A kindle ?

Old 07-08-2016, 06:24 AM

I delete books from my Kindle through the Amazon site. Just google for directions.
Old 07-08-2016, 11:11 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Stitchnripper - What about it do you find hard to use? Maybe you just need some help....

Another thought - if you prefer your iPad and iPhone, you can always download the Kindle app, which is free, and read your books that way.
Well, I can use it, just it isn't as intuitive to me as the iPad and iPhone. I do have the kindle app and overdrive on them and do use them. With the iPad or iPhone a few taps and I can figure things out. With the Kindle it isn't as easy, at least to me. I guess I could look on google or YouTube but, haven't had the need.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:05 PM

Thanks for the help on deleting Kindle books via my Amazon account. That worked, but now of course I still have to try to figure out which ones I've read. My memory is so short - I suppose I can read them again and delete them immediately when I finish. Sure glad to know I'm not alone.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:59 PM
mac

I must say, everyone has a valid point about reading real books vs Kindle, etc. I didn't think that I ever wanted a Kindle when you can check a book out from the library for free.

However, after saying that, someone gave me their old Kindle and I love it. I haven't read a real book since. I am actually reading more than I used to because sometimes I didn't have a chance to go to the library. It is easy to put it in my purse when I go to a doctor's appointment and have to wait.

I also found some websites that offer free Kindle books and I haven't purchased a book beyond the few that purchased before I found out about the free websites. You can go on-line and look up free Kindle books to find out what websites offers these.

The only cons that I have about the free books are that there seems to be a trend to make some books cliffhangers and then you have to go to the next one in the series in order to find out what happened in the end of the other book. Most of the time when reading the comments about a book someone mentions that in their comments and I have been able to avoid most of these types of books.

All in all, for right now, I am happy, happy, happy.
Old 07-08-2016, 04:49 PM

I have a Kindle Fire HDX and a Kindle touch -- I also gave my DGS an old Kindle touch I had. I like to read real books (I normally bought them at used book stores or checked them out of the library), but I read fast. When we moved we had to downsize and I had to get rid of most of my books (500+ books). I can get free of $.99 books from Amazon and I can also check books out of the library (without taking a field trip) -- I have about 500 books on my kindles. It was great when we traveled since I only had to take the tablet and not a book a day. I had both my knees operated on last year and took my Kindle to the hospital and the rehab center (also took those "bricks" that I could use to recharge the kindle without plugging it in) and enjoyed reading in my non-PT/OT time. I love it.
Old 07-08-2016, 05:15 PM
mac

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
I have a Kindle Fire HDX and a Kindle touch -- I also gave my DGS an old Kindle touch I had. I like to read real books (I normally bought them at used book stores or checked them out of the library), but I read fast. When we moved we had to downsize and I had to get rid of most of my books (500+ books). I can get free of $.99 books from Amazon and I can also check books out of the library (without taking a field trip) -- I have about 500 books on my kindles. It was great when we traveled since I only had to take the tablet and not a book a day. I had both my knees operated on last year and took my Kindle to the hospital and the rehab center (also took those "bricks" that I could use to recharge the kindle without plugging it in) and enjoyed reading in my non-PT/OT time. I love it.
What is a "brick'?
Old 07-08-2016, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by mac View Post
What is a "brick'?
She probably means a battery-powered charger.
Old 07-08-2016, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by JudyBsquared View Post
That worked, but now of course I still have to try to figure out which ones I've read.
Judy - the Kindle will display what percentage of each book you've read on your home screen. If you've read the entire book, it will say 100%.
Old 07-08-2016, 06:06 PM
mac

Thanks, Peckish. I bought a battery powered charger, but it didn't have any directions. I have not used it and have been meaning to call the company that makes it. Is it so easy that all you have to do is plug the cord in?

This is probably a stupid question, how does the battery powered charger get charged? Does it ever run down?

I'd ask my kids or grandkids, but I don't have any and have had to get into the 21st century at a snails pace. LOL
Old 07-09-2016, 06:31 AM

Thanks so much, Peckish. That does work. I've been removing them from my device to the cloud but now I can download them again to see which ones I've read and then remove from my account. So much help here on chit-chat.