Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
June2011 Weight Loss Adventure and Prize! >

June2011 Weight Loss Adventure and Prize!

June2011 Weight Loss Adventure and Prize!

Old 06-02-2011, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
Missy, :thumbup: That's a huge weight loss when you consider it was done before the surgery - just a strict resolve to stay on track with your eating and exercise.

Leann, 14 pounds and a dress size is a winner in anyone's book.

Newbies: Any weight loss is great and I'm never sure if we should be striving to lose more than 2 pounds a week. For those of us who have ever attended Weight Watchers, remember the first week for new members when 7 pounds wasn't unusual, then the next week, it was 1 1/2 or 2 on the same food plan. I also remember cutting off my long hair and wearing nothing but a sundress for the final weigh in because my goal weight was unrealistic. Live and learn.

MJ, you didn't hear from me because my weight loss was 0. I lost the weight I gained on the steroids, but only back to the May starting point. I expect better from me this month. 5 pounds, Xylie?? Help!
Thank you so much! It was a long hard road at times but I did it and am so thankful I did. I did not realize how miserable and disabled I was weighing 475.5 pounds. I could have been on one of those programs talking about morbidly obese people.

I feel like a new person even though I am under 400 pounds. I am taking each pound and each inch lost as a victory. As I shouted down the hallway into the operating room "WOOOHOOOOO I DID IT!! I DID IT!!" The doctors and the nurses were laughing so hard and each one of them gave me a hug and a congrats just before they put me to sleep. LOL!!!

I am going to talk to the surgeon on Monday when I go for my check-up to see what he thinks is a reasonable goal weight. I was told that I would have around 40+ pounds of lose skin that will have to be removed after I get down to that weight. I already am excited about the prospect of having a flat stomach for the very first time in my life. Oh how happy that day will be!

Anyway...sorry for writing another novel here. You guys are awesome!

Missy
Old 06-02-2011, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by createfourpaws
Originally Posted by purplemem
Originally Posted by purplemem
Originally Posted by lawsonmugs
Hi Missy haven't seen you on here. Are you doing ok now? Have your nerves settled down? I also would like to know how many signed up this month. Mary
Everyone who has signed up has posted on the thread, remember this is just June 1. We usually have stragglers, especially since I have not closed the other thread yet.

Would anyone like to list or count the participants for us?
Ok if i have gotten everyone we have 51 and they are as follows so if I left you out I am sorry.

1. Purplemem
2. Thusnelda
3. Little roO
4. JHolm
5. Nancia
6. gothchacovered
7. deedum
8. deedee75
9. Ljs317
10. dash2000lbs
11. Trkrsyf
12. NannySandy
13. Irish Rose
14. Red Kimba
15.Rita's mom
16. Radiana
17. Scrapngmom
18.Lauriejo
19.Skaduzy
20.Leann
21.Xilie55
22.createfourpaws
23. Dananva
24. Missy
25. sewNso
26. pinebettquilter
27. pinsninks
28. quilt happy gail
29.bprayeredup
30.cheri62
31. globug
32. thomp116
33. lawsonmugs
34. PamH
35. pnptrapp
36. 76& counting
37. Janice4
38. prairier quilter
39. cricut_farmer
40. mean mom
41. jgriinke
42. physcomomquilter
43. swcrazzy
44. wmuteach
45. LindaG
46. gramabiese
47. pamibear
48. sophie2
49. quiltin'gran
50. buttermilkmama
51. Crafty Chick

Again if I left you I am sorry.

Good Luck Ladies.
Cindy
52. Linz83
53. Kieta
54. Jennifer22206
55. JackieSue
56. Fabricnut
57. patcnunt

Good luck
58. fernheimer
59. sapdoggie
60. linmid
61. mama4dylan

welcome ladies.

Someone is getting lots of fq's sometime in july.

Cindy
number 19 should be skaduzy. Please correct :-)
62. carreen
63. mellieKquilter
64.patc328
65. charity-crafter
66. mimi0f3

I believe I have gotten everyone as of 7 pm centeral time.
I didn't see my name on the list.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Radiana
"And lead us not into temptation."

That's going to be one of my rules for the next month. I was supposed to go out on two different lunch dates this month but I don't feel strong enough to do it. Will power is not one of my talents but from past experience I know that once I feel committed and see results I can go out to a meal. I'm able to order regular food and put half of it in a doggie bag.
Radiana, is there anyway you can choose the location for lunch? If so find some place that offer lots of light meal options. Dont go somewhere that brings bread or chips to the table. It is hard to do but it can be done. I was there myself. And now with being insulin dependent type 2 diabetes it is even a bigger challange. When I know I am going out, I plan ahead with my other meals of the day. I make my Lunch the biggest meal and have a light dinner that night.

Remember we are all pulling for you and you can be successful.

Good luck

Cindy
If you know the restaurant you are going to go to, you can go online and look at their menu and look at the nutritional info..calories, fat, etc. for their dishes. This will help you go in thru the door with a plan. I have done this, but has been awhile.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:47 PM

Was actually 'pleasantly' surprised when I stepped on my scale yesterday...it was down a little over a # than what I was expecting. I find I do alot better weight-wise when I write down everything I put in my mouth every day so am going to get back on track with that this month. I like the idea of journaling too, but I feel as some others do...wouldn't want anyone reading it.

Nancia, I think it's going to 'take the whole village' for me to succeed so better not take you up on your challenge re "across the pond". If you and Thusnelda decide to go ahead, I'd love to 'watch'.

Missy and Leann: Congrats to you both on your successful May.

Xylie: Are you serious? You'll be at your 5#'s this wk-end? you go, girl!!

MJ: Are these threads of yours so hot, they're burning up your computers? Computers are like cars...they're great until they're not working.

The best to everyone!!
Old 06-02-2011, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
Don't think of it as a diet - it's a lifestyle change. :) I'm at 54 pounds gone forever.

And you don't Lose weight. Things you lose come back. They're gone forever! :D
Good point!Guess we're just used to saying it.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by pinsninks
Was actually 'pleasantly' surprised when I stepped on my scale yesterday...it was down a little over a # than what I was expecting. I find I do alot better weight-wise when I write down everything I put in my mouth every day so am going to get back on track with that this month. I like the idea of journaling too, but I feel as some others do...wouldn't want anyone reading it.

Nancia, I think it's going to 'take the whole village' for me to succeed so better not take you up on your challenge re "across the pond". If you and Thusnelda decide to go ahead, I'd love to 'watch'.

Missy and Leann: Congrats to you both on your successful May.

Xylie: Are you serious? You'll be at your 5#'s this wk-end? you go, girl!!

MJ: Are these threads of yours so hot, they're burning up your computers? Computers are like cars...they're great until they're not working.

The best to everyone!!
Yes,I expect my 5 pounds to be off by monday.Last month I had 15 pounds off by the 17th,but with a med change,I went back up 8 pounds,so didn't fair well the last half.Only lost 7 pounds last month,which was great for me,as I been only losing 3 pounds a month.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:41 PM

ok, i give up. how are you losing these large amounts of weight? what program/diet are you using? i can't blame steroids, all mine is put on the natural way, one bite at a time. but i think i like the way you are taking it off! so share!
Old 06-03-2011, 02:50 AM

Friday is my "weigh in day" and when I weighed in this morning I discovered that I had 2# gone forever this week.

That's really good for me as the whole month of May I only had 5.5# gone forever.

Since I've been swimming more my DH says my legs are "hot". He's such a goof. I'm 60 yrs old and I think I lost any chance of "hot" legs yrs ago but I love it when he tells me things like that.

Missy - I can relate to things getting stuck. That happened to me after I had my stomach stappled 29 yrs ago. I was happy to throw up because it felt so good compared to the pain of having food stuck. I always found it amusing that mushy food could get stuck. Keep up the good work, I know you will adjust to your new stomach in time. Be sure to let us know what the doc says Monday. I'm also curious about your avatar. We have a chihuahua but she would never lower herself to allow us to dress her in a diving outfit. I got her a Green Bay Packer shirt and she wears that during the games.

Everyone have a good day. Remember today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Old 06-03-2011, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by JHolm
Friday is my "weigh in day" and when I weighed in this morning I discovered that I had 2# gone forever this week.

That's really good for me as the whole month of May I only had 5.5# gone forever.

Since I've been swimming more my DH says my legs are "hot". He's such a goof. I'm 60 yrs old and I think I lost any chance of "hot" legs yrs ago but I love it when he tells me things like that.

Missy - I can relate to things getting stuck. That happened to me after I had my stomach stappled 29 yrs ago. I was happy to throw up because it felt so good compared to the pain of having food stuck. I always found it amusing that mushy food could get stuck. Keep up the good work, I know you will adjust to your new stomach in time. Be sure to let us know what the doc says Monday. I'm also curious about your avatar. We have a chihuahua but she would never lower herself to allow us to dress her in a diving outfit. I got her a Green Bay Packer shirt and she wears that during the games.

Everyone have a good day. Remember today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Thank you so much Jeanne! You are right...it will just take more time for me to get used to my new stomach. I had a friend send me that picture (the one on my avatar) and I loved it so much so I put it on here. :)

Missy
Old 06-03-2011, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by nancia
ok, i give up. how are you losing these large amounts of weight? what program/diet are you using? i can't blame steroids, all mine is put on the natural way, one bite at a time. but i think i like the way you are taking it off! so share!
Nancia...

I lost my weight this past month by following a diet prescribed by my surgeon. It was an all liquid diet with me drinking 7 shakes a day. Nothing else. It was not easy to do that day after day. The positive thing is I lost about a pound a day on the diet.

The purposed of the diet was to get me below the 400 pound mark and also to shrink my liver before surgery.

The diet that I was on was very extreme and I absolutely had to be followed by the surgeon and the dietition.

On a funny side note...I do not think I will ever be able drink chocolate milk again. LOL!

In combination with the shakes I was going to the gym and walking the treadmill twice a day. When I started going to the gym I could only walk for about 3 minutes. The morning of the surgery I was able to walk for 11 minutes with a distance of a 1/4 mile. That was a HUGE thing for me. HUGE.

If you have any questions, please ask away!

Missy