Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • I got a new stand mixer today. >
  • I got a new stand mixer today.

• I got a new stand mixer today.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:08 AM

I keep mine until they die. My kitchen tools are all in working order at this time, so nothing new for now. I try to keep everything clean and in working order because I hate to go to use something while I am cooking and find it either broken, misplaced or dirty.
    Old 03-16-2012, 12:06 PM

The stand mixer I bought a few years ago replaced one that was 30 years old. I almost didn't want to replace it as the motor sitll worked. But the only tway o put on or shut off was to plug in or out which could be tricky sometimes. The old one was a Sunbeam so that's what I looked for in the new. I've gotten used to the new and like it BUT - they make everything so big today - heavier, takes up more room and they seemed to make things more involved. Before you could just lift the mixer head to get the beaters out of the bowl - this mixer, you need to press a button to lift or lower the head.
    However, I replaced the toaster/oven because it was looking ugly(scratches, etc) not because of anything wrong.
    Old 03-16-2012, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
    I keep an appliance til it breaks. I usually have a spare somewhere that I got for free.

I wish I had a stand mixer and the counter space to keep it. I have fond memories of my mom's and the great cakes she used to make. Old black and white Mixmaster.

So Bellaboo, what did you do with your old but still working mixer? Not throw it out, I hope!
    My Mom had one of those old black & white stand mixers. I want to get one but boy the dollars.
    Old 03-16-2012, 02:35 PM

I'm a 'Last Legs'-er. I might start looking whilst it is still hanging in there, but I won't buy until it is kaput.

My food processor is somewhere around 20 years old and now only does one function (chopping - no slicing, grating, etc.) but I have no plans to replace it any time soon!
    Old 03-16-2012, 03:11 PM

I tend to hold onto appliances until they give up the ghost. I try to take care of them and they seem to last. Recently had to replace small hand mixer - (the motor burned up). Didn't realize how bad my old one was, when I started the new mixer, had batter all over. The low speed is way fast!!
    Old 03-16-2012, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    My finances don't allow me the luxury of replacing anything unless I have to.
    I have to agree with Sadiemae. Money is too tight to replace anything that still works.
    Old 03-16-2012, 05:50 PM

I love my KitchenAid mixer. I sometimes replace appliances before they need it. Sort of a treat for myself.
    Old 03-16-2012, 08:00 PM

I am guilty! I do replace whatever when I think it needs it. We move to this house and the fridge was old but good, so we ordered a new one and it broke within 2 weeks, good thing we put the old one in the garage. meanwhile they fixed the new one, it quit again, went back to using the old one. So then we ordered a fridge from a diffrent company after returning the new broke one. they lost it! can you believe that? still using the old one, finally had a fridge coming and they took it off the truck and it was dented and scratched, back on the truck, still using the old one. Finally got one that works, still kepted the old one for pop, water, etc. Another example, my artisian kitchenaid leaked oil after 5 yrs, and now it is broke, so mad because it should have lasted longer, I bought a sunbeam stand mixer. I don't like it so now I am buying a new kitchenaid mixer this weekend afterall! Grr. the new stuff they don't make they used to!
    Old 03-16-2012, 08:13 PM

Ok, who remembers S & H green stamps? My mixer was bought with 3 books of those stamps in 1971! Yeah, I'm old and so is my mixer!

Last edited by NancyBelly; 03-16-2012 at 08:16 PM.
    Old 03-16-2012, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by NancyBelly
    Ok, who remembers S & H green stamps? My mixer was bought with 3 books of those stamps in 1971! Yeah, I'm old and so is my mixer!
    Yes, I remember them very well. Hold on to your old mixer, they don't make it like they use too!