Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How I briefly lost 100 IQ points. >

How I briefly lost 100 IQ points.

How I briefly lost 100 IQ points.

Old 09-09-2012, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Nanamoms View Post
I don't even watch the BIG 3 channels. Nothing there to see (JMHO). I love my Criminal Minds, NCIS and Storage Wars over on A&E and USA. I will also watch certain shows on TLC and TNT. Today, A&E had a Criminal Minds marathon and I only did things during commercials!!! LOL
I wish Criminal Minds had a marathon every day. I would watch every episode again and again. i watch it in my sewing room also. Love Storage Wars and NCIS as well. A&E rocks !!!
Old 09-09-2012, 04:58 PM

We now get only one quilting show a week on TV. So I watch cooking, gardening, remodeling houses. The rest is garbage and a darn poor quality garbage at that! Hate the "family shows" where people are screaming at each other. Will our kids grow up to think that is the way people should live?? I don't care much for sports but my husband enjoys football and the pawn shop shows. I enjoy my Kindle more and more! At least you can learn something.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by AllAboutScraps View Post
It is so refreshing to hear other people who have the same opinion of "reality" TV as I do. I know people I've always considered intelligent who watch that drivel......they tell me it is hilarious to watch what people will do for ratings......I think it is just sad that it takes that kind of trash to get people to laugh these days.

Give me a plot line and some people that can act and make a character believable....love Gibbs!
Well these days........potty humor and sex sells.

I can't stand to even watch Larry the Cable guy. Those reality shows are scripted, like that Hardcore Pawn, Lizard Lick Towing and Operation Repo....Never in my life have I seen so much crap go on in one place........lol And the "f" word flows like water on most of these shows too.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:22 AM

My husband and I like to watch the old series shows like Bonanza or The Virginian, The Waltons etc. I loved those type of shows because there always seemed to be a moral lesson included. I miss that and don't watch any of the sit-coms. They seem to make me want to punch somebody instead of being nice. I so dislike things that insult your intelligence.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
It is sad that what used to be good channels, like History, TLC, and Discovery, have all jumped on the "reality" bandwagon.
You said a mouthful......AMC has become the gross series channel, I used to depend on it for good ol' entertaining films. National Geographic likes to debunk religion and the Bible, and how in the name of common sense did something so inane as "Ghost Hunters" get on the air on a supposed-to-be quality channel. One used to be able to depend on Animal Planet for instructional programs, even the hard to watch rescue shows had something to teach. Now we see 'River Monsters' and catfish noodlers etc. Style has lost it.

Thank goodness my DS hooked my computer to the tv and I can get instant Netflix, Amazon, etc. that way. If I watch Pride and Prejudice or the complete run of Upstairs, Downstairs or every Katherine Hepburn movie ever made over and over I will never have to watch Snooki, Baby Boo Boo, the Kardashians, anything with a title that includes "the real....", Dog the Bounty Hunter or Jerry Springer. (Turner Classic Movies is pretty good, if you can get it.)
Old 09-10-2012, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
I think I have fully recovered. I went and bought me an ice cream.

I usually don't watch that type of show. But as they say curiosity lower the cat's IQ. Anyways, I prefer old B/W gangster movies, anything with Tommy Lee Jones or Sam Elliot and Fox News.
We make time to watch Sons of Anarchy, I can't wait until Tuesday evening. I am going to have to order the first two seasons of Boardwalk Empire. I missed most of last season.

I am going to work on a laptop bag this weekend, since our new one arrived today.
How amped are you that Sons starts tomorrow? I've already got my Tivo set (just in case I get crazy & time gets away from me)! Now, is this the final season or next year? I know it's a closed end deal.

Sam Elliot was always my mom's Hollywood BF... LOL! I loved him in "Mask" (I just loved "Mask" period). Also in "Tombstone" (my very favroite movie of all time)!!!
Old 09-10-2012, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by LynnVT View Post
Has anyone seen "Honey-Boo-Boo" on TLC? It used to mean "The Learning Channel" but these days it's more like the loser's channel, and I don't mean the good kind of loosing, like losing weight!
I'd heard of her & saw a little clip of her show someplace the other day. What in the world is that mess about? Is that for real??? I agree... TLC used to have good, enriching things & now? Ditto Discovery. I suppose the Science & History channels will be next down the rabbit hole. *Sigh*
Old 09-10-2012, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by joyce j View Post
Tv really stinks. dont care for much of what they have on. And when ypu find something you like they take it off ,for some junk. joyce j
My DH & I joke that we don't dare like a show because as soon as we do, they take it off the air & put another pawn shop show or more clueless teenagers or some such nonsense. What happened to nice dramas on TV? It's all competition shows or some hot mess like that.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
I'd heard of her & saw a little clip of her show someplace the other day. What in the world is that mess about? Is that for real??? I agree... TLC used to have good, enriching things & now? Ditto Discovery. I suppose the Science & History channels will be next down the rabbit hole. *Sigh*
I think History channel is already down - they seem to have loggers, antiques, pickers, pawn shops. DH misses the real history shows, although I used to tell him, it would take you longer to watch all the programs about WW2 than the actual war took. I believe they have moved all the real history programs to History International.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:42 PM

I agree with all of you. My husband likes sports so he can manage most of the time. I sit here, beside him and in front of the TV, checking out the quilting board and watching Youtube,ect. We don't have internet speed fast enough to have NetFlix. That's what we would love to have, but we live to far out in the country. So thank goodness for the computer and kindle. And thank goodness for the QB.