Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
July 2012 Weight loss adventure with a prize!!! >

July 2012 Weight loss adventure with a prize!!!

July 2012 Weight loss adventure with a prize!!!

Old 07-24-2012, 05:06 PM

Will there be one for August? Can I join then? I really need a support group to help me lose weight.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:35 PM

sewhappy30, I'm sure there will be one for August, but you are welcome to start posting now for the support, just not the FQs. I have some mailing to do. I am so off schedule with company for two weeks and so many app'ts. How did I ever work full time?

Dinner was salads by the lake. It was in the 80s today, so it was lovely. I couldn't eat all of my salad - that has to be a first. Maybe I won't be ravenous on steroids this time. Has anyone ever had hot flashes from them? I'm too old for this.

My new vacuum cleaner broke today. The last one lasted 18+ years. This one a month??? Hmmm.

Have a good evening. I'm going to go work on the quilt. Row # 4 has one seam left, then just three to go. I have the only four stars done, so no more HSTs. Yay!
Old 07-24-2012, 06:48 PM

Well lets try this again. Had a huge message and then nothing. Maybe that's why.

Welcome to all the newbies. Yes we love to hear how you are doing and interact with you. We can get pretty crazy every once in a while, but that's okay. I fly away on Friday. DD is going with us on our trips, so it will be wonderful to get back in touch with her. But our first trip is to see Dad. Mom will go to the memory unit on Thurs. Feel like I'm becoming 2 again - going back and forth between them. I made the right decision to place Mom. The last couple days have been hard on her and me. DH is out of town right now.

I found a quilt pattern to work on as we travel. It is the "Cookie Cutter Quilt". The large squares will have holiday motifs in them. I'm using some of the items that I have cut out for note cards and then will fill in with cookie cutter designs. I'm so excited. Then I will be making the "Flying Trees" by Alex Anderson. Found both of these patterns in an old quilting book at the antique store. So I'm on to making more Christmas things as I'm pretty sure that this fall I will be back on the road traveling with the business.

Eating has been good this week. No pies from the neighbors. When we start traveling it will be much harder. Hoping to take my ground flax seed and my apples with and get a jar of peanut butter for breakfast in the morning. Who knows what kind of things are still in Dad's condo. Hoping it isn't 120` in there when we get there, because the electricity is off right now. Life...

thinking of all of you. Take care - be good to YOU.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:03 PM

Question? What does the chance of winning a few FQs mean to your weight loss? Would this be easier if they were eliminated? Or would you not participate? Just some late night ruminations of a mind high on steroids - I need to sleep, but I'm not tired so I think too much. I didn't start the thread, so I can't change it - just asking. Is it because I never have a chance of winning or that I am behind on my mailing that I ask? I don't think so. BTW, I will get caught up. The rest of the week looks easy after my annual Dr app't tomorrow.

Good night, y'all.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:34 AM

Irishrose - I kinda like the idea of the FQs - although I don't think I'd ever win them either. I am caught up and have some choices to pick from for next month. I don't generally use or even most times, think of FQ when I'm in my room working. I use them more for gifts, although I had about 2 years ago gotten into lots of applique work - then I used them. ALso, would like to try that recipe you might have for the cabbage salad. I've pickled almost everything that comes around, but never tried cabbage - guess that's what kim shee is, though!
Hope all the physical woes we all seem to have are clearing and everyone is eating well.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:08 AM

Good Morning everyone! So far so good with my exercise. I've been doing Walk away the Pounds by Leslie Sansone. I really enjoy those DVD's. I want to lose about 30 pounds. It's such a struggle. I just ordered another program (I think I''ve done everything that has ever been advertised) LOL This one is called Mama Wants her Body Back. and I sure do!!

I'm 44 years old and it does get harder to lose as you get older, but it's not impossible (at least that's what everybody says) lol. Just takes a lot of committment and willpower. Which I need to focus more on both.

Well off to work, hope everyone has a great day and we all get a what we want from this journey today. Remember...One day at a time.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:44 AM

Blue is for peace today. May you all have peace of mind and heart today. Stress can add lots besides the pounds.

Today Mom goes to the memory unit. I have started her packing and mine for our trips. The decision was a right one, I was reminded this morning why. So right now I do have peace of mind.

I like the FQ policy. (I challenge myself to achieve my written down goal, which in turn challenges me against others.) Love to pick them out for others. I tend to look at them differently now, or I send fabric from my stash. But whatever is decided.

Another way that I use cabbage is to fry a little bacon till crisp. Drain. Crumble bacon. Cook cabbage until soft and then add the bacon. We all have liked it. Maybe because the bacon gives it that crunch that I like and it's easy for Mom to eat. But I would love the salad recipe also, Irish.

Don't know if we are going to take a computer with us, so I might be gone for weeks. Take care - be good to YOU.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:55 AM

Okay, FQs win. It was just middle of the night musing, anyhow.

I don't know if this is exact, but it'll do. The cookbook is definitely that old. It's called Freezer Slaw, but I never froze it.

Freezer Slaw
1 medium head cabbage ---------- 1 cup vinegar
1medium carrot ------------------- 1/4 cup water
1 pepper --------------------------- 2 cups sugar
1 tsp salt -------------------------- 1 tsp mustard seed
------------------------------------- 1 tsp celery seed

Shred cabbage, mix in carrot, pepper and salt. Let stand 15 minutes, then drain off excess moisture. Mix vinegar, water, sugar, celery seed and mustard seed. Boil for one minute, cool. Pour over cabbage and freeze.

I'm sure I added onion. If I made it today, I might use less sugar. This keeps well in the fridge. I recently made it without looking up the recipe. I skipped the green pepper and added an onion - it was good. I do like red peppers better than green.

edit- sorry about the dashes. The computer scrunched it all together when I just left a space.

Last edited by irishrose; 07-26-2012 at 07:58 AM.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:04 PM

Hi all, Been busy I'm cutting up all my scraps into usable sqs.strips and tri. That scraappy quilt is getting closer to the horizion. Eating has been soso for most of the month. Those FQ's are not in my future for this month at least.
Off to do more cutting. Have a good day and I think I'll try the cabbage dish it sounds really good and since I have some cabbage to use up and have all the other stuff it's a start for tomorrows dinner.
Everrose have a safe trip and you have done the best for your mom. Prayers to you both.
Gail
Old 07-26-2012, 01:49 PM

Gail, thank you. Know lots of you are behind my decision. Just had to call our DD and say "I'm sad and feeling guilty" and need to hear your voice. So she said I had 24 hours to feel this way, then that's it. So until 4:30 p.m. central time Friday, July 27, I can feel crappy, but knowing Mom is in a good, safe place. She just isn't happy about it and it will take some adjustment on both of our parts.

Irish, made a copy of the recipe right away. When we get back I'm going to make it. Thank you!

Well, it seems pretty quiet around here, so I'm going to put a book on tape on and sew some pillow cases. Talk at you soon. Please take care of you.