Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: July weight loss

Blog Entries
    KQ, I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in 1983 so I'd like to hear your story. I have a massage therapist who has helped a lot, but I need to start putting some space between my visits to him. I wish my insurance included massage therapy. I have had some success with supplements, but would like to hear what you have to share.

MaryMo, the same supplement that helped the fibro helps my muscle spasms, too. I want to try yoga when I can walk again. I do have some reservations about being the oldest person in the group. I'm trying to get the instructor to have a senior class, but so far, no luck.

I will find a batik and get it in the mail. I certainly have enough to chose from. I just had a muffin and I don't like how I feel. I do not eat carbs in the evening - now I know why.

I AM getting healthier and losing weight.

irishrose, all my yoga instructors have stressed it's your yoga practice, so try not to worry or think about the others in the class and do what you can do. Also, if you're not happy with one class try a different one and/or a different instructor. I just went back to my 'old' instructor this week and only 10 mins into the class I already felt a better stretch than in my other yoga class. In my most recent class the other students had known each other for a long time and would chat and make jokes during class. In hindsight, I think with the chatting going on I was unable to fully relax and focus on the yoga.

I have a bunch of fruit to wash and cut up and veges to cook today. Here's to healthy food choices today!!

Blog Entries
    Oh, I have my instructor picked out and he will be perfect. It's just my mental block I have to get past - who wants to be the old whatever in a class of pretty bodies? That's why I've asked him to consider a senior class.

Do you ever feel like you spend half your life waiting? Handyman is late, dogwalker is late. Oh, well, I'm not due anywhere until 3:00.

I cut veggies yesterday. Trying not to eat too much fruit because it's more sugary. I do have a pineapple that's calling my name.

What's for dinner? I bought a roast and now I don't want it. I don't like to freeze meat, but I guess I'll have freeze it until I have company. My son is a beef eater.

Just checking in. The roofers are here again today. We had a storm in June that knocked down lots of trees all over town. One big black walnut tree beside our house fell and took off the corner of our roof. Other limbs poked holes in the front part of the roof. I've got my fabrics together for the next three months, just haven't mailed them. Hope everyone is having a good day.

I placed my (3) three month fat quarters in the mail to you today. Thanks bjsmith57

Quote Originally Posted by meanmom View Post
    WOW we have a big group for July. The list is...
    meanmom
    Quiltnan
    bjsmith57
    PamH
    AnnT
    silverfoxmag
    Edie
    KalamaQuilts
    Kimarene
    Purl
    Pete
    irishrose
    Mateoh
    TeddieBearLady
    AnnT
    CindyA
    mjmachin
    MaryMo
    I hope i have everyone. Let me know if I missed you. The fabric themes for the next 3 months are July batiks, August black and white, September pinks. It saves postage to send 3 months at a time, that is up to you. If I owe anyone a PM of my address send me another one. Good luck and healthy eating to everyone.
    bjsmith57

Certainly glad it is Friday! Trying hard to stay away from all the sweets and carbs, but I work at a condominium building where we have many great ladies who love to cook but don't want to eat all of it! Well, they bring down a "sample" for us and what is a gal to do?? I have been trying to put it all someplace where I cannot reach it and then just take a taste so I can tell them how good it is. Oh, but some of the stuff is sooo tempting!

MaryMo, would something as simple as Benadryl help? I've never had an itch it couldn't stop.

I'm getting a little basket of houses built! Mother's behavior is so crazy sometimes working on something with numbers is all I can cope with I probably have 40 or 50 finished.

Today she decided to pour water over one of her oldest framed pictures. Those old pictures are all she remembers now. I took the water away from her but you can't reason with dementia so I hope the photo isn't ruined.

I'm only up to 5K steps today, took my walk at 5:30 AM, it is going to be in the high 90's here for a week.
    This house will be miserable because I can't close down the shades in front, mother would have four cows.

I'll be back later with my long story about fibro
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by KalamaQuilts; 07-11-2014 at 10:33 AM.

Those are some cute houses in that basket! I hope we get to see the quilt when you get it all put together.
    Tomorrow will be a challenge. Baby shower in the afternoon and then going to the fair. Fair food for dinner! I plan to share my favorites that I just have to have. At least I will get some walking in.

Blog Entries
    I received 3 months of FQ yesterday and a little cash for mailing them out from mateoh. They are so pretty. One of my quilt guild friends has been bugging me to enter some of my quits in the fair or other places. She is a quilt judge so I am taking her advice. They are of course due today and I still need a hanging sleeve on one of them. I am entering my avatar and a few other items.
    I am going to have a tough weekend. My GS 4th birthday party is tonight. We are having pizza and I made strawberry cheesecake. He loves cheesecake and wanted a Spiderman cake so I topped it with homemade strawberry jelly and took some white chocolate and made a spiderweb on it. Tomorrow we are having dinner at my sisters. Kinner won't be a problem as she is a lousy cook. (my elderly Uncle told me that she obviously doesn't use the same cookbook as my sister and me). Everything has to be thrown together in a hurry and be low fat, that doesn't mean it has to be tasteless. I am making raspberry tiramisu for dessert. My cousin is here from Iowa and it is her favorite. Hopefully there won't be any leftovers.

Pat, my fat quarter went in the mail today. Good luck to all! I'm still pondering what to do with my June win but I've narrowed it down to 2 patterns.
    I had a difficult time sticking to my plan over the holiday but I'm back on track now, still a long way to go. Best wishes for all you gals trying to keep in control and for those who are struggling at this time. Big hugs for all of you!

My fat quarters are on their way too!
    This morning I cut up a cantaloupe and watermelon. Monday I will be getting peaches and blueberries from a semi delivering fruit to the area. No excuse for unhealthy snacks in this house - at least for a few days.
    Hubby is getting ready for the bike ride across Iowa, which starts next weekend. Today he plans to ride 30 miles, take a break and then ride another 30 miles. They will ride between 40 and 80 miles per day for 7 days. Ugh! Not me!

My package of blue fat quarters came today! 13 beauties - no 2 alike. Oh my, what to do? Love this problem!! Thanks so much!
    Pat - my tip on Fair food that works for me is that if I absolutely can't resist the onion rings or mini doughnuts, I get in line, get my order, take one out and turn around to the person behind me and give the rest to him or her. I love the look or comment that follows.

Blog Entries
    Pam I used to do that kind of bike riding. I really like a spinning class. I hope to get back to one sometime. I rode my bike about 1/2 mile yesterday. It is a good stretch for my knee. Just a little bit painful. Every time I pedal over the top it hurts. Once it loosens up it is OK. The PT said this was actually good for me, just start out slow. It has been way too humid to do much outside here. It is supposed to cool down this week.
    The strawberry cheesecake is in my refrigerator calling my name. I will have to cut it up into individual pieces and put it in the freezer. The freezer is in the basement so I have to really need some to go get it. Usually I stay out of things down there.

Blog Entries
    I received FQ today for 3 months from PamH and bjsmith57. They are all so pretty. I have found the the cheapest way to send the FQ for 3 months is in one of the manilla envelopes that are about 5"x7". The cost is about $1.60 to $1.65. One FQ will fit in a legal sized regular envelope. These seem to be the least expensive way to send them. Everyone is pretty quiet this month.
    Pat

Pat, I just put 3 FQs in an envelope and they're ready to go out in tomorrow's mail. Sorry it's taken me so long.

I've been more careful with what I'm eating - and I GAINED 4 lbs!!! What's going on? Maybe it's too much fruit and the few visits to the gym (my muscles are getting too big? Hahaha). OK, I'm going to decrease fruits, increase veges, and continue at the gym. I have to miss yoga tonight, bummer. Mom has a dr's appointment. I felt so good last week after I went back to my 'old' yoga instructor. I can do a make up class on Saturday, but it won't be with my favorite instructor. I'm making sure I stay hydrated in this heat and humidity.

I can barely get on here long enough to write a short post let alone a long one

Back to Fibro.
    Did you know it has a new designation now? Nerve end neuropathy
    Did you know that most of us have four things in common? Sometimes going clear back to the teens.
    Insomnia, poor memory, Pain of course, depression.

For those of you who don't have it, if it often narrowed down by the trigger points. (image below)

The first time I went to a doctor for it I was 40, it took me 26 minutes to get down the stairs. I told Rob if I passed out take advantage of it and just drag me to the car.
    It was diagnosed as arthritis by an emergency physician who prescribed muscle relaxants and pain meds.
    Not knowing any different I sort of lived with it until I was 55. By then I was missing work, not by days but by weeks.

I made a dr appt. and told him I was at the end of my rope and I had to have some sort of class in pain management or I was literally going to put a bullet in my head. We talked for awhile he ask where it most commonly hurt and I said here on my hip and here on my collar bone. He looked at me for a minute and then said "Sharyn, that isn't you hip, that is your upper buttock, The hip is in the front. That isn't your collar bone, that is here."

Well to tell you the truth I always wondered where the bones were that were so full of arthritis
    So he left and came back with a fibro handout with all those pressure points noted and I about fell off the chair.
    YES. YES, that's me!

One way I was REALLY fortunate, was I hadn't had a lot of misdiagnosis because I hadn't brought it up nor did I have any other health issues so I wasn't on any medications. So I know and will thank Dr. Carroll until my dying day, that what he put me on was a miracle drug as it was the only thing, there was nothing to confuse the results.

He put me on nortriptyline which was one of the earliest anti-depressants which was a spectacular failure for depression, but in the case studies they found people with chronic pain were finding some relief. I think it is probably considered 'old school' and not one of the bright shiny drugs the salespersons are pushing this week.

There is a starter kit, you begin with 10 mg a night and over (I think) four weeks you see where you find relief.
    It took me about 3-4 months to find the perfect spot but what a life changer. And I haven't a clue how it works. How can it know to make something not hurt that would have laid me out flat on my back before?

It helps with insomnia issues, a lot in the beginning, not so much anymore but I've found my own weird workarounds.
    And because I was sleeping better, that first year, behind my back, I lost 10 pounds. I was so surprised, back then Rob and I were weighing in on New Years and calling it good
    And I kept right on losing a pound a month until I got down to 149.

When I got cancer (twice) my weight inched up, probably around 185. With your help and my fitbit zip
    I am back down to 156 today.

anyway the point of my long post is if you haven't tried it ask your doctor if you can.
    Thus spake Sharyn, and the sun came out

hugs to us all, some days we need em in spades.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kalama, thanks for sharing your story. And for taking the time to do it, I know that is difficult to do right now.

Hey. Had to come back on while mom is eating

I just got a notice from fitbit I've walked 250 miles since May 23 when I strapped that puppy on.

Yowza!

Sharyn, I can't believe how long you suffered without getting help for all your pain. From what I have learned from friends with fibro, it seems like a good night's sleep is one of the most important things to help get some control.
    I haven't been doing too bad with my eating but I have slacked off on my activity. I really need to get back at it. I haven't gotten 100% of my goal for several days although yesterday I got 94%. Today I got some Georgia peaches and Michigan blueberries. The cherries have been amazing too. Plenty of good healthy things to snack on in my house.
    Guess I'd better get moving if I want to win those batiks!!

Blog Entries
    Not sure if I remembered to post it but I have 3 months of FQ from mateoh. They are so pretty. I really like the black and white one. I guess I will have to behave myself in August so it can be mine!

Blog Entries
    I received a batik today from silverfoxmag. Very pretty.
    I spent the day cleaning my DS house. He just recently got out of the Navy and is in the process of moving his family here from Japan. His wife and daughter and MIL will arrive on Tuesday. I cleaned the kitchen. WHat a mess. I am going back probably on Sunday to do the bathrooms. I had PT this morning. I think I am too tired to sew tonight.

I overdid it a little today with food. Not as bad as I used to do but bad for my healthier lifestyle. Tomorrow I am driving to Iowa to visit my mom for the weekend. I am packing a lunch and snacks to eat on the way. Of course the peaches are getting ripe now so I will take a few of those along for snacks. I'm sure my activity will be down for the weekend with driving about 800 miles and seriously my mom sits all day every day. I'll try to get out and walk in the mornings before it gets too hot. Have a good weekend, everyone!

Merciful Journey pam. My mom sits all day ever day too. Part of it is just her nature, she prefers to be entertained rather than entertain herself. Always has. The last two mornings I've caught heck for smiling at her.

I didn't get much activity in yesterday, the day was too fractured. I need to run into town in a little bit, I'm going to take advantage of the flat surface and tear along with my fitbit. No matter where I walk to here, it is always uphill coming home

Blog Entries
    I received 3 FQ from Cindy A yesterday. I am going to the Christmas in July mini shop hop today. Not sure how many I will make it to. I am also going to talk to my elderly uncle who lives alone and drives. He has no business doing either. He fell last Sunday at my sisters. I am going to try to talk him into getting a thing we saw that is like a life alert that will call up to 4 phone number that you program into it. We worry about him falling and he can barely get up on his own. He also has a shower where you have to step into a tub. Very scary. He admitted to falling in the shower more than once. It only took him 20 minutes to get out.

I just spent two days in the car and am SO stiff! Luckily, I was able to do a "make up" yoga class this morning and that helped a lot. My eating wasn't great in the car but I did well with meals. I took it easy with the continental breakfast and had a spinach salad for lunch yesterday. I'm cooking plain chicken and broccoli for dinner. I haven't lost any but I always feel better when I'm eating better. Pat, I thought of you when I got home. The dish cloth and towel were the same as when I left. At least they didn't leave the sink full of dishes.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast