Hurricane Sandy anyone?

Old 10-27-2012, 03:24 PM

We also have big tall trees in our back yard. We had a few removed a few years ago but there are some tall ones that are top heavy so those are the ones I worry about when it is very windy out. We just had a new roof put on our house last month. I'd hate to think of any damage after just paying for that!! I keep reminding myself that God is in control no matter what.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:06 PM

Prayers being said for all who might be affected....be safe everybody, and check back in here when you can. Let us know what actually happened where you are. There my be some "hype" to this storm but it can easily get really bad too. Just hang in there are let us hear from you.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:47 PM

I too am in the path of the storm in NE Pa. Hope I have things ready but if the power goes out it could be a long week depending on how long it goes on. I am not in a flood zone so only have to worry about wind etc. We do have a gas fireplace in the house so we can be warm and I stocked up on water and food that doesnt need to be cooked. Our kids live close by so if we need anything.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:16 AM

Such good suggestions...and be sure to get everything outside secured so it can blow away or be launched into the air by the winds. I hope you'll evacuate if you're told to do that. Right now the Weather Channel is saying the storm surge will be severe on the north side of Long Island. Stay safe, friends!
Old 10-28-2012, 04:39 AM

My daughter and family are down in Gloucester on the MIDDLE peninsula. I haven't heard from them this morning,as yet. They are still cleaning up from "ISABEL".
Wishing you well and a safe time for the next three days.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:07 AM

I live in Norfolk Va and I came into work this morning it was barely sprinkling and that was the way it was all night. It's now 9am and since then the wind and rain has picked up. My boss just called and said that since I have to work tomorrow that I have to stay the night here and the night person who normally comes in at 7 has to come in around 1pm. That's when they are expecting for the storm to pick up here. I work in the IT department at a hospital and we have to 24/7 coverage in our section. The rest of IS only has to have thier on-call person spend the night in case they are needed on site. Normally they can remote in and do it all from home but just in case they are needed they have to stay here. I brought my blankets with me and plan on sleeping in my car rather than a room setup with lots of cots and people coming in and out. I'm a light sleeper and will wake at anything. Plus I have a bad back and it'll act up in the cot or the car but in the car I can turn on the heated seats and have an instant heating pad. Car sounds so much better. Now I just have to run home this morning to pick up a few movies to watch in the car or on my laptop. I hope I can get my kids to stay at my house so that my dogs aren't home alone. I wish everyone else in the path good luck and stay safe. It's so not worth taking chances with the weather.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by nygal View Post
This huge storm is heading up the East Coast. This is scary. I am in Eastern New York and they are saying it is the first time they have seen a hurricane in the middle of a Nor'East'r. I don't know what to expect but they are saying we may get lots of snow, strong winds and they expect millions to lose power. It could even effect us not being able to vote if the power is out for weeks. I am praying everyone along the coast will be fine.

Any other East Coasters here?
We all need to take precautions and be prepared. It was just 1 year ago with Hurricane Irene that hubby and I lost both of our vehicles and all the electronics in our home due to that storm.
This is going to be worse they say so we have taken all precautions that we can possibly take so wish us luck.
I will be praying for everyone on the East Coast during this storm.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:27 AM

don;t worry about voting those machines a
can run on battery for 24 hrs they will make sure you can get out to vote.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:55 AM

I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. We are just waiting for the storm, I think the waiting is the hardest part. I hope that we have ourselves as ready as possible. With Irene, last August, we lost two big trees and power for several days.
Being from the midwest, this is all new to me.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:31 AM

We have been hearing on the news here in Australia about this huge slow moving front heading towards the East Coast of the US. Safe stay and take care.