Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
January 2013 Weight Loss Adventure with a prize. >

January 2013 Weight Loss Adventure with a prize.

January 2013 Weight Loss Adventure with a prize.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:47 PM

You go girl! We are all keeping you in our prayers. Healthy eating to all of us!
Old 01-19-2013, 02:51 PM

Pam. i love the baby stuff you did! Is the wall hanging a panel or applique? My daughter would love it! She is an elephant fanatic!! I do the same for baby showers. You did wonderful!!

Cindi- 70 lbs wow thats phenominal! I lost 40 few yrs ago but scale has been stuck since then.
Like most of you i dont see how health issue are not part of wt loss. For example, im on prednisone a steroid. That makes it very hard to lose wt! Its about the WHOLE person not just a part!
Keep up the good work! :-)
Old 01-19-2013, 02:59 PM

Cindi. i know how scary it is with heart issues! Had to wear heart monitor for 6 mths! Stress test and echos. On meds things seem to have settled down thank goodness! When your dad passed away from massive heart attack at 59 and it runs in the family its always in the back of your mind! Hugs friens!
Old 01-19-2013, 03:58 PM

Health issues, life issues all affect our weight. Half of weight loss is our mental state. Good luck. My Doctor freaked me out a few years ago. I was having some minor surgery on my nose. Had to have an EKG. The nurse did it twice, then the doctor did it. She said it wasn't right and was going to send my to a cardiologist. I still wasn't that concerned at this point. SHe said she would call and set something up for me. Then when she came back in she asked if I could go right there and my appointment was in 20 minutes. He was squeezing me in before lunch. Then I was sure it was really bad. It turns out I have an abnormal EKG that is ok. The way he explained it 2 things were a little abnormal that made it normal.
Good luck Cindy. My eating is not too good this weekend. We went to Panera for lunch. I have been eating way too many carbs this wekend. I will just have to work out extra tomorrow. We went to a home improvement expo today. Now I want to remodel my whole house.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:30 PM

Thanks for all the complements on my baby gifts. The wallhanging is applique. My daughter sent me some pics of things she liked and I went from there. The shower was very nice but you wouldn't believe the food. The whole thing was a movie theme and was actually held at the party room in the theater. The food was 4 flavors of popcorn, all kinds of candy and cake. To drink was bottles of sugar filled soda pop. Bad!! Bad!!
I want to go out for dinner to some place that has nice salads. It is very windy now with an Alberta Clipper. So glad I leave in the morning for Florida to visit my mom for 8 days.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:16 AM

Pam I love your baby things. Wow you have been busy. The shower sounds like a fun one. Yes there isn't usually much diet friendly food at a shower. I need to get started on a baby quilt for my DD. She has requested something Charley Harper looking.( he is my DD and SIL favorite artist) I think I am going to copy his zoo babies poster. I am working on some applique on my Convergence wall hanging that I did at last years Guild retreat. I finally made up my mind what I want on it. It is an abstract design. I have it all cut out and the edges starched under. I am going to machine applique it. Last night , late, i decided all of the circles needed trapunto embroidery on them. I am not stuffing them just embroidery. SO that will take some time since there are 14 circles.
Time for laundry, and the elliptical. I also plan on painting the bathroom today and want to make a design wall and hang some pegboard on my sewing room tomorrow. Hopefully no time for junk food.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:19 PM

Love your elephants Pam. Cindy, Keep your chin up & hang in there. I think it helps to know that others are out there & know what you're going thru. We all need someone to talk to about these things, they can be scary.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:07 AM

I sure hope that I am putting this in the right spot.

Today is Sunday Jan 20th. I am proud of myself for trucking along doing good with my weight loss. I have been very good and even though I REALLY REALLY want a big fat juicy hamburger and fries from Wendy's...I HAVE not done it. But ohhhhhhh I really really really want one. I have a doctors appointment this wednesday at noon and I KNOW that they are going to weigh me. So I will be able to see what progress that I have made in the past 3 weeks. Not many more days to go for this months challenge. I hope that everyone is doing well and are reaching their goals if they have set one for themselves. Exercise today was a trip to Walmart to just walk around and fill up a cart and boy that cart was HEAVY HEAVY today. My husband put five 25 pound bags of Bird food in the cart. And on the bottom of the cart he put two 20 pound bags of dog food!!!! OH and a loaf of bread. lol So todays cart was filled with 165 pounds. I thought I was going to die pushing that cart. My husband told me on my first trip around the store that he would remove some of the weight and I told him No I have to do this.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:58 AM

Good Morning Ladies......How did you do over the weekend? I did pretty good. Did have some blood sugar spikes as I didn't pay attention to how many carbs I was eating. It was a slap of reality of how close I need to pay attention to what goes in my mouth. I also spent part of yesterday planning my meals for work. I have most of them made. I also made a crustless spinach quiche for breakfast.

Suggestion for the best way to cook shrimp. I have never really cooked shrimp, others have always cooked for me or I bought pre-cooked.

Have a good day.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:57 AM

Cindy - FQ's should be on their way to you, you may even get them tomorrow. And I'm from MD where we love our seafood. The best way to do shrimp is steamed with Old Bay seasoning. We live and breath that stuff!!!! Don't really like them any other way. I usually eat mine with a little lemon spritzed over them and some cocktail sauce on the side. That and a good salad and I'm good-to-go!!

I'll keep you in my prayers regarding your visit to the cardiologist. My husband has been seeing one since he was 39 and had his first heart attack. He's 61 this Feb. and has had angioplast, 4 way bypass, and his heart is now in AFib all the time. You wouldn't know he ever had anything wrong with him by looking at him. Pay attention to what your body is telling you, and do what your doctors tell you to do. Heart runs in DH's family. I participate in a heart study at Johns Hopkins. I've been the last 2 years. They do all kinds of stuff to me, tests, blood work, EKG, Echocardiogram, CatScan, MRI. It's all done free, and they pay me for participating (which is a plus). And I get all my results. So far, heart is in great shape. Now to lose my weight.

On a good note, Mom's eye is doing good. She has macular degeneration in one eye and had the catarac removed from it in October. She went back and had her good eye done and thankfully it didn't mess it up. She has a really hard time seeing. I take her shopping a lot to help her read the labels and things.

Love all the quilt pictures posted!!!! You all do such beautiful work. I made a couple mug rugs this weekend. I got a box and I'm working toward Christmas. I plan on having a bunch of things made for gifts by the time Christmas rolls around. When I get time to make small things that's what I do. We'll see how that works for me.