Kitchenaid Stand Mixer

Old 08-29-2013, 05:49 AM

My Kitchenaid mixer is one of the first kitchen "anything" that I bought right out of college 30 or 35 years ago!. I figured that I would be cooking all my life, til I die, so why not start out with it. I have also given them as wedding gifts. Years ago, I had the can opener attachment - it stayed on until I needed to mix. Hubby chucked it somewhere along the way (!). I do like the grinders, for cranberry sauce, and even hamburger.
You will love your new mixer!!!

Last edited by SmickChick; 08-29-2013 at 05:52 AM.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:00 AM
Power Poster

I only have the attachment it came with, I love my Kitchen Aid.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:45 AM

Love mine wouldn't be without it. I have the professional model.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:02 AM

I dearly love my Kitchen Aid mixer! Buy one!! Mine is bright red and sets on my counter all the time. It looks cheerful and happy. I only have the dough hook, beater and whisk. This works for me because I bake. I can see how a grinder could be great if you do that kind of stuff.

Mine is used at least weekly to make bread. It gets a major workout for holiday baking. I would not be without it.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:06 AM
Power Poster

My mixer has been a great investment for me. Has saved my hands and arms from a lot of work. Worth the $$$
Old 08-29-2013, 10:26 AM
Power Poster

I got the splash shield but didn't like it -- at all! What I do now, and prefer, is to simply wrap a kitchen towel around the top of the bowl after adding dry ingredients. After I'm done mixing, I toss the towel in the laundry. Much less fuss than using the shield.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Misty's Mom View Post
. Got the shredder and grinder attachments, can't use them, because its too tall to reach unless you're on a stool.
You must be petite. Maybe it would be easier to use those attachments if the mixer was on a table instead of the counter?

I have a funny story about how I got my Kitchen Aid mixer. We were at my sister-in-law's house, visiting. My husband spotted a mixer on a high shelf in the garage. He asked, "Hey, is that the same mixer Mom used to make bread and cookies when we were little?" My SIL said "Yes, but it doesn't work anymore. I think the motor is burnt out." She was planning on throwing the mixer out! My husband offered to take it off her hands. She didn't think it was fixable, so she was happy to get rid of it. We brought it home and he took it apart. The grease around the motor was so old it had solidified, and a gear was broken. We bought a replacement gear for $10, he cleaned out the old grease and applied new, and the mixer is now in excellent working condition. It is an awesome old workhorse, I make bread dough with it all the time. My MIL still had the original manual and gave it to me. My SIL just gritted her teeth when she found out her brother had fixed it. She ended up getting a new one a couple of years later, but apparently it's not as good as the old one; she hasn't been able to make bread with it.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:17 PM

IF you are not in a hurry to spend the $$$. ...i got a great price on my KitchenAid ARTISAN around
Christmas....From Kohls. Used a coupon, rebate, sale price, etc. i LOVE my Artisan for making my cookies at the holidays.

I bought the beater with the rubber scraper attached. LOVE this mixer. I passed my old Mixmaster on to a friend and have never looked back. Love the great colors this comes in too. I bought the red but , boy, I love the apple green.

I like the splash guard esp for pouring dry ingredients while mixing.

You will love it! Congrats!!
sandy
Old 08-29-2013, 02:23 PM

There is a new beater that scraps the bowl I love it it is and off brand ( New Metro Design Beater Blade for 5-Quart KitchenAid Tilt-Head Mixers, White Grey Blades) is the one I have there are several brands I got mine off amazon
Old 08-29-2013, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by mary quilting View Post
There is a new beater that scraps the bowl I love it it is and off brand ( New Metro Design Beater Blade for 5-Quart KitchenAid Tilt-Head Mixers, White Grey Blades) is the one I have there are several brands I got mine off amazon
i stay with the brand the item is. I once used no name ink cartridges on my $199.00 printer...trying to save pennies...the no name (staples) cartridges BENT the printer pins!!!! I had to pitch my all-in-one! I barely used it! NEVER AGAIN will I try to use alternative after market accessories for big ticket items. IMHO and bad and expensive experience.

Sandy