Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: June weight loss

Have an awesome trip, Pat!! So glad your knee is 'cleared' for activity before you head to the beach.

Have a great vacation, Pat. Sounds wonderful. I went to Hilton Head several years ago and loved it.

Pat, have a wonderful vacation! Take care of that knee.

I'm quiet because mother has been exceedingly difficult. It is hard to treat her with courtesy and maintain some kind of balance.
    I'm not stress eating though!

Fast food places have better salads than restaurants these day. Take a bottle of your light dressing and you've got lunch or dinner dialed.

Thinking of you KalamaQuilts. It's tough. So happy you're not stress eating!!!

I've been reading and thinking about you all, hoping the stress does not get to you. Vacations, caring for parents, struggling with decisions etc. don't make for thinking clearly about food choices easy but if you can do it, I proud of you .... that's the change I'm working towards. Many thoughts and prayers to all of you ......

Here are some tips for keeping your produce fresh as long as possible.
    http://www.everydayhealth.com/pictur...on_20140625#01

Blog Entries
    I started emotional eating this evening and stopped by asking myself what would I gain. Obvious answer - pounds, but it wouldn't change my disappointment. Doctor's office called this morning and changed my a'ppt to an earlier time. Then his assistant called and changed the day to NEXT Thursday. She said he wants the staples in for 15 days on people my age. The first a'ppt open was actually 17 days which I think is way too long. I was so looking forward to getting a sturdier cast - this one just isn't very heavy and it's split down both sides. It's pushing the staples into my skin at the base o f the big toe. I know stop whining and live with it. I need to able to move around more - can I do seven more days?? I guess I have to. I can do quite a bit in a cast, but not this one. Wah, wah, wah.

On the way to dinner last night, I accosted a young teen age boy and hired him to walk my dogs. He only took each dog for 20 minutes today, but that's more than they have getting for the last week+. I hope he's in for the long haul. The shy dog won't go with just anyone.

Hope everyone is doing well as the month comes to a close.

I AM getting healthier and losing weight.

Finally figured out my "hill problem"! My wonderful fella drives me up (way up) a set of hills to the school where I walk the track as many times as the knees and hip will let me. I am up to 4 times round on this second day. Then I walk the 1/2 mile down the hills to home. With my sticks keeping the joints in alignment and keeping me from toppling, I think I am on my way. We asked the school, and they were delighted the community is using their facility.
    Win win

Blog Entries
    Purl, what a great idea! when I was between dogs, I used walking sticks and I really liked the extra workout in the midsection and less pressure on my ankles. Can't do it with a Flexilead in each hand. My shy dog hasn't adjusted to going without me yet. I will still insist because she needs the fresh air and exercise. The little one more willing, but she's not as bouncy as usual, either.

Oh Irish. Doctors. Pffpft. Scared to death someone is going to sue them so they go WAY overboard the other direction.
    How about on your 14th or/and 15th day call when the office opens and ask for a emergency appointment space. I'm with Kaiser and they always have those but you have to be fast on the dial. Personally I think the state of your cast IS an emergency.

I managed to not lose my temper today, not once. I was going to reward myself with a dixie cup of those malted milkball easter eggs I have buried in the freezer. I got a Dannon light and fit greek yogurt instead. They are quite thick so I can take some time over each spoonful, sort of like an ice cream cone.
    I'm going to try freezing one.

I have a bunch of walking photos on my camera. I hate how windows 8 works so there they sit, undownloaded
    I was wondering today, did any of you grow up on a country place/farm? My favorite playing place was under HUGE trees, just like my own little mini house. I have a (creepy) neighbor who has a grove of fir in his front yard and underneath looks like a great place to go hide out from the world. I won't, but it makes me smile to think I could.

I've walked 2.16 miles so far today, that 5438 steps. Hardly anywhere near the 'healthy' goal of 10000. Better than none I say!

Judy, I hope you can work it out to get your cast off at 15 days. Doesn't make sense you should have to suffer more than necessary. Praying for you.
    I am at 97% for my activity today but I don't think I have enough energy to get up to 100%. Also doesn't help that my hip is killing me. It's a challenging weekend. Hubby's birthday today and he wanted a chocolate cake with fluffy white frosting. The frosting has crisco, butter and sugar. So bad. Tomorrow is a graduation party and sunday is my SIL's birthday. I will be baking a cake for him too.
    Kal, I grew up on a farm. Plenty of cool hiding places to be alone. Really necessary in a family with 9 kids.
    Last edited by Pam H; 06-27-2014 at 07:24 PM.

Blog Entries
    Pam, I am not suffering. Sorry if I sounded like I was whining. I am cozy in my one level house with a wheelchair, three walkers, crutches and a cane though the crutches aren't working out this time. Because only my heel can touch the floor, I feel like I'm going over backwards. I was concerned about the staples being in too long, but I have decided that it's Dr L's problem. I trust him completely. We've been together 21 years and I know I wouldn't be walking without him. My daughter just had a knee replaced and she said her stitches were in 15 days so I guess it's not so excessive. Yesterday that daughter bought me a huge elastic bandage and we put it over the one I came home with. With the extra stability, I was able to do my own vacuuming and sweeping and started some sorting some things left over from the remodel. It felt good, but I am going to do more sitting today. My zero gravity chair on the patio is calling my name. Thank goodness for the awning. Redheads do not lay in the sun!

KM, you need to put some crunchy almonds in that yogurt - I like crunchy food when I'm stressed - and your situation is stressful. You have my admiration!!! BTW, it's an old refrain of mine, but I eat nothing with artificial sweetener. Besides the health concerns, it doesn't satisfy your body and leaves you hungrier. I like flavored Greek yogurt with almonds or walnuts, plus plain yogurt added to cut some of the sweetness. I keep plain yogurt for the dogs so we share. Strawberries or pineapple are a nice addition, too. K brought me some local strawberries yesterday. They are wonderful, but the season is so short.

I am working on a Drunkard's Path quilt in batiks. The sewing is easy. The cutting is taking forever. My travel cutting board is on a chair and I'm in the wheelchair with one foot in the air, leaning forward. Good thing no one is filming this. It takes 2 rotary cutters and three rulers for each block. May not be my straightest sewing as I sit crooked at the machine, but the blocks are pressing up fine.

I wish everyone a healthy eating day with just enough exercise at the right time of the day. It's getting very warm here already. Thank goodness for AC.

Blog Entries
    Hilton HEad is awesome as usual. SO far our eating isn;t too bad if I would cut out the alcohol. 3 bottles of wine with dinner last night, there are only 4 of us. I went to water kickboxing this morning and it was nice. I do like water aerobics classes. I need to see what times they are offered at home and start them again. Tonight we had shish ka bobs for dinner. M DD requested them and it is her birthday today. My baby is 22 today. We did a tequila shot at the beach for her birthday. Water aerobic is offered every morning here.
    I am going to post the new thread for July shortly. Don't forget to join for JUly. Also PM me your weight loss. I will be late declaring the winner since I am out of town. I will post the winner on July 5th.

Blog Entries
    Here is the link : July weight loss
    Last edited by meanmom; 06-28-2014 at 07:03 PM.

Blog Entries

Blog Entries
    Woops, vacation brain here. Sorry I didn't get the link up.

Had a big weekend of celebrations. Not looking forward to stepping on the scale tomorrow. This morning we had another reason to celebrate. Found out our son got engaged. Wedding will be sometime next year in China. That should be an awesome trip. Just think how skinny I can be by then!

Irishrose - you're right. Redheads don't lay in the sun. Glad I'm not the only one. I now have a growth on the left temple and couldn't get an appointment until later this month. I called weeks ago. My dermatologist wants me in at least once a year. Before it's all over with I'm going to be one of the folks that needs long sleeves and a hat to go outdoors at all! Glad you are able to sew a bit, even with an awkward set up.

Pat, ENJOY the trip!! I'll send the FQs a little late since you're away and I don't have them yet.

Pam, I'm in the same boat. I've had so many celebrations (birthdays with kids at school, 5 boys in the family graduating high school, etc. etc.) that I'm AFRAID to step on the scales. It's not going to be pretty. I had so much stress eating, too, this month. Oh well, that just gives me more to accomplish in July, right? LOL

Blog Entries
    Judy I think we just get tired of not being able to do what we want after surgery. Vacation is wonderful. SO relaxing. We are eating ok. Lots of wine though. I also have a drink every day at the beach. Hopefully there won't be a gain this week. I am getting some exercise. We do water aerobics and every morning and we walked about 3/4 mile on the beach yesterday. My knee felt ok so we will probably go further today. No 5 mile walks this year though.
    Wow a wedding in China. How fun. My son got married on Japan. I gave us a good excuse to go there.

Blog Entries
    My GS married a girl from China, but the wedding was here - just 100+ miles. He was teaching EASL classes - ( whoops, English As a Second Language) students and found his wife there. It was an interesting wedding. The bridesmaids and groomsmen were African, Vietnamese, Chinese, Spanish and 3 North Americans - the groom, his brother and a friend. This is only a partial picture.
    Name:  100_0195.JPG
Views: 66
Size:  1.22 MB

Pat, I know what you mean about not accepting limitations. I was out of the wheelchair too much yesterday and my foot was sore and didn't stop overnight. I was freaked out this morning and called the Dr's office for the first cancellation. I've settled down since and have resigned myself to three more days before I can do anything. It was pretty major surgery and only two weeks ago today, so I have to be more patient - not my strong point.

It's too bad I didn't sign up in time this month. I actually am losing weight. The cast and I together have dropped below an important 0. Woohoo!!!

Time to go cut out more circles. The sewing is easy, thank goodness. It's a scrappy batik Drunkard's Path - I'm wishing at this point I'd chosen some favorites and not done scrappy, but I'm in for the long haul. I don't want to scrap these.

wow, wonderful multi-cultural, Their kids will be so lucky to have an open environment.

I was NOT excused from Jury duty next month. I guess I'm supposed to take mom along? I don't have anyone to watch her. Kind of a dangerous situation I guess, but that's the way it is. I do pet sitting for a lady, maybe I can talk to her. The problem with jury duty is you don't know until the night before if you are called in. and then you don't know if you'll be sent home or on a 4 month trial. Heaven forbid! I've served four times before it is always interesting, but MOM...what am I going to do with MOM

Something to think on..
    hugs to you all, Sharyn

That is a great wedding picture. Such an interesting mix of people when they are teaching ESL. If they would have the wedding in Korea, where they live, I'm sure they would have a similar mix but I doubt many of their friends will travel to China for the wedding. Sounds like they will move to China next spring and get married some time after that. A few years down the road they may move to the US. I sure hope so!
    Sharyn, I think you should take your mom along with you to jury duty. They can find someone to sit with her if they want you to stay. I'm sure you will be sent home right away.
    I picked a gallon pail of strawberries this morning. Boy, are they yummy! Just have to figure out what to do with all of them before they spoil.

Blog Entries
    Kalama they wouldn't let you out of Jury duty as a hardship case? Good luck. We went to a margarita tasting today. MMMM! We got 3 one regular, one cranberry and Amaretta. I think I liked the last one the best. We cooked tonight and had a pretty healthy meal. My brother and I do all of the cooking. There isn't any water aerobics tomorrow they are serving pastries instead. Probably not going. THey will try to sell tours while we are there. I guess we will have to go for a walk instead. I have been doing 10 minutes on an exercise bike too. The PT recommended it to stretch my knee.

I agree ... beautiful wedding picture. and beautiful wedding dress, all their dresses and suits are outstanding. It must have been a delightful wedding.

I was hoping to go on a short vacation but am now spend that money fixing a vehicle and trimming a tree that sorely needs it ....
    Someday I'm actually going to go somewhere but in the meantime I'll go to Youtube to find some outstanding sunrises and sunsets while having a glass of wine.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast