A kindle ?

Old 07-09-2016, 08:34 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mac View Post
Thanks, Peckish. I bought a battery powered charger, but it didn't have any directions. I have not used it and have been meaning to call the company that makes it. Is it so easy that all you have to do is plug the cord in?

This is probably a stupid question, how does the battery powered charger get charged? Does it ever run down?

I'd ask my kids or grandkids, but I don't have any and have had to get into the 21st century at a snails pace. LOL
I am charging my battery powered chargers right now. I use the USB cord - one end attaches to the wall thingy and one to the device. In my case, one of them has another cord that plugs into the device and then into another slot on the device. One of them has the USB thing built in but uses a cord to connect it to the device. Not that hard to figure out. Probably could google a YouTube video to help.
Old 07-09-2016, 09:02 AM

QuiltnLady1, I have 8 full-sized bookshelves in my house. Two of them hold cookbooks. Two are filled with nursing related textbooks. I have tons of sewing, quilting, knitting, gardening, music, writing, and painting books. Most of my books are non-fiction. I usually get my fiction from the library, and the Kindle is very helpful with that. I really need to downsize. My husband complains every time we move. He is an engineer and we have moved ten times during our marriage for the sake of his career. He reads too, but his book collection pales in comparison to mine.
Old 07-09-2016, 09:10 AM

We have 4 Kindles and 1 Barnes and Noble Nook at my house. I love my Kindle and wouldn't want to be without it. But there are several things that I don't like; one of which is how it randomly turns itself off and restarts itself so that I lose everything that I was typing at times. Typing on it can be challenging. It is super-sensitive and I make many typos when I use it. Typing on it also takes a long time for me. I have both love and hate for the auto-correct feature. Some of the words that it replaces in my messages make me look like a complete idiot, but they are also amusing. I usually write xo at the end of my messages to my husband. The auto correct didn't recognize xo and wanted to replace it with odd words, so I decided to spell out hugs and kisses instead. It responded by replacing that with hudson kisses.
Old 07-09-2016, 09:13 AM
mac

Thanks, Stitchnripper, that's a good idea to look on YouTube. I never thought about that. I appreciate the help. As they say, a picture is worth a 1,000 words.
Old 07-09-2016, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by maryrose67 View Post
JudyBsquared, you hit on exactly my problem ! I have around 200 books on my Kindle account, and it got to where I couldn't remember which ones I had read, and which ones I hadn't, so I just stopped downloading any. I like reading books on my phone, but how do you all separate/mark which books you've already read ? I know how to delete books from my account, but it's too much trouble and takes too much time to open every book to see if I've read it.
Somewhere in the Kindle instructions it tells you how to set up groups or separate library groupings. So I set up one called "Books I Haven't Read" and one called "Books I Have Read" among others. When I download a new book I move it into the haven't read grouping and after finishing one I then move it to the read library. Helps keep the Main Page much less cluttered too!
Old 07-09-2016, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by mac View Post
Thanks, Peckish. I bought a battery powered charger, but it didn't have any directions. I have not used it and have been meaning to call the company that makes it. Is it so easy that all you have to do is plug the cord in?

This is probably a stupid question, how does the battery powered charger get charged? Does it ever run down?

I'd ask my kids or grandkids, but I don't have any and have had to get into the 21st century at a snails pace. LOL
You have to charge the battery first. Mine charges off of a computer. It has a cord with a regular USB plug at one end and a mini-USB plug at the other. I plug the regular side into my computer and the mini side into the battery. It has a red light that blinks as it charges. When it stops blinking, it's charged. Then I can charge my phone or Kindle. I flip the cord around - the regular USB plug goes into the battery and the mini-USB plug goes into my device. I normally can charge my phone 2-4 times from the battery before the battery needs to be recharged.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by selm View Post
I'm actually trying to go back to books instead of reading on my tablet. My tablet is big and gets heavy after awhile and I recently found that all that 'blue' light from tablets, computers and phones isn't good for your eyes. I also miss(or don't know how) going back and forth in a book as I sometimes what to do. And I miss the chance to pass a book along to another person.
Those are some of the features I miss with the Kindle. But it is awesome not to have to store all of those books at home. I do eventually do get rid of my paper books, but I like to hold on to them for a while (a long while, sometimes). One book that I haven't been able to use enough on the Kindle is my Bible. I have such a hard time finding what I want to read.
Old 07-10-2016, 01:21 PM

I will be watching more about kindle, as my girls just gave me one 2days ago for my birthday,and there wasn`t any instrutions with it. I`m afraid to touch it and be erasing the books they put on it.
Old 07-10-2016, 04:44 PM
mac

Originally Posted by Barbshobbies View Post
I will be watching more about kindle, as my girls just gave me one 2days ago for my birthday,and there wasn`t any instrutions with it. I`m afraid to touch it and be erasing the books they put on it.
Is it a brand new one, because my Fire Kindle had instructions on the Kindle itself. The first one I got was a used one that was a third generation Kindle and it did not have instructions. I did find a book on my version of Kindle on Amazon and it explained a lot to me.

I didn't think that I would like my Kindles as much as I do. Hope you enjoy yours.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:00 AM

I have a first generation iPad ( loved it) that is no longer able to be updated so I bought a kindle fire. I loved the kindle, used it everyday. Then a few months ago I got the new 12.9 iPad Pro which is awesome. I have many books on it and I have many quilting books on it. Saves on room not having to store the physical books. In the quilting books with appliqué patterns there is usually a link you go to where you can print the pattern, not the whole book. I can wifi print from the iPad to my printer. I have the kindle app and also iBooks. With iBooks I can download and save PDFs patterns from the Internet. I keep the books on both iPad and kindle, when I shop for fabric I carry the kindle since it is so much smaller and will slip into a purse, then I can look up the pattern for correct yard ages, etc. I also use the overdrive app to read books from the library.