Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I got a new stand mixer today. >

I got a new stand mixer today.

I got a new stand mixer today.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:57 PM

I have a soon to be 33 year-old Sunbeam MixMaster stand mixer that was a wedding gift. It has been a real work-horse but truly does not have the 'power' it used to have. I do intend to replace it with a Kitchen-Aid stand mixer one of these days. It certainly is not a 'must-have'...just a want so I have no time frame for replacing it. I imagine I will do it just one day when I have some extra cash. I am the same way with my other small appliances...as they get older and I decide I want something newer/different, I replace them. Now...were my microwave (built in over my stove) to quit working, I would be going out the very next day to replace it....it is the one appliance that gets alot of use at our house!
Old 03-15-2012, 05:39 PM
Power Poster

It depends, I have bought bigger toasters, holds more or for bagels. I pass on the older ones to whomever. We only use handmixers, no room for a stand up, most times I just beat by hand.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:55 PM

My blender was a shower gift for my first wedding ... in 1983. My late husband melted the lid a little on one edge so when you use it you have to put your hand over that spot to keep whatever from splashing out.

I still have this blender.

So I guess my answer to your question is ... I rarely replace small appliances
(I also rarely USE them!)
Old 03-15-2012, 06:01 PM

I wait until they are broke to replace. I have an old Kitchen Aid one of the early ones, that I got from a neighbor over 10 years ago, she got it from a yard sale. I expect it is 30 years old or more. I have a hand mixer that I got in 1985 when I got married for the first time. I have got rid of two husbands but still have that mixer. My toaster is about that old as well.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:11 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Im a wait till its broke kinda gal.. OR if it is deemed too ugly to have out when guest come over then it gets replaced. but if its a ok to be hidden it stays.. But I like my older stuff- last longer then the new plastic stuff.. Ive got 3 mixers- Dont ask- I have no idea.. Its great when im making lots of things that i need to mix at the same time..
Old 03-15-2012, 06:17 PM

I have a food processor I got in 1988 or 1989. I am dreading the day it stops working! Parts are no longer available and the new ones just don't have the power this one does. I do have a Kitchen Aid mixer my DH gave me for Christmas about 3 years ago, but I gave my cobalt blue big KA mixer to my DD and we use both of them during holiday baking. It certainly cuts down on the mixing time to have two of them running.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:57 AM

I believe in having the right tools for the job, so there are times when I buy a better version of something I already have to make my work easier. For example, I had a smaller Kitchenaid mixer and replaced it with a Viking mixer. There was nothing wrong with the Kitchenaid, so I sold it.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:50 AM
Power Poster

I keep some and get rid of some. Just redid kitchen with new cabinets, etc. Upgraded to new micro and dishwasher. THEN daughter's fridge went which gave me an excuse to buy a gently used one from a friend who just had to have stainless steel. Small appliances that I love have been around forever...handichopper is close to 25 years old. Fry Daddy getting up there too.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:36 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

I love my stand Mixer .. Really wish I would of had it when I was younger sure would of helped with all the cakes, breads, cookies I used to make for the family meals !
Old 03-16-2012, 07:56 AM

I used to upgrade when there was a sale or a whimsy, but now I wait until things are broken and cannot be repaired or repairs are cost-prohibitive compared to buying new. Nice to know you sent the old but still usable one to a charity and not just tossed it out. Congrats on your deal, that IS a great price for a Kitchen Aid stand mixer! I would love to have one but as yet have not been able to justify the cost - pretty sure if I DID have one, I'd be baking more which would spell disaster for my waistline!