Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
IF YOU COULD HAVE ONE DO-OVER >

IF YOU COULD HAVE ONE DO-OVER

IF YOU COULD HAVE ONE DO-OVER

Old 10-07-2011, 08:11 PM

If I went back and didn't know more than I knew then, I'm afraid I would probably end up right where I am now.

If I could back and be more secure in myself, I would never have married, caused my parents some awful heartache and I definitely would have been a much better daughter!

Either that, or I would not have taken that first breath at all!
Old 10-07-2011, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jill
I would have finished the quilted pillows I was working on for my sister. She had to have surgery last Friday, and I stayed by her bedside this week until the ventilator was removed yesterday. She passed away within two minutes. We were best friends and seldom missed a day talking to each other. I miss her terribly already.
Jill, I am so sorry for your loss. Be comforted by knowing she knew how much you loved her, she would have loved the pillows but sister love is an amazing blessing. Hugs and prayers and comfort from many wonderful memories.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:13 PM

Nothing. Live life with no regrets.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:15 PM

Not all of my past has been happy, some of it awful, but it has made me into who I am today. I wouldn't trade the past for the "what if's" or "could have beens".

Am I perfectly happy with who I am today? NO, but I have a wonderful husband - that took me 3 tries to get, wonderful children and grands that I wouldn't trade, a job that says "see you tomorrow" and keeps me out of the poor house. My parents are alive and fairly healthy, other family members have issues but who doesn't? We have plenty of food on the table and enough to share when others come over and I have a fabric stash that isn't hidden.

So, is life good? I'd have to say it's better than it has ever been and it's up to me to keep making it better. I am responsible for my own happiness...no one else is. I do love the life I live.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by dreamer2009
I would have come from a family
that loved and cared about me...
that would have formed a completely different me...
a me I would probably like today.
http://www.amazon.com/Bad-Childhood-...8047481&sr=8-1
Old 10-07-2011, 08:22 PM

Hmm.. this is a tough one. Mistakes and all I am happy with my choices. I do not regret thinking I was ready for motherhood at 18 instead of finishing college first because that miracle is 6 and the best part of my life. I do not regret getting married at 19 to my high school sweetheart that I had been dating for 5 years at the time. I do not regret having the best parents, that adopted me at 5 weeks old, that a girl could wish for. I like being raised as an only child.
I regret being molested at 13 by an uncle and instead of simply stopping it and pretending it didn't happen I had his ass put in JAIL. I regret not being born to my mom.I regret having to deal with knowing who birthed me and the fact that they kept my older brother and younger sister. I regret not being able to fully understand why I was not good enough and they were even though I wouldn't dare voice it to them. I regret not being closer to my "sister and brother" even though they have each other. I regret not knowing my neices and nephew and them not knowing their cousin. But even if I could change what I have done, the things I regret are not things of my doing. I can only continue forward knowing that I will never do to another what has been done to me. I love my son and will be responsible enough to care for any children I have and not give them away because I don't feel like being mommy to more than one child. I will not make my child question his self- worth because I don't want to admit fault in my own actions.
Sorry, I guess the question got to me a bit :/ I think maybe it's time for bed before I write you all a book! Apologies for the rant.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:55 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lisanne
Dreamer, I was so sorry to read your answer. Yes, if only we could do over some of the things we had no power to change.

But...

Imagine yourself several years from now, looking back on this day. Is there anything you can do over now, so that on that future day, you will be happier with yourself and your life?

All we can do is go forward. But the nice thing is, you get to work at more than one do-over. (And me, too - I need to keep this in mind for myself, too.)
I agree...one foot in front of the other...living each day as good as it can be...
Old 10-07-2011, 09:03 PM

I would have finished the quilted pillows I was working on for my sister. She had to have surgery last Friday, and I stayed by her bedside this week until the ventilator was removed yesterday. She passed away within two minutes. We were best friends and seldom missed a day talking to each other. I miss her terribly already.
Jill
So sorry for your loss. Having two sisters that are really close I know you must really miss her. Hugs.
Ellen
Old 10-07-2011, 09:13 PM

Husband #1 would have been just ex-boyfriend #3 and I would have gone to college but I love my kids and the grandkids and Husband #2 so it all turned out well in the end.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:51 PM

I am so sorry for your loss. I can only imagine how lonely my life would be without my so loved sisters. You are in my prayers Jill.