Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Jan 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! - the winners were Jholm and Purplemem >

Jan 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! - the winners were Jholm and Purplemem

Jan 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! - the winners were Jholm and Purplemem

Old 01-28-2012, 05:08 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by purplemem View Post
Good afternoon!
I am sore from my little walk yesterday but still going strong. Glad to see Missy check in. Mary L, glad to see you back. I think we are a stronger group now, we seem much more motivated. I'm still losing, I've passed the 10 lb mark for the month. WW is really working well for me and I don't have to take any more diuretics, a major change! The salt-free diet and the movement is keeping the fluid down, a great help to breathing.

Cindy, you are up for a tough weekend. Be sure to rest and de-stress to take care of yourself.
Judy, are you and the girls out walking? It is a beautiful day here with a high of 60 and me and dh are going for a short walk. What sweet words, short walk!

Meanmom-I hope you do well on your weigh-in, your success is OUR success as it motivates us to do better, too. If you hadn't signed up to lead the way I don't know if I would have.

Everyone keep on walking, movement prevents blood clots and you don't want to go there! Trust me!
Thanks for the welcome. You be careful and don't overdo it.I believe it is a stronger group.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:13 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
MJ, you got it - walking the furgirls and shoveling snow. 23 degrees and blowing snow. My driveway fills up because of the wind currents caused by my roofline and an adjacent pine tree. I think we only have about 4 inches of new snow. I had 8 to 11 in most of the drive. Luckily, it's not too long a drive but it is wide. I'm the greeter at church tomorrow so I decided I'd better get a path open then I ended up doing the whole thing. Lily and Moira walked for 1.5 miles then played while I shoveled. Both were strays in the winter so I don't let them get too cold, but they are well furred dogs, not little humans. 23 isn't cold. Congrats on going out for a walk, no matter the distance. Nothing beats fresh air. I can't join some of my friends walking the perimeter of Meijer's or the halls of the Jr/Sr HS complex. Stale heated air or unchanging scenery doesn't do it for me.

I've lost three pounds this week so I guess I will stay with protein for breakfast for a while. Wednesday is February 1st. Can I drop three more so I can meet my personal goal?? I'd settle for two so all the holiday weight would be gone. I can do a 'new' one or two next month.

I found a much sturdier cabinet for my little quilting machine at SA yesterday. It will need some wood added inside to make it the right height. Do I really need another project? Plus, it came from a smoker's house and I need to deal with that before I work near it.

Cindy, I can't believe you're doing 12 hour days so soon after returning to work. You go, girl. I assume you have Monday off.

Mary, are you on cruise control until the first so you'll have a better chance of winning next month? I would be, but you may not be as devious as I am. I try to remember every pound off is 4 pounds of pressure off my knees (and I assume my fused ankles) so even losing small amounts of weight improves our health.

I am losing weight and getting healthier.
Judy
Ive got a 9 lb loss and I feel much better already. Just 90 lbs to go. Piece of fruit (can't have cake)I know my feet feel the difference already.(heel and ankle spurs) I also have a mechanical aorta valve and 2 stents that are saying I feel better already.We'll all hang in there together.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:04 PM

Mary, nine pounds is great. You haven't been back that long. I missed the 'piece of fruit' for a minute. I must be tired from shoveling.

Off to sew on the Spicy Spiral so I can start the flannel. Still only one machine set up. I owe Miss Elna too much to stash her, but I guess I must. I overheard on of my grown daughters and her friend talking. Amy said her mother made her clothes because they were too poor to buy many, which isn't totally true, but it's her perception. My Laura answered that her mother made all her clothes because she could do better than any store and I (Laura) could have different things no one else could have. Quilting is so different from apparel sewing. It's been a learning curve, but then so is weight loss as I spent most of life trying to gain weight - until my thyroid burned itself out when I was in my forties.

Jeanne, you did well with your coffee hour goodies last week. You can do it again.

Y'all have a good evening.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:49 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
Mary, nine pounds is great. You haven't been back that long. I missed the 'piece of fruit' for a minute. I must be tired from shoveling.

Off to sew on the Spicy Spiral so I can start the flannel. Still only one machine set up. I owe Miss Elna too much to stash her, but I guess I must. I overheard on of my grown daughters and her friend talking. Amy said her mother made her clothes because they were too poor to buy many, which isn't totally true, but it's her perception. My Laura answered that her mother made all her clothes because she could do better than any store and I (Laura) could have different things no one else could have. Quilting is so different from apparel sewing. It's been a learning curve, but then so is weight loss as I spent most of life trying to gain weight - until my thyroid burned itself out when I was in my forties.

Jeanne, you did well with your coffee hour goodies last week. You can do it again.

Y'all have a good evening.
Nine pounds is total since on this diet. 10 days. First few are water I'm sure. But still excited.I'm on tyroid med also. and diabetic. Seems like the more you need good health the harder it is to lose.My mama made my clothes because of money and I loved them.Miss my mama good night.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:21 AM

Wow, I didn't realize I was so far behind in readinding posts. I'm so proud of all of all of you. All I read was positive. Way to go guys, weight los and improved health. That is so great.

WW has helped me to as I to have had a weight loss. We need to keep it going.

We've had snow here occasionally mixed with rained. Not fun to drive in. It's snowing this morning, the doing came in looking like Nanook of the north. We'll have to be carefull driving to church this morning. Remember to pray for me so I don't binge at church.

Well have a good day ladies. Careful when walking that you don't fall. God Bless

Jeanne
Old 01-29-2012, 07:46 PM

Hmmm, I did a post a few hours ago. I must not have hit 'post'. Whoops.

How did you do today at coffee hour, Jeanne? I had a few Doritos and a half an orange. I probably would had more than a few but I had to count money so I couldn't stay. Doritos are so bad for me. I am intolerant of corn and I try not to eat fried foods, so they aren't on my list, but are so tempting. At least the rashes that have appeared under my arms and on my sides are a reminder to not touch any corn snacks if I go to a Super Bowl party next week.

Walking was lovely. I don't feel too unsafe as long as I have my Yaktrax on and there's some snow on top of the ice. If I hit an icy patch, I call both dogs to me and have them heel until we get to better footing. They are such good furgirls.

I have the spiral sandwiched and ready to quilt and I don't have any pins. My friend who helped me is a compulsive pinner. I can either go rob some from the half of the flannel that she pinned or I can wait and buy some more on the way home from the funeral tomorrow. I don't need any more and I want it done tonight so I guess it's time to go to the LR and pull out some pins. This one looks darker than the other burgundy one. I'm debating how to fix that when I bind it. I'm ready to make another bright one after two burgundy ones. I can't do mine until I decide what color I'm painting my kitchen, I know red, but will it be red and aqua or red and apple green. I thought of red and yellow, but threw that one out. I need to go get some paint samples. I actually am thinking of leaving the soft peach parts and painting the SW parts a rusty red with just aqua accents. Decisions, decisions.

My weight is holding at -3. I have two more days to lose the other 2, then the holiday pounds will be gone. I hope today's protein was okay. I rarely eat processed meats, but some light smoky links were calling my name. They were yummy.

I am losing weight and getting healthier. Have a good evening.
Judy
Old 01-30-2012, 04:26 AM

Hi everybody - good morning to you!

Judy - I'm so excited to say that for the last two weeks I have done very well at coffee hour at church. I've been bound and determined not to graze myself through the whole thing and I've made it. Yeah!

Hubby and I are going to a log cabin quilt class and having a ball. He' doing a traditional one and I'm doing a fat skinny (I thought that was appropriate) Hubby took a jelly roll we had laying around here forever that we bought on a sale at a shop hop - wasn't sure of what colors he was getting but that's what he's using. Turned out to be black, white, yellow green. Mine is just real scrappy, green center, blue, yellow brown, purple, and a mixture of batiks. The light side is beiges, and any light colors I can find that fit. Like I said pretty scappy.

I'm losing weight, when do we weigh in and PM to Cindy. I think it's going to be a close contest this time with so many losing weight.

MJ It sounds like your doing good with weight watchers. Good Luck.

Well I have to get hubby up, doggys need their medicine.

Have a good day everyone. Happy Quilting.

Jeanne
Old 01-30-2012, 10:46 AM
mim

did anyone see the hint in Dear Abby this morning -- When you get a craving for something -- GO BRUSH YOUR TEETH evidently the change in flavors -- especially mint sidetracks your urge.

Lots of clean teeth around here !!! LOL
Mim
Old 01-30-2012, 10:54 AM

Ladies..............I posted the new thread for next month. Here is the link to sign up

http://www.quiltingboard.com/general...ml#post4925817

February FQ theme is sender's choice. Send what you would want to receive back.

Remember send me your weight loss by wednesday so we can see who the winner is.

Good luck everyone.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by JHolm View Post
Hi everybody - good morning to you!

Judy - I'm so excited to say that for the last two weeks I have done very well at coffee hour at church. I've been bound and determined not to graze myself through the whole thing and I've made it. Yeah!

Hubby and I are going to a log cabin quilt class and having a ball. He' doing a traditional one and I'm doing a fat skinny (I thought that was appropriate) Hubby took a jelly roll we had laying around here forever that we bought on a sale at a shop hop - wasn't sure of what colors he was getting but that's what he's using. Turned out to be black, white, yellow green. Mine is just real scrappy, green center, blue, yellow brown, purple, and a mixture of batiks. The light side is beiges, and any light colors I can find that fit. Like I said pretty scappy.

I'm losing weight, when do we weigh in and PM to Cindy. I think it's going to be a close contest this time with so many losing weight.

MJ It sounds like your doing good with weight watchers. Good Luck.

Well I have to get hubby up, doggys need their medicine.

Have a good day everyone. Happy Quilting.

Jeanne
Please PM me on the 31st the first of the month at the latest