Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: June weight loss

Blog Entries
    The total weight loss for our group last month was 32.5 pounds. That is fantastic.At WW my leader used to say to visualize a pound as a pound of butter. WOW that is a lot of butter. Awesome job everyone.
    I had PT yesterday. She was pretty tough on me. I was sure I was going to be sore but it actually feels better today. I still can't quite straighten it or bend it enough so I am still using one crutch It will be nice to get rid of that. I am heading to the mall today to return a couple of things. I am trying to work out in my mind the shortest route to get to the stores I need.
    The weather is gorgeous today I will have to go outside this afternoon.

Thank you all for your kind words. I'm very happy with those pounds gone but don't expect to lose that much each month. It would be nice but it doesn't work that way I know. mateoh had a great idea, report on total weight lost in our group beside the most lost by an individual. As far as I'm concerned, we are all winners weather we lose, stay the same, or gain a bit, just as long as we keep trying. Marie

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by meanmom View Post
    I have FQ from the following people right now. Cindy A,Susanna 10, mateoh, Teddybear Lady,lauriejo, meanmom, Pam H, and Purl. I also have a FQ form Martha T in Pittsburg, KS not sure of the screen name. If this info isn't correct please let me know.
    Pat
    Pat-
    you should have my fat quarter - I sent it in with the May one.
    Friday was GNO--pizza and ice cream sundaes accompanied a game of Mexican Train. Well, I lost at the game, and I know I did not lose at the weight challenge. Luckily, we only do this once a month ( this month twice as our friend from Germany will be in)
    Last edited by Pete; 06-08-2014 at 12:19 AM.
    "Love and kindness are never wasted. They always make a difference. They bless the one who receives them, and they bless you, the giver." Barbara De Angelis

Blog Entries
    Sorry Pete I do have your FQ. I just missed your name when I was typing the list. I am getting bored with the knee rehab.I am just ready to get back to normal. I went to the mall yesterday, just a quick trip then the grocery store. I only got a few things at the grocery. My knee was done by the time I got home. I spent a lot of time with ice on it. I continues to get better every day so it is making progress.
    I made shish-ka-bobs for dinner last night they were so good. It is a good way to sneak in more veggies. I think I am going to try to stay off of my leg today to rest it. Everyone have a good day.

Umm, shish-ka-bobs sounds good, meanmom. I'm about to make my grocery list for the week. It's going to be a long week as we head into the home stretch with students so I think I'll do fresh veggies tonight but bring in some frozen veggies to get through the week without having to prepare too much. This is the first year I've ever had the kiddos make Father's Day gifts, but since we are going so late this year. . .

We had my nephew's high school graduation yesterday and it was SO hot out, the sweat was just rolling down our faces and backs (gross, I know, sorry). It wiped me out for the rest of the day. The temp really didn't get that high, but something about the way we were sitting facing the sun and packed in like sardines just made it miserable. So many of the older folks had to leave early. The security people were so kind to them making sure they were ok (I know, because one of the people that had to leave early was my mother).

I didn't go to yoga this week and boy is my back feeling it. The drive is so far and the class isn't until 7:30 pm, I had talked myself out of it by the time I was supposed to leave the house. I was SO tired I couldn't imagine staying out that late and having to drive home. I've been trying to do it on my own so my back won't go out on me. I did some this morning when I woke up but I've been sitting at the computer working for a while. After I make my grocery list I should do some more yoga to keep myself stretched out.

Here's to good choices today.

I have a challenging few days. Last night we celebrated our anniversary. It will be 35 years tomorrow. Went to the nicest restaurant in town. Very small town. Very few options. Today we had a potluck after church for the minister leaving. Monday thru wed I will be at a quilt retreat. I just might not be going to WW on wed am to weigh in. The next week will be less challenging.

Pat- did you get some ideas for limited carb breakfasts? Have you googled Paleo breakfasts? I was really stalled until I read your post and thought I would give low carbs a try. The pounds are dropping since I started Saturday. It's an easy diet for me and I think I can stick with it. Other parts of the world consider breakfast just another meal without assigning a different set of food to it. Why can't it be a bowl of soup or salad, or bulgur wheat or leftovers from a tasty evening meal?? And I have been eating an orange instead of drinking juice. Boy does that fill a person up! With a hard boiled egg, I'm good to go until lunch.

Blog Entries
    I met with my nutritionist today and i think my problems with what to eat for breakfast is what I have been eating isn't on my list. I have been lazy for months and have been eating a smoothie. The one I have been using is a mix, very simple, very filling not bad tasting. It keeps me full until lunch, just not on this plan. School is out in a few days and I will have some time to think up better things. I do really like some of the paleo recipes. I guess I will actually have to make something for breakfast now.
    The last few days of school will be really challenging. The class has a pizza party tomorrow we won a contest. Wednesday is someones birthday so we will be ordering from a restaurant, Thursday our class has another pizza party and Friday is the all school cookout. I just might win the most pounds gained this month. I am also supposed to meet a friend tomorrow for drinks and appetizers then go to quilt guild meeting.
    I received a FQ from Marie today.

I've been under a lot of stress the last few days. The storm we had last Thursday was called a "land hurricane". It took out trees and power lines all over town. Our neighbors tree fell and hit the corner of our house taking the roof with it. Other limbs poked holes in the front roof. We are now waiting on a tree removal service and the insurance adjustor comes next week.

I did finally go back to my weigh in today. I was up, but I have a better attitude now and I know I can do this.

Blog Entries
    Oh Teddybear lady glad to know you are OK. yes that is so stressful. He had a land hurricane a few years ago. We were without power for a week. SOme here were out longer. There were hardly any gas stations open. Hopefully things will get back to normal soon.
    2 more days of school! I am so ready to be out. We are taking apart the classroom. Hopefully we will finish so we can get out of there on Friday.

Teddybear Lady, so sorry to hear of the damage but very glad no one was hurt. Hang in there, and hopefully it will all be fixed soon.

My left heel is hurting!! When I had xrays done a year or so ago the dr. showed me that I have bone spur. At least I think that's what he called it. I could definitely see it on the xray. I went in for a different reason but I knew my heel had been hurting me. Now that I've seen it on the xray it hurts worse (all in my head, I know LOL). Anyway, it's really bothering me lately, and I just tried heat on it. Didn't help. Maybe I need ice next time.

My 21 yr old son received bad news today and I came home and ate myself silly. Obviously a stress and emotional eater. Anyway, now I feel awful!! I had a salad for lunch, at least I got something good in me before I went crazy. Tomorrow is another day.

Pat, yay!! We are starting to pack, too. Our students last day is the 20th.

Tomorrow is a new day.

Just did a little research on heel spurs. Looks like best treatment are stretching excercises and ICE not heat. Should've have checked first before I applied heat. Off to get my ice pack . . .

I was so very sorry to read about the damage to your home, Teddybear Lady. We had hurricane damage here in Houston and Katy a few years ago and although I was fortunate enough not to have damage to my home or property, several of my co-workers had similar damage to yours. I hope that the repairs and clean up are going well. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

I have been back to work for a few weeks now on full duty. The arthroscopic surgery for the radial tear to the meniscus went very well and the pain that I had from the flapping tear when I would walk was gone immediately but unfortunately due to some arthritic changes that I didn't know I had until after my injury, had continued to wake me through the night. I didn't need to take any pain meds, just change position and then, there was also the start up pain in my knee when I would get up from sitting too long and start to walk. Well, about a week ago my orthopedic surgeon gave me a Monovisc injection to my right knee. It is a viscous gel that helps lubricate the joint and I was hoping would fill in the gap where the meniscus had to be removed. Well, overall I have to say it was a success. I do have a little discomfort after working two 14-15 hours a day as I spend most of my day walking quickly around the unit, but I sleep much better now. My surgeon told me I can get another injection in 6 months if I need it but told me that there are some people that go for a year before needing another. The Monovisc is pretty new on the market and rather than a series of three or four injections, it is a one time injection and I did not find it uncomfortable at all.

Also, thanks to finding this board and the support for weight loss, I am down 23 pounds from the time of my surgery. I have more to go but I can't help but believe that the weight loss will help protect my joints from any further injuries. It is wonderful to be able to share struggles and successes with all of you. I am going to continue with my weight loss goals One Day At A Time.
    Have a great weekend everyone.

Blog Entries
    The month is almost half over. I have been on hyper speed trying to get ready for my foot surgery so I haven't posted. Next week I will be a lady of leisure so I can check in more often, but I'm not going to weigh myself with a heavy cat on m leg.

Teddybear Lady,I'm sorry to hear of your housing issues. I love my pretty red metal roof so maybe something will come out of all this. Meanwhile, you are in my prayers. Don't less the stress drive you to snacking instead of having the calories you burn doing clean up count for something.

Cindy, plantar fasciitis is nasty stuff. What we found works best is the stretches done on the edge of the stairs to stretch the tendon - not right away in the morning, of course. And heel inserts with the donut hole. Congrats on your 23 pounds.

Thank you everyone for your comforting words. The tree guy came the last two days and got the tree off the roof and off the back porch awning. I'm not stressing so much now. I did go weigh in today...I was down 4.8 lbs. I worked with my husband dragging limbs to the front yard and have been drinking water like crazy. I guess it payed off. Next challenge is on Sunday. Our church is having a cookout Sunday for Father's Day. I know I can eat right as long as I don't wait too long. I get out of control when I don't eat on schedule. The next weekend on Saturday, June 21, we are having a birthday party for my mom who will be 80. I think my whole life revolves around food!

As for the storm damage...
    We have the insurance adjustor coming next Wednesday. I'll just be glad when all that stuff is over and we can start with the repairs. Our town looks like a war zone! So many old and big trees brought down by that high wind. A lot of tarps on roofs throughout the town. There was 2 deaths from the storm. So sad. Today is the first day it hasn't rained since a week ago Thursday. I'm not used to so much sunshine in my house. haha The trees that came down shaded our house. I hope my Hosta flowers don't mind more sunshine.

I'm going to try and post some pictures of our storm damage on the Personal Diary page.

Time to go drink some more water! haha

TB lady, I looked at your pics. That must have been so scary. So sorry for all the damage you had and all the work to get things repaired or replaced. My heart goes out to the families who lost loved ones.

Hope everyone had a good weekend. We were very busy with invitations to 2 graduation parties and Father's Day to celebrate. I did not do badly, though! I actually didn't eat anything at either party, but there was lots of milling around so it wasn't noticeable and I didn't feel rude. I just wasn't hungry so just drank cold water. Sweets are my weakness and one of the parties had a beautiful cake but I enjoyed just looking at it without having to actually eat any! We went out for Father's Day and I cut my meal in half and brought it home. I was full when I left and it felt good not to overeat. We have more parties and celebrations coming up, I hope I can be this good for those events, too!

Irishrose, I've been getting a good calf stretch in and it has worked wonders! Before I got back to the stretches it was hurting even when I wasn't standing, I HATE that. Now that I've been stretching it already feels better. Thanks! Also, wish I could claim those 23 lb lost, but it was someone else (can't remember who).

Good job, Cindy! I have not been so good lately.

I thought I was doing pretty good at my eating/not eating until this past weekend....yikes!
    Don't know what was going on, but I stayed in all weekend and I guess ate the wrong things. It was there....so I
    ate! Back on it again starting yesterday so maybe I didn't do too much damage.
    It sounds like a lot of surgeries have been going on for everyone on the board. I am looking at possible carpal tunnel surgery on my right hand. Has anyone out there had this done....if so, what is the recovery time? How long before I will be back to sewing??? It will drive me crazy sitting and looking at all my fabric and not being able to dig in and play with it!! But it will be a good time to get off my back end and do some walking again. Maybe this will be the push I need.

Blog Entries
    surgery?? Did someone say surgery. I had 8 procedures done on right foot yesterday. I am sitting here with my 'toes above my nose' with a very large cast on. The nurses in recovery freaked me out by telling me I had to be non weight bearing for 2 weeks. The doctor and I had agreed that I had to able to put weight on my heel. There is a huge difference. Keeping a foot from touching the ground would be difficult living alone. I did it twice for 2 months each time, but I still had a husband then and no dogs. The doctor stopped in and reaffirmed that I could use the heel. I have a wheelchair, 3 walkers and a pair of crutches so I'm good to go. He wanted me in the hospital for two days, but I went the surgery center and came home. Hospitals are for ill people and I just needed repairs. Riding 50 miles with that particular daughter was an experience, but we made it safely.

I will stay off the scales because I have no idea what the cast weighs and to see the figure of me plus it would be demoralizing. mjmachin, you can do my walking for me. I was up to two miles on most days. Both my older daughters have had carpal tunnel surgery. I think K was back to work in a few days. I'm thinking f you had a lot of cutting done, you could piece after a few days. Can't be any harder than typing. Pushing down on the cutter wouldn't be good.

I AM losing weight and getting healthier!

Blog Entries
    Irish I hope you have an uneventful recovery. Behave yourself and don't try to do too much. After surgery is one of the few times I do behave. I finally got to get rid of my crutch yesterday. Woo Hoo! I am so glad to get rid of it. My knee feels really good as long as I don't try to bend it too far. I of course have exercises to do 2x a day and ice it 3x. I am working on the bending a lot. The PT is working on my gait. She says I have evidently been limping for so long it has become my natural walk and we need to change. I have to concentrate every time I take a step. I am planning on walking up the street and back tomorrow. I leave for Hilton Head in less than 2 weeks and I want to be able to walk on the beach.
    I got a phone call from my principal today and a letter from school saying that I will be transferring to a different building next year. I will be following the 3 kids I worked with last year. I know several people there so I guess it will be fine. I will miss everyone where I was.
    I received a FQ from mjmachin today.

If only .... it was as easy to come off as it was to put it on.
    If only ..... it was true that the more I exercise the more I lose.
    If only .... the fat would just go away.

I've worked for the last 2 days in the yard trying to get all the stuff that has taken over down to a managable bit ... and **&^%* if I didn't gain 4 lbs! .... and I hurt so much that sleeping is not comfortable.
    Make it a scrappy happy day!

That's a bummer, Mary. I hope you see some progress real soon.

Hugs to all our fallen soldiers !
    I had carpal tunnel surgery last Thursday and hemmed two pair of slacks Monday. Yesterday I did binding all day. easy peasy. I did not have anesthesia because I left mom home alone and was in a tearing hurry to out. Arrived at 6:45 AM was home by 8:30.

Yoga ideas. Have you heard of restorative yoga? You use bolsters and blankets to lean over or rest the joint on and just slowly relax into the post getting the same good from for active yoga. I've been through every yoga dvd on the planet , My favorite is Restorative yoga practice with Deborah Donohue. she wears a lycra body suit so you can see where the props need to be in order to get the right stretch. Two other gentle yoga practices are Yoga Therapy Prescriptions with Laura Hawes and Yoga for stress Relief with Barbara Benaugh.

My fitbit step recorder is whining, I think I broke a bone in my left foot but since I know there isn't anything to be done about that sort of break I've just got it wrapped and am carrying on as usual, with less walking. One thing I've learned over the years, exercise is good for all our parts, but not so much for losing weight. At my weight 30 minutes of dancing only burns 162 calories. 1-1/2 slices of bread... Here's a chart http://www.myfitnesspal.com/exercise/lookup

I don't say that to discourage any of us from getting out of our chairs, but just to remind myself it is the elbow bending, hand to mouth that counts in the end.

hugs and power to us all, Sharyn

thanks Sharyn, I'll look into restorative yoga ... and you say it all so eloquently.
    Make it a scrappy happy day!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast