Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
June 2012 Weight Loss adventure with a prize!!!! >

June 2012 Weight Loss adventure with a prize!!!!

June 2012 Weight Loss adventure with a prize!!!!

Old 06-22-2012, 07:53 AM

hi, konnie! glad you're here! it really helps to have a place to learn new weight losing tricks, and have the support of all of us that have either been there, or are still there! lol. this can be a long journey. try for a lifestyle change, better nutrition, more movement and lots of water (64oz. a day). sometimes i feel like a water balloon!
Old 06-22-2012, 08:40 AM

Good Morning!!! First WELCOME Konnie - this is a great thread.

Irish and meanmom I need your help. I finished the swirl, but I know I cut them wrong to start. But I continued and sewed them together anyway. After you cut 21.75 to 18 do you go to the other strata and cut the 17.25 to 12.75 and then go back to the other side of the first strata and then to the other side of the second strata? I cut totally the first strata and with the second I started with 12". I think I missed one cut. Anyway my mind said one thing and then I thought the other. Didn't turn out so bad for first one, but....
[ATTACH=CONFIG]343902[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails autumn-spicy-swirl-final-001.jpg  
Old 06-22-2012, 10:07 AM

everose-- it looks great! i'm still stuck on my fabric choices. i think mine is going to be orange to yellow. i'm still afraid to cut!!
Old 06-22-2012, 10:17 AM

Nancia, I so know where you are. I looked at these fabrics for awhile before I could. That's why I don't seem to get a lot done. Now scraps are another story. I had to remember, this is my first one. I will get better with each one I do. So just go for it and start. Now to decide for a backing fabric.

Irish and meanmom, did you use the same for the binding and backing?
Old 06-22-2012, 10:20 AM

Thank you! I will be sure to watch for the link and sign up for July! Everose, your swirl is beautiful!
Old 06-22-2012, 10:22 AM

do you bind it or birth it?
Old 06-22-2012, 10:22 AM

It is as gorgeous as I knew it would be. You do such a good job putting fabrics together. You're right. You missed cut #19. There is more than a 3/4" drop in that area on both ends. At least it is symetrical. Do you have a big enough scrap left put in? It would only means ripping out two seams. If not, then love it the way it is.

That's why I place mine on the back of the couch, not on the design wall so I can see the progression. Working with a 10 degree ruler and fabrics that shrink slightly in width, I have no leeway, but you should have enough to cut the missing one. Measure #18 and add 3/4" - I think that's the one you need, but check for yourself before you do cutting. At any rate, congratulations on getting the swirl together. You must sew faster than I do.

edit: I bind mine. At first I thought I would use two colors and switch where the edge changes color, but I decide that was obsessive and just went with one. Backing: some $1 a yard stuff from WalMart - batting: Pellon fleece interfacing - I prefer the non fusible. Gives it a nice hand and something to quilt, but flat enough to be safe with candles.

Last edited by irishrose; 06-22-2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:00 AM

Irish, don't have fabric left. I cut one twice. So it's the way it is. Suggestions for next fabrics????? Pellon sounds interesting. I don't think I have ever used it for table runners. And how did you quilt?

The problem is that I am ready to try it again. This time I will check to see that the width is okay. One of my fabrics was narrow and I couldn't make it as big as I wanted, but it sure seems big.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:02 PM

I have not been doing as well as I should havent even weighed myself this last week because one day dI ate a whole bag of chips I hadnt read yet that chips was our forbidden food this week Why did I even buy chips in the first place I do not know I guess the flesh is just to weak. My daughter is coming today for a 3 day visit she will be asking what I have been eating and give me a good lecture she isnt a nutritionist but she should be last time she visited she purged my cupboard of all forbiden food and together we went food shopping and bought the right foods we also tried some grains and ect that we had never tried before. I love vegetables so I have no reason not to be more successful on this journey. I have found the fat quarter I will be sending lol as I am sure I will not be the winner.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:39 PM

Di, I did that on my first one, but I was able to recut the needed one from the wrong one. At least the one I needed was smaller. Yours is gorgeous and no one will notice if you don't point it out. Are you going to birth it? I haven't been brave enough. The Pellon fleece is a 45" wide interfacing and is sold with the interfacings, not the battings, at least at JoAnn's. So far I've only quilted with little loops running down each color, but it seems to keep with the swirl effect.

Sassey, do you have Cindy's address? You and I are going to be the last one mailing this month. Mine is going out tonight or tomorrow. If you 'have' to buy chips when they aren't taboo, then get the smallest bags. The ones that were 3/$1, but recently went to $.50. I have given them up, but I used to buy single servings so I couldn't just go grab another handful. I want ice cream right now, but I'm settling for a cup of coffee and some grapes. I don't drink coffee and I don't like grapes so why that combo???????