I'm a Grandma!!!!

Old 01-07-2010, 01:37 PM

breast fed babies ALWAYS gas and poop! after EVERY feeding for the first couple of months, anyway ...
I understand supplementing, especially with twins ...
having only experienced single births, I can't imagine what all would be needed.
Fifteen minutes on each side for one baby??? are you sure he is awake all that time??? ... poor mama ... part of the long time in nursing is because he and she is still learning, but how are her nipples holding up? Did I tell you about the boric acid solution? a real life saver during those first few weeks, and no need to wash off between nursings.
I remember with the La Leche society, they had a diagram of a lady nursing twins ... she had arranged a pillow on each side of herself that the babies were propped on, then there was a baby nursing on each side, with her hands under their heads ... I think they were older than your Gbabies are, though.
ANd, I know for a fact that I could never have done that ... I made Holstein cows look absolutely diminutive! ...
has mama had any engorging yet?
go get in the bathtub or shower and let the warm water release some of the pressure ... most will tell you not to do it, because milk out, more milk in ... trust me ... they have NEVER had breasts hard as rocks that weigh more than you do and PAIN ... it is harsh! I only had to do that a couple of times in the first week after baby was born, so I guess we are through that, eh?
I am going to go take a nap! <waaahhhhhh> <g> <wave>
Old 01-07-2010, 01:57 PM

Congratulations!
such wonderful news!! :thumbup:
Old 01-07-2010, 03:45 PM

She is going to try football hold with both of them, but will wait a few more weeks. She tried it once and it didn't work.
She does shower to help the milk come in and it's already in. She feeds and feeds, then she'll pump and pump. Most of the time when feeding babies fall asleep, but Grandma is there to wake them up so they are eating. i'm telling ya...they are such little piggies, but that's a good thing
Old 01-07-2010, 04:42 PM

If my babies fell asleep I started taking off their clothes or making them wait a little longer to eat so I was sure they were awake (now, I am starting to sound mean! :( ) I should say that mom told me to NEVER let the baby cry for more than five minutes before providing the care they needed. So, when one of the kids was waking up long enough for a snack, I would wait for a few minutes (could never wait for five minutes <g>) go in and change diapers very s l o w l y, and maybe spend a bit of time playing with them before getting down to business ... so what if they were fussing as I was dinking around? At least I knew they were waking up and GOOD and HUNGRY!
mom told me to tap the bottoms of their feet.
Just remember - - every time you take a lot of milk out (especially by way of a pump) more will come in. But, maybe that is what she is working toward, and with twins, I suppose it is a high priority.
When I was nursing, it was at a time when most DRs thought I was about the most backward human on earth! I suppose she got more proactive teaching than we did when we were young moms, eh?
(I am never sure what the "professionals" are doing, if they are doing correctly - - talk about old wives' tales! The pinheads have them! LOL)
Old 01-07-2010, 04:45 PM

Your babies are precious!! Love the picture of you with them.
Glad to hear they are growing!!!
Old 01-07-2010, 04:58 PM

If they start to fall asleep while nursing, have her tickle their feet. That will wake them right up. My oldest used to nurse at least 15 minutes per side. Maybe that's why he's over 6 feet tall at 14!
Old 01-07-2010, 05:49 PM
Power Poster

Gee I had to get caught up here. Just read all 26 pages!

Terri sounds like you are in heaven with 2 babies to love on. I know you will really miss them when you go back home.

I am sending out the package Monday, I got them all washed up today.

The babies get cuter with every pic!

When my son was born he only slept for a few hours at a time too, and that in itself was so tiring. Lauren is lucky to have you there to help.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:17 PM
Power Poster

Oh My goodness ! I am just catching up and can't believe how big they are getting :lol: How is the weather there ? Still have to wrap them up snuggly to take them outside ?
Old 01-07-2010, 07:12 PM
Power Poster

Aww that is awesome that they are gaining weight!!! Great news!!!

There are several positions that can be used to nurse twins.. a couple of pillows for support and find a postition that is comfy for mama... The football hold was DD's least favorite way... :wink:

How much longer are you going to be able to stay Terri?
Old 01-07-2010, 07:28 PM

I can't wait for their package to get here. I keep teasing Lauren and Donny about it. They keep trying to ask me in a roundabout way what it is. I'm not telling. lol
Got a squishy from Panda today. Little bibs with matching socks. Too cute! Plus, there was some candy and Lauren scoffed that up saying it would be good for baby milk lol

I leave here the morning of the 19th. Will drive out to see Patrice, then down to Jacksonville to spend the night. My flight leaves out of Jax at 6am, so have to check in at 5. UGH! Didn't realize it was such an early flight, but there's only one flight daily out of Honolulu to Guam on Continental.

I'll surely miss the babies, loving on them every chance I can get.