Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
July 2012 Weight loss adventure with a prize!!! >

July 2012 Weight loss adventure with a prize!!!

July 2012 Weight loss adventure with a prize!!!

Old 07-22-2012, 08:08 AM

I'm dropping in to say hi! I've been flat on my back Tuesday to saturday, but now i'm good to go. I have so much to do and I'm overwhelmed. Where to start? I'm making two dqs for the swap and the first one is a total disaster. Reboot!so frustrating...a good idea gone bad!
everose... I'm very proud of you. I know the decision was difficult but you did it. Personally, I'd wait until I was back home before I'd break the news. Remember, even tho' she has moments of lucidity, most of the time she is not, and really is in no position to make good choices. I know you'll reassure her you love her, and now she'll have new friends and things to do every day. And all the attention she'll be getting in a new situation. It's all good!
congrats everyone on the bumper zucchini crops! I love green and that includes zucchini! I do mine in Pam. With sliced onions, crookneck squash and garlic. Final touch is a tablespoon of brown sugar, s&p to taste. Mmmm, I think I'm the only one who doesn't have zucchini, LOl, I'm sure I can find some at a farm stand.
pam...congrats on your new little shrimp! Olivia turns one on aug3 and I will be there ! As a surprise I am flying our ny son in also, ok, I'm actually going by plane, couldn't get ds off the ground on a dare. But I bought him a ticket, so we will all be in the same place at the same time!!! YAY!! What a week we will have! Wonder what petty stuff we can argue about! Watch out, Olivia, here comes Grammi, let the kissing commence!
Oh the good news of being bedridden, couldn't get to the kitchen for snacks. Lost 1 lb. woo hoo!
everybody hang tight and keep on drinking!

Last edited by nancia; 07-22-2012 at 08:10 AM.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:07 AM

Geez, nancia, I hope you mean water. I'm having the first procedure on the way to back surgery done tomorrow so I won't be drinking anything else today - oh, except pineapple juice and V-8 juice. Not that I do anyhow. I have bought the sulfite free wine I found yet. I'm sorry you've been shot down by your back problems again. I will pray that your back has a good trip so you can have a good trip. I can't wait for new Olivia pictures. I love one year olds.

Everose, you're doing the right thing with your mother. I assume the home is nearby so you can visit often. Your doll quilt is darling. Someday with I'll have time to play, but with such a large family, I always have a "have to" quilt in the works. The quilt of valor blocks are all done and three rows are together. My GS's b' day is Aug 12 and he leaves Aug 13 so it's not crunch time yet. Just so many app'ts out of town between my back and my ex-husband's cancer. His surgery is the 3rd.

I took yesterday off from everything, including controlling my food intake, but today is a new day. I will eat carefully and start cleaning the house. It's amazing how much two extra people track in. I did water and deadhead flowers, but I have at least another hour's work there. I think it's too hot right now - maybe not, there is a nice breeze.

Mim, do have the recipe for zucchini pie? Is it like a quiche? I love quiches and impossible pies made with Bisquick (they make a gluten free one now.)

Why do I have an urge to make split pea soup? That doesn't sound like summer food.

A little over a week to go to weigh in. I still want to lose two pounds, which is doable. Like nancia said, hang tight. We are losing weight and getting healthier.
Judy
Old 07-22-2012, 09:52 AM

Nancia, good to hear from you again. I'll bet there are zucchini around somewhere. I haven't gone out there today, maybe scared to because I still have 6 sitting on the kitchen counter.

Pam H. - what do you think the baby will be? Me - I always hope for a girl. I was only girl out of 4 so I always want to even the odds. Oh, the baby things you can now make.

Zucchine pie - don't think I have ever had or made. Will have to look up a recipe and maybe try it. Although my neighbors have been making raspberry pie and sending parts over. It was so good - maybe that's why the scale is up that pound that Nancia lost.

Thank you all for words of encouragement. This next week will be hard, packing for 2 and then leaving Mom. But in my mind, it's okay. There will always be some who say I made the wrong decision. They didn't live here.

So many of you have been talking about a disappearing 9 patch that I can't get it out of my head. Have already planned at least one with a sports theme for Quilts for Kids. I might even have to do a floral one later. Oh, the list never gets shorter, does it!!!

Hot here today. Be good to you and keep those liquids flowing into you.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:02 PM

Everose, I think the baby is a girl. And yes, nancia, she looked exactly like a shrimp in the ultrasound. I'm starting to think of names that I think would be good for her. Maybe Abbie or Maggie.
I worked so hard today helping with the unpacking. Did some vacuuming and mopping. How in the world did I only get in 2800 steps? Guess I spent too much time in one spot unpacking boxes. I supposed being down on my knees wiping out cabinets and then loading stuff into them didn't get many steps in either.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:24 AM

pam if you keep on this way we'll start sending you pickles and ice cream! lol! we hear about the baby from you and you are choosing names, have you told your daughter yet that she's pregnant? she shouldn't be the last to know!! lololol! i made a huge mistake and leaked olivia's name because her mom had said that's what it was going to be. sheesh, a state secret or something! well, my son dithered for a few weeks, then finally allowed as how that's what he wanted to name her. i felt bad, but he dragged it out so long i just forgave me, and moved on to adoring her! lol, that's where i was going anyway! any of you all who want olivia pictures, i have her 11 month ones from jcp. i can forward the email to you but i can't post them on the board. so pm me your email addresses if you'd like to see our little "shrimp" who is now a princess! i was sharing her, especially with xylie, and i haven't heard from her in ages! i have another board friend who is sending o a birthday gift, because she will never have a dgd otherwise. it's all good! o deserves to be loved from far and wide! don't they all?! pam, your little one is already a boy or girl, but it will be awhile before you can tell on the ultrasound. i will admit i like both abbie and maggie, and also molly. have a 2 yr old friend annabelle. old names are new again!
everose-- hang tight! you know you have done the best possible for your mother. mine was in a memory unit and couldn't find her room again if she walked into the hall and didn't know there was a bathroom right next to where she got out of bed. but then she would yell at my sister for 'pushing her around', or 'telling her what to do'. you have to have coverage for the times when she needs it most, and accept the lucid sounding moments as little gifts in time. she probably has no sense of what she has said as soon as it leaves her mouth! you've got my thoughts and prayers, and all the strength i can beam to you! i'm on your side all the way!!
judy good luck with your first procedure! i will keep you in my heart! my back was very good today, and frankly i had not expected it, since saturday i spent too much time cleaning my sewing area and shoving small furniture around. to celebrate i took dh out for mesquite grilled steak and margaritas. my dh calls them adult slurpies! works for me!! i'm not much of an alcohol drinker, but summer just calls for margaritas, and mine had strawberries, so it counted as a fruit. and i had a plain small plain sweet potato, and let's just not even talk about the hot yeast rolls, brushed with honey! lol. i actually, said no to a second basket, and you know i would happily have eaten them and no steak or anything else, but i was good! for b'fast i had small plain pita chips (no fat) and hummus. you do realise my idea of dieting is to get reduced-fat oreos, right?!! and i drink iced coffee, plain, mebbe a tetch of sugar.
the Nancia Memorial Home for Orphaned and Unwanted zucchinis is now officially open and receiving applicants. no squash over 5 lbs will be accepted! at that age they are real stinkers and we'd rather deal with the sweet young things. does anyone have a recipe for pickled green beans? i grew up with them as they were a special treat made for my mother by her best friend's mother. been a long time since i've had them, but boy are they good. i remember them being sweet, and wonderful. also, would love a recipe for the texas sweet & sour and hot pickle chips--all in the same jar--mm,mmm, those are fantastic too! sounds like i'm going to be in quite a pickle!! lol pam, you have an unusual effect on me, too! just for fun!! i truly am excited for you! grandbabies are the best!!! olivia, grammi is coming!!
oooo,oooo,oooo, before i forget, i used to make cold blueberry soup in the summer. anyone have a light version? sorry to be so windy, and hello, everyone! it's been a long time since i've said much, so now i'm saying too much!! lol, that's me! an extremist!!

Last edited by nancia; 07-23-2012 at 12:28 AM.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:53 AM

Everose I know it is a really hard decision but you have lived it and you know what is best. She will have friends and activities in the memory unit. You do not need to ruin your health caring for her. Visit often and know in your heart that you did the best for your mom.
Nancia cold blueberry soup sounds good. I don't know the recipe but I substitute fat free half and half for heavy cream in most things with good success. Also fat free sour cream for regular and Splenda for sugar. I love cold soups but I never seem to make them.
I helped my youngest DD move into a house near college campus with her friends. It is awful what they charge these kids in rent. They house is in such bad shape. The whole thing is crooked. The floors are so wavy you feel drunk walking around. Lots of things not working right. THe owner claims he will fix them when they give him a list. I sure hope so or he will be hearing form some pretty pissed parents. Man was it hot there. I hung curtains, put shelves in the closet and did some cleaning. the bathtub was so dirty they ended up cleaning it with oven cleaner. They will work until they get it in shape. They plan on demanding a rent rebate for all of the cleaning they had to do. I only saw it after a lot of cleaning and it was still gross. We had pizza for dinner. It was delicious, some kind of gourmet pizza. I would hate to know how many calories I ate.
Off to Zumba class now
Old 07-24-2012, 04:24 AM

Have so enjoyed the banter back and forth. Didn't have much to add, so until today, didn't sign in. Need to evey so often, though to let you know I am lurking! Have been watching the diet, but not as good as I should. Had spare ribs last night with boiled cabbage - doesn't sound so good this morning, but it was good. Neighbor brought me HUGH head of cabbage and I cut up one half. Guess I'll make cole slaw with another part of it and then???? Have no recipes for cabbage that will keep for another week or so. Hubby is good about eating whatever I put on the table, but cabbage or zukks or tomatoes day after day after day gets to him. I could eat tomatoes with every meal. I have a recipe for a eggplant pie - I'm going to try it, but mixing eggplant, zucchini and crookneck along with a mirliton (here in Tennessee, they call this a chayote squash - in Louisiana its mirliton or alligator pear). I'll let you know how this turns out.
Everose, I'll keep you in my prayers with your mom. I know how hard that is, but it's for the best - and gets her the best care, too. Pam, good luck with little ones - and Irishrose, prayers to you for your surgery and healing.
Take care eveyone and eat healthy.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:21 AM

Vanogay, back in the 70s, we made a cabbage salad with a boiled vinegar and sugar dressing. It had to sit in the fridge overnight, but it kept for weeks if it lasted that long. I can probably scrounge up a recipe if you're interested. Don't be hesitant to post. Our lives effect our weight gain or loss and sometimes it's nice to have some caring listeners. I love your interesting squash names. BTW, thank you for the well wishes. No surgery scheduled yet. It's a long process with this one. Plus, I haven't had an answer on my return to mobility - who's going to walk my dogs? Much as I hate dog hair around, I can't live alone without them and rehoming 7 and 5 year old mutts isn't easy, anyway.

I didn't do well eating yesterday. The position I had to be in for the procedure left me with a sore neck and headache. When I hurt, I eat. I swear it goes back to being an underweight child - my mother made me eat so I wouldn't become thinner - besides, I was born with a high metabolism from an overactive thyroid and ate huge amounts to start with. Too bad my thyroid burned itself out and took away my ability to eat a lot without gaining. That's my excuse.

Back to the GS's quilt today. I had to do a lot of frog sewing yesterday, so I quit. Ribbit, ribbit, rippit. Does anyone bit by the quilting bug keep up on their mending? I have several things in a rocking chair that need attention, but are being neglected.

I wonder what this week taboo will be? I didn't earn a gold star last week. My guests had some loaded baked potato chips and I finished the bag after they left. Only a few, but still fried food, plus they have sulfites in them so I should have pitched them.

Our farmer's market is Tuesday and Friday, but I may not go. The prices aren't as good as a local farm market who isn't allowed to participate as she sells some non Michigan items in her store. Picky, picky. Besides, there is a nursery owner who has some lovely flowers and I really don't need any more so maybe it's best I get my zucchini at the commercial marker.

Dinner out with #1 daughter tonight. What sounds good? Nothing without a road trip. Okay, enough rambling. Off to water flowers and deadhead some more. When you get behind, it's hard to catch up.

I am losing weight and getting healthier. Am I going to be my desired 2 pounds down on the 31th???
Eat clean, drink your water and move your body. It got to a humid 97 here yesterday, so we walked pretty late, but we did it. My bouncy furgirls don't care, though they do slow down a little sooner.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:41 AM

Taboo Tues. This week I know some of your gardens are ready so fill up on lots of good veggies and if you come up with a new recipe let us know. Have a good week. Just heard that we are to get more bad storms so if you don't hear from me for awhile you will know why. This is getting old fast.
Pam S
Old 07-24-2012, 03:58 PM

I made the zucchini cakes that are on here last night. I liked them. My DH and DS said they were a little weird but good. I asken them if they would eat them again and they said sure, so that means they liked them.
My DD and I checked out a different mall today we had never been to It was really nice, huge. We were there from 10 to 4. My feet are worn out. I did get 4 pairs of capris to wear to school since none of mine it any more. I also got a couple of shirts. We will have to go again when my feet recover.
My other DS is coming home from Japan tomorrow. I haven't seen him in 1 1/2 years. Hw will be here a month. His wife will be here in 2 weeks. Eating will probably be awful the month he is here. He wants all of his favorites. All fattening stuff. I will try to keep food under control and not be too bad.