Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: July weight loss

Happy 4th of July to all! I kept myself busy today sewing some burp bibs for my daughter's baby due in September and I will be sewing on his quilt today as well. Today is what I would call a "munchy" day so I have to keep my hands busy. Tomorrow will be a quiet day for us with the exception of the fire works that I am sure will start first thing in the morning. It is just my Mom, my DH, my dog Kasper and myself at home tomorrow since our grown kids are all living in other states and my youngest daughter is a camp counselor in West Virginia. The good thing is I don't have to worry about having a lot of tempting goodies around.
    My sister arrives from Florida on Sunday while I am at work. She will be staying with Mom for about 9 days and then another sister arrives to stay with Mom until we get back home from our trip. I did some shopping with my DH yesterday for our trip and I was very pleased with being able to buy a smaller size. Although I would like to lose while vacationing, I will be happy with maintaining. I guess it is a good thing that Ireland and Scotland are not well known for their food.
    The hospital I work at is encouraging everyone to get more fit by offering Fit Bit purchases for less than 1/2 price. Mine just arrived so I am logging steps. Apparently though, our insurance will also be dependent on our compliance with becoming fit. In the past we had to comply with Biometrics Screening to save on our deductible, starting this fall we need to do our Biometric Screening plus be working to lower our BMI by a minimum of two points a year. If you have a healthy BMI, you have to maintain it. It's always something.
    Happy 4th everyone.

I went for my walk at 5:30 this morning, what a gorgeous day it will be here.
    Yesterday I didn't walk at all, couldn't make myself do it

We maintain a very low profile on the 4th because the fireworks are so hard on the animals.

the carpel tunnel continues to heal, the side by the pinky seems to be the area to express displeasure the most often.
    Rob requested a pineapple upside down cake yesterday, it's upside down all right...my hand wouldn't take the weight of the cake and platter when turning it out...he has what looks like a pineapple mess now

I'm sure pineapple "mess" tastes as good.

I went out to eat yesterday. I'm definitely going to have to watch that. I had some ideas of what I was going to order to keep it healthy but we ended up at a different restaurant. I ate everything I ordered. I should have cut it in half and boxed it up right away. I'll be more careful next time.

I think I'm finally over my awful stress eating. I've been more careful over the last couple of days (except for the lunch yesterday) and am already feeling better. I've been focusing on smaller portion sizes and really thinking about and enjoying the flavors as I eat. I've been making an effort to eat much more slowly, too.

I made myself go to the gym this morning. WooHoo! It feels good to move.

Happy 4th, everyone!

Congratulations on pushing yourself to go to the gym today Cindy. I could not go today but I did do a lot of walking. You are so right about trying to eat slower. Sometimes we don't get a full half hour lunch break a work due to the demands of the day. This hospital is much better than the last I worked at, but I got used to eating very quickly at my last job and it is a habit I need to change. Thanks for bringing that up. I also like your idea of boxing up 1/2 of the meal right away when going out to eat. Great suggestions.
    Happy Fourth everyone. I hope everyone is having a nice day whether you are actively celebrating or enjoying a quiet day.

Blog Entries
    I hope everyone had a great 4th yesterday. We got home late last night. I have spent the morning unpacking. We have 2 picnics today and will get home late tonight. I am making the same salad for both picnics. I will post the June winner tonight or tomorrow. My DH and 2 DS trashed my house while I was gone. GRRRRR! They don't know why I am mad. I could hardly carry my things in there is so much junk in my living room. If it isn't gone tonight when I get home it is going in their cars. Dirty dishes and dirty laundry.

I took my dogs this morning off-leash, that was a mistake. Too many things for them to stop and smell so I only make the well head and back but that is 2000 steps.

I'm enjoying hearing the self-made success stories turning up on the nurtisystem thread. The dedication to healthy living is something we don't give ourselves enough credit for.

I know when eating out most fast food joints have Really good salads now, our Safeway grocery has great salads iin the deli case now (kind of expensive but has anyone priced pizza lately?) and Applebee's has a section of their menu dedicated to healthy eating. Can we name some more common sense items restaurants?

My husband did groceries last and he brought home a couple of boxes of Stoffer's french bread pizzas. Yowza! 400 calories for one piece!!
    there is more to my story but mother is pounding so I must fly...more steps!

I am a newbie joining for July. Looking forward to the fun and communications.
    bjsmith57

KQ, I could go for a few bites of that pineapple mess. Sounds good to me.
    If I am hungry for pizza, I get a Papa Murphy's delite. They are really good and satisfy that need. The super thin crust makes it a lot fewer calories.
    It's great that Applebees's has a WW section in their menu but they use msg in their food so I can't eat there.
    Broiled or grilled shrimp is a great healthy option. Order it with a baked potato and steamed veggies for a healthy meal. if you have Mimi's, they have a light menu. I wish we had one here. Green Mill has some light items on their menu too.
    Pat, I have been there too many times to count. I would love to see the look on their faces if you load all that stuff into their cars.
    I've been doing well getting at least 100% on my activity monitor every day. "It" wants me to increase my goal. I'm considering it.

welcome bj!

Blog Entries
    Pat, I love your attitude. I would do the same thing with those dirty things.

Well, the cast has been changed but I had the wrong cast tech so it's not right so I'm counting days again. Three weeks and three days. The surgeries were much more extensive than I thought. 80 staples and stitches in areas I wasn't expecting. Everything looked good, but no xrays this trip = that's in two weeks when the pins come out. My car acted up the whole 100 round trip in National Cherry Festival traffic. Luckily, my friend is very calm which kept me from freaking out. I will need to get it in this week. I did freak him out , though, when we got back here and I handed him pliers and asked him to alter the cast. Kind of out of options - it was the day before the holiday and I sure couldn't leave it the way it was until Monday.

My dog walker hasn't shown up today and Moira is looking for him. I will call if he isn't here soon as he can't wait until evening with idiots setting off fireworks early. I can barely handle them if that happens while we're out. My granddaughter took them out yesterday.

It looks like I am going to have to water my own flowers today. That will be fun. That and sewing more quarter circles are my big plans for the day.

I haven't been eating many carbs. Last night I let my son buy me a raspberry shake. It tasted good, but I didn't particularly care for how I felt afterward. Today I made pumpkin muffins - the first in a long time. Wish me luck controlling my consumption - that's what they make freezers for.

KMQ, I'm sure that cake tasted fine. That's #4 daughter's birthday cake so I'll be making one August 4th. I had a similar thing happen last week. I was making a cheesecake for another friend. I had part of it in the crust when I realized I had forgotten the sugar. When I tried to pour it back into the bowl, the crust slid and went too. Whoops. Couldn't feed it to the dogs because Moira can't have wheat. Couldn't bake it then call a daughter to pick it on the way home for her boys who will eat anything as she won't come here after dark because of the bears. So I baked and gave it my friend. I forgot to ask him how it tasted. If it had been for anyone else, I would have topped it with marshmallows and chocolate chips and called it a S'Mores cheesecake, but this doesn't eat much sugar so plain with strawberries was better for him.

I AM losing weight and getting healthier.

Pat, I'd be pretty upset, too. My husband used to get upset with me because I refused to leave the house until I had it cleaned up and cleaned the bathrooms. I hated walking back into a messy or dirty house after vacation. It was always worth it to me to leave for vacation later than we had planned to be able to walk back into a nice clean house.

I'm headed to the gym in a few minutes. My abs are sore from day before yesterday. Need to exercise for my back, it's been bothering me so much!

Irishrose, I can't believe that about your cast. What a bummer! Hang in there.

Blog Entries
    The winner for June is Purl with a loss of 9.4 pounds. That is awesome. Everyone keep up the good work. There were lots of good losses for June. I was not in that category. Too much good food and alcohol in Hilton Head. Purl will be receiving 13 FQ.
    Pat

Blog Entries
    I am not a neat freak at all. Both of my sons had a weeks worth of socks and work uniforms scattered all across my living room and dining room. There were dirty dishes everywhere. Most of it is gone now. Also they never put out a new dish rag EVER! I could smell it when I walked in the front door. I am hoping to get some sewing in today. I am ready to start something new. I am going to make a flag quilt for my brother. He has been admiring mine for years. He has helped me with numerous projects around the house. Hopefully I can finish it for his birthday in October.
    Irish your new quilt sounds beautiful. I can't wait to see it. I hope your cast is better with your modifications. I walked about a mile last night. My knee feels ok this morning. The only thing that bothers me is that I am so out of shape. I have not walked much in months. I see the doctor on Monday and hopefully I can start the shots again. My good knee often hurts more than the bad knee.
    Have a good weekend. The produce it starting to come in from the garden like crazy so I have lots of yummy veggies. So far I have zucchini, onions, corn, peppers and tomatoes. MMMMM I love the tomatoes the best. I need to come up with something yummy to make out of the zucchini for dinner.

Blog Entries
    WOW we have a big group for July. The list is...
    meanmom
    Quiltnan
    bjsmith57
    PamH
    AnnT
    silverfoxmag
    Edie
    KalamaQuilts
    Kimarene
    Purl
    Pete
    irishrose
    Mateoh
    TeddieBearLady
    AnnT
    CindyA
    mjmachin
    MaryMo
    I hope i have everyone. Let me know if I missed you. The fabric themes for the next 3 months are July batiks, August black and white, September pinks. It saves postage to send 3 months at a time, that is up to you. If I owe anyone a PM of my address send me another one. Good luck and healthy eating to everyone.

My Rob walked with me this morning, what a treat. 3100 steps.
    (((hugs))) to all of us!

Wow! Thank you everyone- for 13 fat quarters, but mostly for the support given by our group. It was a very tough month, lots of ups and downs but you guys really kept me focused. I guess it is true that as one gets older it is harder to lose. One of my new favorite tips came from a friend with gluten intolerance. At a restaurant she ordered a California burger without the bun! I have tried it twice and find it very good. But I order the bun on the side and take it home for my fella. And a nice size chunk of the burger for our beautiful 11 year old yellow lab girl, waiting for us at the door.
    13 blue fat quarters! Wow!

Blog Entries
    Fat quarters are in the mail! Off to see my cardiologist and hear him rant about my weight. I am trying - but, fibromyalgia, osteo, and sjogren's have really been bugging me. Add to that I am heat intolerant and don't do outdoor stuff - well - you have a couch potato. Asked hubby for help in portion control. This weekend we are doing the Quilt Quest across Texas - visiting 6 stores in 2 days! Today after Dr appt I may hit one or two to get the row by row patterns.
    Good luck to all this month and may the best loser win!!!!!!
    "Love and kindness are never wasted. They always make a difference. They bless the one who receives them, and they bless you, the giver." Barbara De Angelis

Pat, I don't see my name on the July list, am I too late? I wrote a couple of times, "I'm in", maybe in the wrong spot? Let me know so I could send my FQ in, thanks.

Blog Entries
    You are in silverfoxmag. I went to PT today and the knee doctor. The knee is still sore on the inside of my knee and he said he kinda expected to hear that. I am getting a knee brace to wear for 6 to 8 weeks. It will hopefully stretch that side of the joint and help it. He does not want to do a knee replacement He says I am too young.
    I need to behave myself and get some of this weight off. Also keep up the PT. The leg is still weak. I am making stuffed zucchini for dinner tonight. We will have cole slaw and peppers with dip. MMMM!

Blog Entries
    Ladies we need to put our forks and spoons down. There are some beautiful batiks here! I have received FQ from Edie, Purl one month and Pete 3 months.
    The PT is getting boring. 2x a day. I know if I don't do it the knee will never recover. I am going to try 15 minutes on my elliptical today. PT said to try it and see how it goes. We are going to my brothers lake house in a month and I need to be able to get up and down a pretty steep hill to get to the lake.
    I am slowly getting caught up around here from being on vacation. The boys cleaned up the majority of their junk around here.
    Everyone eat healthy!
    Pat

Some very helpful tips here including how to eat at a buffet, parties, weekends and vacation. Hopefully I will remember them when I need them.
    http://www.everydayhealth.com/diet-a...40708#/slide-1

Just checking in
    bjsmith57

Good morning Gang!

I hit 10K steps before 10 AM, can you tell it's lawn mowing day? I'll finish tomorrow morning, I quit the second the sun hit the lawn.

Pete, what are you on for the fibro, if anything? I have a (long and boring) story if there are more than the two of us that have it..?

PURL!!!!! my snail mail treat came, PERFECT! Thank you so much!
    Watch your snail for the return journey.

hugs to you all, GET WELL SOON to all of us I'm in an ! sort of mood today I think !

Kalama, I don't have fibromyalgia, but know folks that do. I'd love to hear your story sometime.

Pete, I have a physical coming up soon and have put it off becuase I know she's going to get on me about my weight (again).

I went back to my old yoga instructor. She is so good, I feel like a new person!

I've been waylaid by discomforts .... made an appointment to see dr. for back muscle spasms after of clearing out brush, but by the time I got there I had a popping case of poison ivy. Trying to stay calm and away from the kitchen. Then computer service went out after thunderstorms Monday night, finally got service back today ... and still trying to stay calm. Only 9 more days of itching .... and no scratching. I've been watching lots of old movies and reading un-memorable books. As blisters dry up I'll be able to sew again .... and get FQs mailed. Right now I don't want to wear anything or touch anything ..... maybe a canned soup and toast diet?

Congratulations Purl and have fun with all those FQs!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast