Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
IF YOU COULD HAVE ONE DO-OVER >

IF YOU COULD HAVE ONE DO-OVER

IF YOU COULD HAVE ONE DO-OVER

Old 10-09-2011, 03:25 AM

I wouldn't have married my HS sweetheart at age 18. I would have waited awhile, gotten my college degree and put off having my kids a bit....and I'd be ready to retire this year instead of 11 years from now.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by charismah
A do over....

So many things have shaped who I am??? I always say the hard things I go through in life are growing pains.
I don't know that I would change anything....I had a horrible childhood that I am still sorting out sometimes.....I am overweight (fat) I should have taken better care of myself (emotional eater)...I married my high school sweetheart who didn't ever want to quilt dating...LOL .Got a divorce......and here I am!

I am re-married...for almost 9 years now...6 children..blended family..His, Mine, ours and somebody else's and I wouldn't change a thing!

I struggle currently because I am a full-time mother, Quilter and student. SO many of you said education....I always think this to myself.."why didn't you do this earlier?" and I have come to the conclusion that I probably wouldn't have tried as hard...after suffering without and education...I now appreciate what I missed out on...I will graduate next SUMMER!!!

On the flip side:
I can see so many of my own qualities that I hate in myself, in my daughter...it makes my have empathy for her because I know the road she will travel...it is difficult to watch but in some weird way I just assume she will be OK...after all I made right?
she sacrifices herself for everyone around her..she doesn't like anyone to be uncomfortable..she tunes into everyone else but not herself...oh the list goes on...I felt guilty for teaching her these things...just by example...but in the end sometimes those can be good qualities right?

So I will just pray for her. God Loves her more than I do..he will guide her.

Leatheflea...You re so funny! I bleach my hair too...but I am actually thankful I started that habit because now that I am getting gray hairs nobody notices..LOL

Sometimes looking at older pictures ..I do say to myself...Thank GOD you quit dyeing your own hair! And in some cases....WOW how could you let your roots get that long? Or who talked you into that hair style?? LOL
Congrats on being close to graduation! I got my BS at 36 and my Masters at 44. We are better students by far than the usual 21 year old because we have life experience (boy, do we!) and know what we want and are determined to get it!!!!! What is your degree in?
Old 10-09-2011, 04:10 AM

Be a better Mom/Step-mom. (But my kids all tell me they like who they are and that I did a good job, so who knows)
Old 10-09-2011, 04:53 AM

I would have become a Christan soon. I would have raised my kids better.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by haircut2
I agree with the smoking! Trying to cut down... doing better got one of those electronic cigs and it does help it does help.
I quit in April 2007 and have never looked back ---- try Chantix as it worked 100% for me (some people can't take it but you'll know early on). The Chantix with your electronic cig SHOULD do the trick!!! God bless.

:thumbup:
Old 10-09-2011, 07:28 AM

I would have put my foot down when daughter and grandson said it would only for 6 months, it has turned into 11 years. When grandson is 18 they both go!There is no bargaining on that.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:47 AM

This is so interesting. So many have said that they would not have gotten married and persued an education instead. Well, those are the choices I made and, though I don't regret it, sometimes being completely independent is a lonely place to be. I have lots of freedom, and that's great. But sometimes I wonder what it would be like to periodically hear the words, "I love you" from someone who means it.
My father told me at a very young age that he wanted me only to have a man in my life because I WANTED to and never because I NEEDED to.
I guess the point is that we all have our cross to bear. I hear that the secret to happiness is not in getting what you want, but wanting what you have! :-)
Old 10-09-2011, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Carron
Originally Posted by Carrie Jo
I would have paid more attention to the guy I met when I was 14-15yrs old . He would become my husband 30 yrs later. we would have had all those years together.
But you are together now and that counts for a lot.
The boy you knew then is not the man you are married to now, as you are not the girl he knew then. It took all of his experiences and yours too to be able to appreciate what you have. Think about it and rejoice.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:05 AM

fixfido I love your secret to happiness: the secret to happiness is not in getting what you want, but wanting what you have!
We all have are highs and lows in life.This is a wonderful thought to live by. Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Grambi
Originally Posted by Jill
I would have finished the quilted pillows I was working on for my sister. She had to have surgery last Friday, and I stayed by her bedside this week until the ventilator was removed yesterday. She passed away within two minutes. We were best friends and seldom missed a day talking to each other. I miss her terribly already.
I'm so sorry for your loss.
I am saddened for your loss. I never finished my dad's quilt either. But I was a good daughter and have forgiven myself.