to her for Mother's Day. She seemed excited but no one has seen it since. That was 7 yrs. ago. Have not & will not make anything for her again. Told my DH that when she passes I want that quilt back. That is the only thing I want from her.

Most people will tell me what they want in a "gift" quilt, and when they do, they go to the bottom of my list. What part of "gift" do people not understand? There is a lot of money that goes into making a quilt, and when I gift one, my hope is that it will be used, and loved, and loved and used. Washed and dried and done again and again. The ones that go into a closet are the ones that break b\my heart. If I gift it and they use it till it needs replaced, I will gladly try to fit that one into my latest list of projects

Blog Entries
    I try making one for whichever family member. If it is not appreciated or acknowledged I don't bother with any others. I made a wedding quilt for my GS - my husband gave it to them while I was in another room - GS thanked me and his wife never said a word one way or the other. What my DH was thinking of I haven't figured out yet. There is a GGS in the works now and I am making self binding receiving blankets. IF I make a baby quilt, it will be for my own satisfaction as obviously the mother could not care less about "home made" (I prefer crafted) quilts. Discouraging.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by annette1952 View Post
    A simple "Thank you" goes a long way with me. It isn't in some peoples vocabulary so they are never on my list anymore. That is a huge pet peeve of mine. I try not to let it bother me so much but that is how I was raised & it is hard to change. Also I don't want to change! It is not hard at all to say "Thank you" as I told the girl in the grocery store the other day. That's a whole different post! lol
    does seem like fewer people say thank you any more--my DIL almost never says thank you and when she did recently when my DH helped them with some expenses, she texted 3 thank yous to him--he saved the texts since they are so rare from her!

Blog Entries
    I have made quilts where they are used and washed with love. I don't think people in general in UK understand the time and effort and cost.
    i have made quilts or bags for quilters. They have asked me to make these items. As the quilt they buy the pattern ( if needed) and fabric. I sew and quilt. Just made a quilt for a friend's father. Rang with thanks as soon as they received it. They are delighted.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2