Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: July weight loss

Blog Entries
    Cindy my guys left the same one out for over a week. I could smell it when I walked in the door. How can they not notice these things. I made zucchini bread this morning. I drove around most of the day with it in my car it smelled so good. It was still hot when I put it in my car. I made Cincinnati style chili for dinner, I put it over strips of zucchini. It was good, the texture was a bit off, I should have cooked it a little bit longer first. I made it to 2 of the 7 stores for the Christmas in July shop hop. I swore I wasn't going to buy anything. HA HA! Did I really believe that. I bought 2 striped fabrics to use as binding on a quilt. I like to cut it on the diagonal and use it that way. Hopefully it matches. I also bought a gorgeous light colored batik to use as a blender. the 2nd shop has a lot of unique fabrics. They supposedly only buy ethically produced fabrics. They have quilte a selection of aborigional fabrics and batiks.
    I received 3 months of FQ from Teddybearlady and 1 month from mjmachin. So pretty.

Blog Entries
    I have been using the Garmin Vivo...it counts my steps..well it give me a goal and then the steps count backwards until I make the goal then it goes forward. I have had it for two weeks now and it has really helped me alot to get modivated. What I have found is I get 0 exercise quilting and sewing..so I try to take a break and walk around the house and then the block a few times. My husband has been great, he will walk with me around the block...he never did before this...but he knows I have a daily goal. I highly recommend it if you need modivation. Also I have lost inches but only a few pounds on the scale. I now got rid of the scale...muscle weighs more than fat. Good luck to all with your journey.

Hi all, took a mini vacation from my food plan yesterday but happy to say back on track today. Middle eastern food is one of my favorite things and hadn't been to that particular restaurant in ages, made a decision to go for it and I'm glad I did, it was delicious! One has to have a treat now and then and that was mine. Hope everyone is reasonably on track with there plans, only 11 more days to go for those beautiful batiks! Good luck!

Well crap. I had a great big post, touched something with my wrist and it's gone. &%$*#@
    Just pretend you are reading something interesting and motivational see you all on the morrow.

Blog Entries
    For the first time I entered some quilts in the county fair. My avatar quilt won best of show!! I haven't been there yet to see it. I will hopefully make it tomorrow to see if any of my other entries have won anything. I entered 5 things. One of my friends from my guild called to tell me.
    I grilled some steak for dinner. We had grilled peaches for dessert.
    Pat

Grilled peaches sounds really good, Pat! I've never made them. Congratulations on the quilts! I'm sure it will be fun to go to the fair and see them on display.

I had some peaches today and were disappointed. They were not juicy and were a bit tart. Maybe I'll go to the farmer's market tomorrow. I had a very healthy dinner and am fasting now because I have a physical tomorrow morning. I'm afraid I'll forget that I'm fasting and stick something in my mouth! I know the dr. is going to tell me to lose weight! I made it to the gym this morning and pushed myself a little more and am so glad I did. It's nothing great, I'm only up to 20 mins of aerobic activity (bike, elliptical, treadmill) and a few weights. Even better - tomorrow is my yoga class with my favorite instructor!

Congrats Pat!! That is awesome. I've never entered anything in our fair but I do enter quilts in our local quilt show. It is not judged so no winners or losers.
    I had a nice weekend with my mom. Even got out and walked a couple of times.

Blog Entries
    Congratulations, Pat. Our fair is coming up and I have a couple I could enter. Your avatar deserves to be best of show.
    I'll chose a batik tomorrow and get in the mail. It won't be hard - they are strung over one side of the family room.

My weight loss is stuck. I really need to get out and walk, but that's a while off. The pins are out and the first Xrays look good, but the doctor told me when this cast comes off, a big boot goes on. I tried to resist, but it didn't work. One of the new plates is very large and one rather small. Do I even want the cast off? At least the foot is immobilized now so the pain isn't too bad. 9 more days. I told my friend that we are going on a road trip afterwards. I won't be climbing Sleeping Bear sand dune, but I want to go up that way and go through the Pierce Stocking drive. I won't drive in Traverse City traffic with my 'wrong' foot and Tom likes to drive my car so it works out just fine.

Blog Entries
    Irish, glad to hear it is healing nicely. It is so hard to behave yourself after surgery. I rode my bike 2 miles yesterday. I also noticed last night that I went up the stairs without holding on to the railing. It is getting close to 100% better. The PT asked me if I was glad I had the surgery. Oh yes! 2 weeks after surgery it felt a lot better than before. I have a brace I am supposed to wear most of the time. I just got it on Friday. It pushes on the outside of my knee to open up the joint on the inside so I can start getting shots again. I'm not sure it fits right. It seems like it is too big. I am going to have the PT check it out today. Then I am going to go see my quilts:-)
    I had a hard time parting with one of my batiks. Every one of them I picked out I just couldn't part with. Batiks are my favorite, even the ones that are colors I don't like I can't part with. I guess I should quit eating so I don't have to.

Blog Entries
    Went on the Quilters Quest shop hop last weekend. 7 stores in 2 days. I'm sure I didn't lose weight because of the wonderful snacks and lunches provided, but, I know I lost $$$. Looking at the row by row challenge ----some are so beautiful. Just might contemplate doing it.
    This is a fatigue week for me, as was last week. Took me 3 days to unpack my purchases.

I empathize with KalamaQuilts. I, too, have fibro plus Sjogrens (fatigue, joint pain, etc) and Carcinoid (joint pain). Never know which is bothering me. Now I have a Bakers Cyst that needs draining so am not doing my balance exercises.
    Bought a Fitbit --- tossed the receipt and lo and behold it didn't work! Had to bang on it more than several times to see the numbers, I walked a mile on the treadmill and it registered 22 steps. Took it back, but since I paid cash, they would not replace it. Lesson learned ----keep receipts or charge.

10 more days until the end of the month ---let's really dig in and concentrate on bettering our lives. May the biggest loser win the batiks and the rest of us - may we lose and never regain!
    Last edited by Pete; 07-21-2014 at 06:25 AM.
    "Love and kindness are never wasted. They always make a difference. They bless the one who receives them, and they bless you, the giver." Barbara De Angelis

I"m not surprised, it is a gorgeous quilt.

darn it, my post is gone again. Poot.

Blog Entries
    I went to the fair today to see my quilt. I didn't have much time to look around. My star quilt has best of show. I also entered a Christmas wall hanging that won 2nd place and a bag I made that won 2nd place. Very happy with the results. I need to figure out how to post pictures from my iPhone.
    We had grilled peaches for dessert last night. Tonight I wasn't so good, I had chocolate truffles.

Just checking in - have a great day everyone.

bjsmith57
    bjsmith57

Blog Entries
    bjsmith, are you planning on a batik quilt? You make sure to check in every week so I have a feeling your weight loss is going well.

Pat, I almost took the dogs on a very short walk Sunday night, but my son called from New York just in time. He wants me to wait for the boot as it should be more stable than the cast. I can only bear weight on my heel so going over backwards on rough pavement could happen. I can see it now - if I fall over, I can't get up alone without a chair or something nearby. I would have to call a daughter or my friend and sit and wait. If I do decide to try it, I will have a phone with me. Saturday was my first day upright (with crutches) and today is only Tuesday. Patience has never been my strong suit.

The front of the circle quilt is nearly done. I love it. I can see where I will need to duplicate it in my colors. I guess I'd better get busy and drop some pounds so I can see what color batiks our group has added. The rusts, greens and blues are gorgeous, but I want pinks and reds for me. I have most of the blocks done for the back, too.

I AM losing weight and becoming healthier.

Hi Everyone! We just got back from our trip to Scotland and Ireland and we had a wonderful time. So much history. We met so many wonderful people and I really did not want to come back. The countryside was spectacular and the flower gardens that we saw were fantastic. Too much leg swelling this morning to brave the scale but I will jump on tomorrow morning. Vacation is over. The flight from Shannon, Ireland to Chicago was not so bad but the 5 hour layover in Chicago was awful. We left Shannon a 11AM and got home at 10PM. My sister who stayed with mom during our time away had cheesecake and cookies waiting for us on our return. ( Oh joy, Oh rapture!) I did taste a little evening and now I just want them gone so that they don't keep calling to me. It is time to get back to normal.

Meanmom, congratulations on your quilt entries to the State Fair. I hope you will be able to post photos. I am sure we would all enjoy seeing them.
    Kalama, my mom lives with us and is 89 years old. In the last two years we have been watching her decline. Although her dementia is sill early, we know that things will just continue to progress as there is no halting dementia. I am glad that my two oldest sisters were able to come to stay with mom to allow us to take our trip. They staggered their time so that there would always be someone here. At least they know first hand about her decline.
    Hope everyone is doing well this month. I am only hoping that I don't cry tomorrow morning when I brave the scale. We did walk quite a bit during the vacation and I even managed to get in 5 miles of walking at the airport yesterday while we were waiting for flight.
    Have a good week everyone.

Pete, it may need a fresh battery.
    Go to https://www.fitbit.com/store and at the bottom of the page is the Help section.
    They may be able to reset it from there, or determine if the battery is low.
    They may ask you to mail it back.

You will need those registration numbers from the packaging though, I'm sure.
    I do truly love my fitbit zip.

meanmom, you knee wrap probably IS too big, because your leg is slimmer now.

I was going to weigh this morning and was fully dressed before I remembered.
    I finished part three of the lawn minutes before it started raining, it all looks so pretty. Instead of Baptist Fans I did Clamshell design 3400steps at 10 am. Yesterday and the day before I did over 10K.

I have two little hens singing the egg song. The little 6" rooster is molting, he has one lonely tail feather left. What a sweetie.

KQ, are you doing quilt designs in your lawn?
    I should be doing something while the baby is sleeping but instead I am watching american ninja warriors.

Blog Entries
    I did it. I went for a walk this evening - only to the corner and back. I think the furgirls are pulling for the dog walker as they had to have a quick refresher course in how to walk like lady. I'm sure we were a sight. 2 dogs, 1 large, 1 medium, a walking stick, and a bright yellow cast all the way to my knee.

Blog Entries
    My DIL, granddaughter, her mom and the dog made it safely here from Japan. It was a long tiring trip. They didn't have any trouble getting the dog on a flight from Japan. The airlines wanted a fortune to fly the dog from Chicago to OH so my DS had to pick them up in Chicago. It is a 5 hour drive. I spent 2 days cleaning the house for them. I am exhausted. Hopefully the stupid military will deliver the furniture when they said they will this time. They first promised it on July 7, then the 17th now it is supposed to come on the 25th. As of Monday it was still coming as scheduled. My sons friend said it took 6 months to get his furniture. I don't know why things involving the military have to be so screwed up.
    My GD is so cute, she is 2 1/2 months old. I got to hold her for the first time yesterday. I only stayed for a little bit after they got there.
    Irish glad to hear you got out on a walk. I hope your foot is ok today. I need to can tomatoes today. I don't feel like doing it. I have the kitchen cleaned up so I can work.
    I was hoping to go to the fair this afternoon. It is raining so I hope it clears up by then. I was going to get my DH to go with me. Time to quit procrastinating and get to work.

You must have been quite a sight, Irish! Glad it all went well for you.
    Pat, you know we'll need to see a picture of that precious baby girl. Those mixed race babies are beautiful. I hope to have one sometime in the future.
    I always thought "slow boat from China" was just a saying but it took 3 months one time when my daughter sent a box from Korea. If that is how that furniture is getting here, it may be awhile.
    I guess my son got married last week while on vacation. I guess it had always been her dream to get married in a lavender field so while they were in the south of France last weekend they had a little ceremony. My daughter got certified online. I don't know if this is a legal marriage or not. I'm thinking not.

Blog Entries
    I think that was my last walk until the cast comes off. I'm sure the plates are okay, but the skin feels a little irritated. Too much friction. I can hold off 6 more days. Never thought I'd be looking forward to a boot - I've always disliked those, but never I've had one.

My handyman is supposed start painting the trim on the house today. He's now an hour and a half late. I don't know why I put up with it - yes, I do. He is goodhearted, does good work, works at a reasonable rate, will do anything I ask and he needs the money.

Chiropractor app't today. That may a waste of time of money when I'm walking lopsided.

I'm working on the back of the circle quilt - the front is ready for borders. I love scrappy when other people do it, but I drive myself crazy trying to distribute colors. I am now replacing several blocks as I don't like the way they blend. I know, just sew it together. I tell my daughter it all matches once it's sewn together, then waste time doing this. I think I'll take a break and make an apple pie. That I can do.

Pat, how exciting to have your family return. 2 1/2 months is such a sweet age. You will enjoy spending time with your granddaughter. Is this your first GD? I know you have a couple of GSs. I've had to drive to Chicago for flights. 5 1/2 to 6 hours if traffic on 80 is moving.

I AM losing weight and getting healthier.
    Judy

Checking in. I finally finished a quilt top I've been working on. Now I have to find just the right fabric for the back. I'll post pictures one of these days. I had to go stay with my mom yesterday while my dad and husband went out of town to do yard work at mom and dad's river house. Mom is having back problems and can't stay by herself. She's had some decompression treatments and next the doctor is going to have her doing some traction treatments. She really is a lot better. I think I told everyone on here she turned 80 in June. She hates being down. Monday, my husband and I took my aunt to her final appointment with her foot surgeon. He released her and said she was "good to go". My aunt is so excited. She said she had already been practicing driving up and down her street! She's 13 months younger than my mom. haha Can't keep those two still for very long. It's pouring down rain and gusting wind again here. I think it's settled down now. Have a great afternoon everyone.
    Debbie, The Teddybear Lady

Hey gang, everyone pounding down to the month finish?
    I'm taking the day off today, mother started hollering at 4:30 and didn't stop until about 9...
    so I'm tired and grumpy. Which is silly, I usually get up around 5 AM anyway. I like that morning sewing time in my own quilt room. That is where I'm making strings from shirts, simple.

I have my other Janome set up across from her chair in the living room. Right now I'm making paper pieced flying geese out of shirt scraps. I can follow something with numbers surely Sooner or later she'll get mad about something and start hollering so that is a spot I come and go from.

I forgot to weigh for a few days and blew right past my sorta goal, 155. That is what I weighed the day I went for breast cancer surgery and have inched up ever since. So there I was at 154...I felt like that Paul Newman movie where he was in prison for lopping off the heads of parking meters. They used the prisoners for road gangs, and one day the got the idea to work like mad, and they ran out of gravel before they ran out of road. They just stood looking at each other What now?

Thumbs up everyone...one less bite at a time.

Blog Entries
    Wow Kalama awesome job. That is about the number I am looking for. I don't know how you do it with your mom. I am a huge stress eater. I have major stress right now so major misbehaving on my eating. At least what I have been eating isn't too bad, just too much of it. We have tons of stuff from the garden to eat now. I have been throwing in some chocolate and cookies too.
    I don't know where everyone has been. Almost no posts for a week. I picked up my quilts from the fair today. As soon as I got in my car the rain let loose like crazy.

Blog Entries
    DOn't know where everyone has been the last few days. I posted the August thread. Don't forget to sign up.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast